moneypitmike

Coronavirus

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Some Vermonters have wished they could ban tri-state plates from entering for years now.   ;)

Lol. That’s true. Not me but I’ve certainly heard that sentiment expressed plenty. I just want people to be thoughtful about their actions. If you go from one area to another, be smart about it. When you get there, get what you need smartly and apply the same restrictions to minimize contact with other people. Realize when you go to an area that may be your normal vacation spot that it’s not business as usual when you get there. You’re just moving the location of your isolation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

Obviously surgery is different. Doctors want to minimize the risk of infection to a patient. But hospitals are not begging people to donate masks now because they're worried about giving critically sick people their germs. They're worried about their own safety.

i get that, but you asked why have doctors worn them for decades, so i answered.  this situation hasn't been around for decades. they wear them to protect the patient from them, which is the intended purpose of the mask. You want to make a surgical setting as sterile as possible for the patient, not the doctor. Masks were designed to provide protection from the host. i'm not saying there isn't reason for everyone to wear one in a crisis such as this, but that's not what the CDC said merely a week ago. they should be wearing a different mask also.

• Weenie 1

53 minutes ago, kdxken said:

They do offer protection. Keeps you from putting your hands near your nose or mouth. Which would otherwise be impossible.

agree, but so would a scarf, turtle neck for skiing, whatever, you just need to cover your face.

even duct tape. j/k don't ban me.

• Weenie 1

52 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

My wife has been making masks with disposable filters for the family and her job.

They say vacuum cleaner bags are the best.

Just now, Drop the Trough said:

people are confusing masks with respirators, such as n95.

N95 are only used when caring for a infected patient.  Other hospital employees are wearing surgical masks

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Drop the Trough said:

I dunno man, maybe they all invested in mask companies. or ask the CDC.

or maybe they don't want to give germs to high risk patients, like those having themselves cut open in surgery. Like the CDC said, more to prevent the spread than prevent the cause.

have surgeons worn them for decades because they were afraid of having to get surgery too? because i didn't see massive use by general practitioners in office settings, even during times of the flu.

you have it backwards.

So I went to the doctor 2 years ago because he wanted to do a flu swab (which came back positive).  There were no masks in town to be found even in the doctors office waiting room.   I go in and doc is wearing a mask.  I asked:  “are you sick?”  He says:  “no you are and I don’t want to be”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So I went to the doctor 2 years ago because he wanted to do a flu swab (which came back positive).  There were no masks in town to be found even in the doctors office waiting room.   I go in and doc is wearing a mask.  I asked:  “are you sick?”  He says:  “no you are and I don’t want to be”

so that's the norm? I don;t think so.

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, Drop the Trough said:

so that's the norm? I don;t think so.

Yes that’s the norm.  Hospitals in the Boston area are increasingly requiring every employee to wear a mask which they distribute daily at all times when on the premises during the current pandemic

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kdxken said:

N95 are only used when caring for a infected patient.  Other hospital employees are wearing surgical masks

people are confusing hospital employees with the general population.

this conversation started re: masks and the general population

moved on to CDC recommendations

moved to lies

moved to discussing masks versus respirators

moved to to doctors

moved to....it's all over the place

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, weathafella said:

Yes that’s the norm.  Hospitals in the Boston area are increasingly requiring every employee to wear a mask which they distribute daily at all times when on the premises.  

Can confirm.  Sister-in-Law works at a MGH clinic and they are required to wear a mask at all times when in the office, regardless of if there are patients around or not.

Just now, weathafella said:

Yes that’s the norm.  Hospitals in the Boston area are increasingly requiring every employee to wear a mask which they distribute daily at all times when on the premises during the current pandemic

we were talking about the last decade, then you brought up an anecdotal story from two years ago, which I reponded that's the norm? (meaning from two years ago), which it wasn't)

now we've somehow moved to this week?

no, that wasn't the norm two years ago when you visited the doctor, it is now, I get it.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, LSC97wxnut said:

Can confirm.  Sister-in-Law works at a MGH clinic and they are required to wear a mask at all times when in the office, regardless of if there are patients around or not.

we all understand that's the norm now, hence the reason there are no masks. My wife works in healthcare and sees patients every day. the conversation was about pre: pandemic.

• Weenie 1

CDC was lying to maintain the supply of the masks for first responders...
Read a lot about this on Reddit. Taiwan and Czech Republic say their cases are low due to wearing masks

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

BreakingNews: #Italy reports 5,974 new COVID19 cases and 889 new deaths. Total now 92,474 coronavirus cases and 10,023 deaths including 51 doctors : Italian Health Official

Brutal.

• Like 1

Yeah the total just stays up there.  New cases slightly up,  deaths slightly down but mostly just noise.  This is going to be a long haul.  It's going to get tougher and tougher to have people self quarantine.  
Is this just a delay to staying inside in other parts of Italy or something else?

30 minutes ago, Drop the Trough said:

we were talking about the last decade, then you brought up an anecdotal story from two years ago, which I reponded that's the norm? (meaning from two years ago), which it wasn't)

now we've somehow moved to this week?

no, that wasn't the norm two years ago when you visited the doctor, it is now, I get it.

It most certainly was in flu clinics all over the place!  

• Like 1

Since SARS in 2003, you have found folks on the street wearing masks.  Not a lot. Now the frequency is increasing at least in the immediate Boston area and metro west.

• Like 1

My daughter had a nasty virus with pneumonia in November while living for a few months in Madrid.  Flu strains tested negative.  Wonder if she had it....

19 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yeah the total just stays up there.  New cases slightly up,  deaths slightly down but mostly just noise.  This is going to be a long haul.  It's going to get tougher and tougher to have people self quarantine.  

Deaths will go down it's getting the low-hanging fruit.

Here is something scary.  Tell me if this is wrong.  I hope it is.  The trend is that it takes 15 days from diagnosis to death.  The rate of growth in the number dead is tracking at the exact same rate as new cases, but 15 days later.  We know that people take 5-14 days to get sick and during that time they are contagious.  The only people getting tested are those sick enough that they go get tested.  It takes about 5 days from symptoms to when people are that sick.  So think about it.....someone who is reported as positive today got sick last Monday 3/23 but could have been contagious since 3/8.  On 3/8 we were all living business as usual.  Most places did not ask people to stay home until the past week.  People who got infected last weekend probably won’t show up in the numbers as sick for two more weeks.  Right now the people testing positive is doubling every 3 days.  So the numbers will double at least 7 times in the next two weeks.  That’s like 12.5 million who will be sick enough to go to the hospital/get tested by Easter even though it’s been about a week of social distancing.  There are 2,000 dead now.  That’s a 250,000 dead in a month ie May 1st.  A bunch of people who will be dead then probably don’t even know they are sick now but they are contagious. If this is right I think we need to buckle up.  We are in for a long ride.  

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

My daughter had a nasty virus with pneumonia in November while living for a few months in Madrid.  Flu strains tested negative.  Wonder if she had it....

I just heard this morning on NPR that they isolated patient zero in early December, around the 6th.