• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEILwxbo
    Newest Member
    NEILwxbo

Coronavirus

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

Perhaps that indicates that the tropical climate helps significantly.  That would be good news.  Although there is New Orleans...but Mardi Gras was an exacerbater there.

One can hope

Unfortunately, it looks like it’s a testing issue in Florida...

Yet hospitals and doctors around the state say they still don't have nearly enough testing kits and can't get the ones they have analyzed fast enough, echoing complaints from state health officials across the country. Health officials have completed 27,000 tests so far in Florida, while New York is doing more than 18,000 tests a day. 

That lack of testing availability means the number of people infected in Florida is likely far higher than the 2,355 coronavirus cases counted by the Florida Department of Healthas of Thursday. And it has left hospital administrators scrambling for more testing kits, buying their own laboratory equipment to process tests in house and pleading with people to stay home to slow the virus' spread.

"We need many more specimen collection and testing sites that return results in 24 hours or even same day," said Kim Savage, a spokeswoman for the Sarasota Memorial Health Care System, which operates a hospital and a dozen urgent care and outpatient care centers in southwest Florida. "Collecting a sample on a Tuesday and then not getting test results back for a week is not effective."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5083283002

FL will end up 2nd in cases and probably 1 in deaths. That senior population, big cities , and the fact they’re several weeks behind the north means they peak in May. If I lived there, I would be prepping for an absolute nightmare 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

FL will end up 2nd in cases and probably 1 in deaths. That senior population, big cities , and the fact they’re several weeks behind the north means they peak in May. If I lived there, I would be prepping for an absolute nightmare 

the fact they’re several weeks behind the north means they peak in May.

Link?

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Massachusetts numbers are in.

The new move comes as the total number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic rose to 35, up from a total of 25 the day before. The state Department of Public Health reported 823 new confirmed cases, a 34 percent increase from the day before that brought the confirmed case tally to 3,240. The DPH also reported that a total of 29,371 people had been tested, up from the total of 23,621 that had been tested by Thursday.

So about 10% of those tested have been positives.  Have to look how that compares to other states.

We’re (in the hospital system) feeling like we’re on the edge of a tsunami.  I can’t share internal email from NYC bit it’s frightening.  NO is a mess also.  Time to hunker down, do whatever jobs need to get done, and be careful.  This is an awful thing but the challenge is bringing me some youth in a sense.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

We’re (in the hospital system) feeling like we’re on the edge of a tsunami.  I can’t share internal email from NYC bit it’s frightening.  NO is a mess also.  Time to hunker down, do whatever jobs need to get done, and be careful.  This is an awful thing but the challenge is bringing me some youth in a sense.

You think it's going to get worse?

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

You think it's going to get worse?

Here in MA-by a zillion orders of magnitude 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

She knows her stuff and is a numbers cruncher, I would trust more of her judgement on what some had projected the earlier models had as there is far more data available now to verify them.

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Totally agree some of those models are all over the map.

Now, now, now. As weather enthusiasts we know models are always correct!

• Haha 1

Thanks for your efforts. Our cdc director said it's like having an umbrella in a hurricane
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Here in MA-by a zillion orders of magnitude 

How? Most people locked up at home buddy.

But seriously,  thanks for being on the frontlines.  Without these people we'd be toast. Most people just never see it. 

• Weenie 3

We sent 1000s of ventilators to New York and they didn’t know they were there”

This MF'er is out of his mind.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Thank you!  Sort of sent chills down my spine, but thank you. I saw an ambulance in front of a house with medics going in on my run today. While it could have been anything, it still felt foreboding. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Thank you for everything you and your colleagues do, Jer.

• Like 2

Here is a shout out to all people and their families working on the front lines of this disaster.

The rest of us have a pretty simple job - stay home whenever possible and minimize our chances of getting caught up in this scourge.  That really isn't that big of an ask.

• Like 6

I’m wondering just how rampant this virus was spreading prior to lockdown?? The numbers I’m seeing today are just jaw dropping..

13 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

How? Most people locked up at home buddy.

But seriously,  thanks for being on the frontlines.  Without these people we'd be toast. Most people just never see it. 

The horse was out of the barn already....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Here is a shout out to all people and their families working on the front lines of this disaster.

The rest of us have a pretty simple job - stay home whenever possible and minimize our chances of getting caught up in this scourge.  That really isn't that big of an ask.

What should have been included in the bailout package was all earnings for Frontline medical workers would not be taxed during this outbreak. If you're throwing around money give at least a little to the people who deserve it.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Most of us have the smallest of sacrifices and even then, we’re agitated by having to stay put. Respect the process and be empathetic to those who are at the front lines. Lets go America!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NSwx said:

I’m wondering just how rampant this virus was spreading prior to lockdown?? The numbers I’m seeing today are just jaw dropping..

It has been around for months, and I'm condfident there were thousands of cases even back in early Feb. 

So far so good at some hospitals in Boston. Just had a beer with a friend who is an ICU nurse at a major ( and yes social distancing) . finished her shift yesterday and isn't scheduled to work again until Tuesday. I asked if they wanted her to work over the weekend and she said no it's actually kind of slow because of the cancellation of elective surgeries. They got something right.

• Weenie 1

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Most of us have the smallest of sacrifices and even then, we’re agitated by having to stay put. Respect the process and be empathetic to those who are at the front lines. Lets go America!

The wife and I were talking about that.... I mean holy crap, what an easy sacrifice during a time of need to just stay home and watch Netflix.  I mean two months ago people would've dreamed about being told to just stay home, we'll pay you or the gov't will mail you some checks if you can just sit and watch some movies for a couple weeks.  Thanks. 

This is no war-time sacrifice.  It's not like folks are sitting in their homes without electricity and internet. 

And still some folks are losing their goddamn minds about restrictions.

I will say, American's love their freedom.  It's interesting to see the different reactions people have to the gov't telling them to do something, even if its as easy as sitting on the couch.

• Like 2