• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LanaM
    Newest Member
    LanaM

Coronavirus

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

Today there is a heated debate going on in our local 3000 person Newfound Lake NH facebook group.  So many locals are angry seeing city folk from the south  coming up here to the mountains.   Personally I feel that it is a free country and anyone can go anyplace.  The local feeling here is that we only have one small community hospital and limited groceries etc. so if a hot spot develops we are out of luck with services.  Such a me verses them mentality.  Crisis brings out the best and worst in people.

Escape from New York 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/wealthy-people-remote-hotels-coronavirus/index.html

30 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I don't know if that is accurate.  I don't know about other health systems but we are certainly testing negative cases who are not sick.  In fact, the majority of people being tested are negative.  Some people just worry that they have it and don't feel sick so they get tested.  I know that we are doing hundreds of tests a day of both patients and employees.  Having said that, about 15% of our beds across the health system are covid related and climbing.

Sounds like you are in a good area.  You can't get tested in a lot of places even if you are having symptoms! (especially if you are on the younger side and otherwise healthy)

Some positive news... they just had about a 30 car parade with a cop leading it off with alot of the towns teachers driving through the neighborhood.. they were yelling we love you and can't  wait to see all of you!! Awesome to see!! My kid loved it!

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Stuff like this....

Untitled 2.jpg

Sounds like a good plan Steve. March right on up there! Ever heard of those thingies called guns?

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Sounds like you are in a good area.  You can't get tested in a lot of places even if you are having symptoms! (especially if you are on the younger side and otherwise healthy)

Yeah I've been surprised by all the negative tests as well. Most likely it's healthcare workers that have been exposed and the hospital's didn't want to take the risk.

21 minutes ago, Drop the Trough said:

I understand the instinctual need to flee if, of course, you have the means/resources to do so. My question is; Why bother? 
My Red Hook/Cobble Hill neighborhood portion of ground zero, I believe, may be safer now, than the destinations of the escapees. I as an 8th decade senior am ripe for viral colonization. I am healthy, take no medications and donate blood every two months. I combine a power walking exercise with shopping for the necessities daily. My local church is sadly but understandably padlocked, however I’m still able to visit and leave a donation at Our Lady Of Rite Aid. The streets, by inner city standards, are nearly deserted. The closest you can come to breaking the six foot rule is when, by happenstance, you pass a rare walker going the other way. Even than, I recall one younger person  seeing me as I approached and detouring a good 15 feet into the street.( at my age I should ditch the hoodie and shades ) Traffic is so lite on major thoroughfares  that you feel foolish waiting for the green light with no cars in sight, either way. At least in my portion of the epicenter folks are adhering to the restrictions. I  personally would not feel safer anywhere else. As always....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

God forbid if this dope ever ran the country I would probably defect to Canada.

You don’t get any principles  credit for increasing snow totals....

Just now, weathafella said:

You don’t get any principles  credit for increasing snow totals....

I would go to QUE but would have to switch to cm.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I would go to QUE but would have to switch to cm.

Bigger numbers!  But you’d have to be fluent in French...serious winters up there!

Just now, weathafella said:

Bigger numbers!  But you’d have to be fluent in French...serious winters up there!

I can speak and understand some but I would probably want to be more remote up to the gaspe.

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I can speak and understand some but I would probably want to be more remote up to the gaspe.

There was very little english when my gf and I were up in Beaupre this past fall. Quebec city itself was fine. 

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

There was very little english when my gf and I were up in Beaupre the past fall. Quebec city itself was fine. 

Friends of mine came back a few weeks back from snowmobiling that area and said the language barrier was a problem in some of the smaller surrounding towns.

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Friends of mine came back a few weeks back from snowmobiling that area and said the language barrier was a problem in some of the smaller surrounding towns.

Yeah for sure. We actually drove up further northeast than that. I was trying to drive up to Mount Raoul Blanchard (highest peak in the Laurentian Range) but got turned around since the mountain is apparently all private logging land...we figured it out via hand signals... 

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You’d probably achieve fluency pretty quickly. 

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Yeah for sure. We actually drove up further northeast than that. I trying to drive up to Mount Raoul Blanchard (highest peak in the Laurentian Range) but got turned around since the mountain is apparently all private logging land...we figured it out via hand signals... 

Yes,They were able to work around it as well.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Today there is a heated debate going on in our local 3000 person Newfound Lake NH facebook group.  So many locals are angry seeing city folk from the south  coming up here to the mountains.   Personally I feel that it is a free country and anyone can go anyplace.  The local feeling here is that we only have one small community hospital and limited groceries etc. so if a hot spot develops we are out of luck with services.  Such a me verses them mentality.  Crisis brings out the best and worst in people.

Oh Vermont towns are hating on tourist visitors right now.  Most locals want nothing to do right now with folks from elsewhere.  There’s some interesting stuff being posted on social.

But the NY plate hate is full on in a lot of places.  Doesn’t help when governors like RI are enacting policies against NY plates. We must have a reason to be afraid of those people if the Govt thinks so!!

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh Vermont towns are hating on tourist visitors right now.  Most locals want nothing to do right now with folks from elsewhere.  There’s some interesting stuff being posted on social.

But the NY plate hate is full on in a lot of places.  Doesn’t help when governors like RI are enacting policies against NY plates. We must have a reason to be afraid of those people if the Govt thinks so!!

If I owned private property up there, I’d tell anyone telling me I can’t go there to go pound sand. 

That said, if I was going there to camp out during the virus, I’d do it properly. Bring supplies with me long enough to self quarantine for a couple weeks. Most people don’t know how to do it. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ineedsnow said:

Some positive news... they just had about a 30 car parade with a cop leading it off with alot of the towns teachers driving through the neighborhood.. they were yelling we love you and can't  wait to see all of you!! Awesome to see!! My kid loved it!

One of the schools in my district did this earlier this week.   We also had a wedding in the city I work in. The mayor got on FB and told people to drive by the church beeping and shouting well wishes as they came out. 
A friend of ours has a daughter who turned 16. She had a long line of cars driving past her house beeping and shouting happy birthday. 

People putting stuffed bears in windows for little kids to look for as parents drive through neighborhoods  Bear hunt

Some good stuff still happening