• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]

Coronavirus

21 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Infant died in Illinois.  Perhaps first one in the world?

21 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The lack of cases in children has been pretty remarkable.  

CHICAGO (WREX) — Illinois Governor J.B. Prtizker has announced the state's first infant death due to COVID-19.

The governor made the announcement on Saturday in Chicago. The Illinois Department of Health reports the infant is from Cook County. An age for the infant was not given. 

“There has never before been a death associated with COVID-19 in an infant.  A full investigation is underway to determine the cause of death,” said IDPH Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike.  “We must do everything we can to prevent the spread of this deadly virus. If not to protect ourselves, but to protect those around us.” Details on the infant's death are not known at this time.

WTH??!!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Drop the Trough said:

CHICAGO (WREX) — Illinois Governor J.B. Prtizker has announced the state's first infant death due to COVID-19.

The governor made the announcement on Saturday in Chicago. The Illinois Department of Health reports the infant is from Cook County. An age for the infant was not given. 

“There has never before been a death associated with COVID-19 in an infant.  A full investigation is underway to determine the cause of death,” said IDPH Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike.  “We must do everything we can to prevent the spread of this deadly virus. If not to protect ourselves, but to protect those around us.” Details on the infant's death are not known at this time.

WTH??!!

Yeah. That doesn’t sound at all conclusive. 

14 minutes ago, LSC97wxnut said:

Oof... 1017 new cases and 9 deaths in Mass.

Do you have the data that says how many are being tested and percent that are testing positive? I thought I had a page bookmarked that had that data but cant find it.

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Just found out that two members of my extended family tested positive in CT. One admitted to the hospital today. 

Sorry to hear that. I have a coworker whose son tested positive yesterday. It's spreading quickly.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Do you have the data that says how many are being tested and percent that are testing positive? I thought I had a page bookmarked that had that data but cant find it.

I'm on mobile now, but I was getting the data from the mass.gov site.

• Thanks 1

Here is a breakdown of the deaths.

The deaths included a woman in her 60s from Essex County who had preexisting conditions and was hospitalized; a Suffolk County woman in her 80s who was hospitalized with preexisting conditions; a man in his 80s from Worcester County who had preexisting conditions and was hospitalized; a Norfolk County woman in her 80s; a man in his 70s from Hampden County who had been hospitalized with preexisting conditions; a Hampden county man in his 80s with preexisting conditions who had not been hospitalized; a Norfolk County man in his 80s; a woman in her 50s in Worcester County who had been hospitalized; and a woman in her 90s from Hampden County.

1 hour ago, cleetussnow said:

Man your right,  unusual for politicians.  Never seen anything like it.  

Oh wait...

Heard an anecdote years ago about a politician being asked to speak at the Firefighters' picnic. 
He asked "How long?"
"Does it matter?"
"Absolutely!  If you want a 5-minute speech, call me in 2 weeks."
"A 10-minute speech, one week."
"30 minutes, about 3 days."
"An hour, call me tomorrow."
"Two hours, I'm ready right now!"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kdxken said:

The deaths included a woman in her 60s from Essex County who had preexisting conditions and was hospitalized; a Suffolk County woman in her 80s who was hospitalized with preexisting conditions; a man in his 80s from Worcester County who had preexisting conditions and was hospitalized; a Norfolk County woman in her 80s; a man in his 70s from Hampden County who had been hospitalized with preexisting conditions; a Hampden county man in his 80s with preexisting conditions who had not been hospitalized; a Norfolk County man in his 80s; a woman in her 50s in Worcester County who had been hospitalized; and a woman in her 90s from Hampden County.

Mortality rate staying steady at around 1%

Just now, kdxken said:

I wonder how many Americans over the age of 65 have no preexisting conditions.... like nothing, not even high blood pressure.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I wonder how many Americans over the age of 65 have no preexisting conditions.... like nothing, not even high blood pressure.

Vanishingly small percentage most likely.

3 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Here is something scary.  Tell me if this is wrong.  I hope it is.  The trend is that it takes 15 days from diagnosis to death.  The rate of growth in the number dead is tracking at the exact same rate as new cases, but 15 days later.  We know that people take 5-14 days to get sick and during that time they are contagious.  The only people getting tested are those sick enough that they go get tested.  It takes about 5 days from symptoms to when people are that sick.  So think about it.....someone who is reported as positive today got sick last Monday 3/23 but could have been contagious since 3/8.  On 3/8 we were all living business as usual.  Most places did not ask people to stay home until the past week.  People who got infected last weekend probably won’t show up in the numbers as sick for two more weeks.  Right now the people testing positive is doubling every 3 days.  So the numbers will double at least 7 times in the next two weeks.  That’s like 12.5 million who will be sick enough to go to the hospital/get tested by Easter even though it’s been about a week of social distancing.  There are 2,000 dead now.  That’s a 250,000 dead in a month ie May 1st.  A bunch of people who will be dead then probably don’t even know they are sick now but they are contagious. If this is right I think we need to buckle up.  We are in for a long ride.  

I don't know if that is accurate.  I don't know about other health systems but we are certainly testing negative cases who are not sick.  In fact, the majority of people being tested are negative.  Some people just worry that they have it and don't feel sick so they get tested.  I know that we are doing hundreds of tests a day of both patients and employees.  Having said that, about 15% of our beds across the health system are covid related and climbing.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

My mom is 66 soon and has nothing. Can't say the same for my dad.

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

With absolutely no health problems probably very few. My guess is the pre existing conditions however would most likely be serious. Patient my friend has in his unit has diabetes, high blood pressure, COPD, and is on all sorts of meds. Didn't think that one would make it. The other patients have similar histories maybe not to that extent

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

My mom is 66 soon and has nothing. Can't say the same for my dad.

I'm 60, not now and have never been on any medications. Just had a physical and everything came back clean and within healthy ranges. Did stupidly smoke for a long time however .

4 minutes ago, borderwx said:

Downtown Newport VT at 2pm...

surreal

49709846107_eb2cc953ff_b.jpg

My wife and I just took a ride through Groton, Marshfield and Berlin. The roads weren’t as busy as usual, some cars at stores but lighter than normal. Not sure how I’d peg compliance here. Of course we were out too but had 0 contact with anyone else. There were cars parked at trailheads in Groton so it looks like people are getting out. 

9 minutes ago, borderwx said:

surreal

49709846107_eb2cc953ff_b.jpg

That's how NYC looks but with some people

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, mreaves said:

My wife and I just took a ride through Groton, Marshfield and Berlin. The roads weren’t as busy as usual, some cars at stores but lighter than normal. Not sure how I’d peg compliance here. Of course we were out too but had 0 contact with anyone else. There were cars parked at trailheads in Groton so it looks like people are getting out. 

Moosup on a busy Christmas shopping Saturday?

Just now, mreaves said:

From what I've seen compliance has been excellent.

12 minutes ago, borderwx said:

surreal

Stowe's been the same way for a over a week now.  Driving at 7pm the town looks like its 3am.... just no one to be found anywhere.  So eerie...when on a March weekend the town would normally be packed with spring skiers, every restaurant full etc.

But that shot is impressive... 2pm on a Saturday and ghost town.  Like something out of a movie.

• Like 1

Today there is a heated debate going on in our local 3000 person Newfound Lake NH facebook group.  So many locals are angry seeing city folk from the south  coming up here to the mountains.   Personally I feel that it is a free country and anyone can go anyplace.  The local feeling here is that we only have one small community hospital and limited groceries etc. so if a hot spot develops we are out of luck with services.  Such a me verses them mentality.  Crisis brings out the best and worst in people.

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

Today there is a heated debate going on in our local 3000 person Newfound Lake NH facebook group.  So many locals are angry seeing city folk from the south  coming up here to the mountains.   Personally I feel that it is a free country and anyone can go anyplace.  The local feeling here is that we only have one small community hospital and limited groceries etc. so if a hot spot develops we are out of luck with services.  Such a me verses them mentality.  Crisis brings out the best and worst in people.

Screenshots?

• Weenie 1