moneypitmike

Coronavirus

32 minutes ago, Hoth said:

919 deaths in Italy today. Wow.

One thing I keep watching is their serious/critical cases. It's a bit over 3700 now, it keeps increasing about 100-150 each day. Obviously exact level of testing is unknown at this point but watching that number can give some hint on potential fatalities. I think until that starts coming down they will be at high risk.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if many deaths in NYC are because alot of people have an underlying  illness from 9/11. 

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Little over 6000

The only silver lining is that this is the lowest percentage rise in Italian cases to date.

India quarantined 40K due to one superspreader:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52061915

Indian authorities in the northern state of Punjab have quarantined around 40,000 residents from 20 villages following a Covid-19 outbreak linked to just one man.

The 70-year-old died of coronavirus - a fact found out only after his death.

The man, a preacher, had ignored advice to self quarantine after returning from a trip to Italy and Germany, officials told BBC Punjabi's Arvind Chhabra.

India has 640 confirmed cases of the virus, of which 30 are in Punjab.

However, experts worry that the real number of positive cases could be far higher. India has one of the lowest testing rates in the world, although efforts are under way to ramp up capacity.

There are fears that an outbreak in the country of 1.3 billion people could result in a catastrophe.

The man, identified as Baldev Singh, had visited a large gathering to celebrate the Sikh festival of Hola Mohalla shortly before he died.

The six-day festival attracts around 10,000 people every day.

35 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s reality man. It’s terrible . 

We have an abundance of hospital beds on standby for non Corona patients.  We have large areas of the country virtually untouched who have resources and Doctors available. We are not Italy and we certainly do not have the mortality rates they have. Yes it is terrible but maybe for once you could tone down the hype, please 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Looks like Rockefeller Univ is conducting research into human genetic vulnerability to the virus. That may explain why some healthy, young individuals show a severe response to it and others are mild or asymptomatic.

https://www.genomeweb.com/infectious-disease/rockefeller-led-team-launches-initiative-study-covid-19-genetic-vulnerability#.Xn45e3J7lPY

As I posted before, there were a few genes founds with SARS-1 that either made you more or less susceptible to the virus...

The OAS1 gene codes for a protein that is induced by interferon. The OAS1 protein activates an enzyme that degrades viral RNA and inhibits the replication of the virus.

The MBL2 gene codes for mannose-binding lectin 2, which is part of the immune system that recognizes carbohydrate signatures from foreign pathogens.

The CCL2 gene codes for an inflammatory cytokine involved in the recruitment of monocytes and other immune system cells needed at the site of an inflammatory response.

As for the actual ACE2 receptors they bind to...there was no correlation with those...

Genetic variants associated with susceptibility to  SARS coronavirus:

Clearing up some speculative mis-information from other genetics websites:
The ACE2 gene codes for the cell receptor that the coronavirus uses to gain access to the cell.  This is true for both SARS coronavirus and COVID19.  Studies on people who were exposed to SARS and didn’t get the virus as well as studies on people who did get the virus showed that genetic variants in the ACE2 gene did NOT impact SARS susceptibility.[ref][ref]  Additionally, the common ACE gene variants have also been shown not to impact susceptibility to SARS coronavirus.

We source: https://www.geneticlifehacks.com/viral-immunity-coronavirus-flu-and-more/

It'd be interesting to know which ethnicitis have higher tendencies for the variants of these genes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We have an abundance of hospital beds on standby for non Corona patients.  We have large areas of the country virtually untouched who have resources and Doctors available. We are not Italy and we certainly do not have the mortality rates they have. Yes it is terrible but maybe for once you could tone down the hype, please 

Thanks.  We have plenty of beds left in most areas of the Country, with more beds and ventilators being provided everyday. 

New daily cases not rising in Italy though, so that's a good sign.  The curve is flattened, so they'll maintain that for a few weeks until it starts dropping. 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Well we don’t have enough of anything . And the situation all over this country is far worse than projected in its infant stages now. I am realistic , no hype . Jerry May be correct and it’s terrible .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I went to the market yesterday for the first time in a week. No TP and some other odd things (Cheez Itz? Wtf?). Not crowded.  They had checkouts Line spaces 6 feet apart but I was the only one in the line

We have 4 days left of TP.   Weird stuff

Dollar General in Westminster on 2A near Wawa Brewery has tons of TP left as of 2 days ago. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I'm wondering if many deaths in NYC are because alot of people have an underlying  illness from 9/11. 

Not a bad point....lung ailments were very prevalent among both people present during collapse and workers at ground zero.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Well we don’t have enough of anything . And the situation all over this country is far worse than projected in its infant stages now. I am realistic , no hype . Jerry May be correct and it’s terrible .

I will check back in 10 days to see if NYC has 1k deaths a day like you say

3 hours ago, Drop the Trough said:

philly runs all those $1 megabus trips to NYC. Heard they stopped them yesterday.....yesterday. Philly philly. dilly dilly.

:facepalm:

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like Rockefeller Univ is conducting research into human genetic vulnerability to the virus. That may explain why some healthy, young individuals show a severe response to it and others are mild or asymptomatic.

https://www.genomeweb.com/infectious-disease/rockefeller-led-team-launches-initiative-study-covid-19-genetic-vulnerability#.Xn45e3J7lPY

As I posted before, there were a few genes founds with SARS-1 that either made you more or less susceptible to the virus...

The OAS1 gene codes for a protein that is induced by interferon. The OAS1 protein activates an enzyme that degrades viral RNA and inhibits the replication of the virus.

The MBL2 gene codes for mannose-binding lectin 2, which is part of the immune system that recognizes carbohydrate signatures from foreign pathogens.

The CCL2 gene codes for an inflammatory cytokine involved in the recruitment of monocytes and other immune system cells needed at the site of an inflammatory response.

As for the actual ACE2 receptors they bind to...there was no correlation with those...

Genetic variants associated with susceptibility to  SARS coronavirus:

Clearing up some speculative mis-information from other genetics websites:
The ACE2 gene codes for the cell receptor that the coronavirus uses to gain access to the cell.  This is true for both SARS coronavirus and COVID19.  Studies on people who were exposed to SARS and didn’t get the virus as well as studies on people who did get the virus showed that genetic variants in the ACE2 gene did NOT impact SARS susceptibility.[ref][ref]  Additionally, the common ACE gene variants have also been shown not to impact susceptibility to SARS coronavirus.

We source: https://www.geneticlifehacks.com/viral-immunity-coronavirus-flu-and-more/

It'd be interesting to know which ethnicitis have higher tendencies for the variants of these genes.

I did the ancestor.com testing last year. Someone posted last week that you could use that info to check the genes you mention. Is this true?

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

I did the ancestor.com testing last year. Someone posted last week that you could use that info to check the genes you mention. Is this true?

Yeah you should be able to. Click on the lifehacks link there and go to each relevant gene section. If I log into 23andme and click the relevant 23andme link it directly brings me to the raw data for that gene. There's a link there for Ancestry Health too, but I'm not sure how that site works.

Another option would be to upload your raw data into promethease.com

https://promethease.com/

Then you can look at your sequenced genes in more detail. My wife did that and she only used regular ancestry.com.

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I will check back in 10 days to see if NYC has 1k deaths a day like you say

I saw a projection of 2300 per day in the US at an April peak yesterday. I think 1K+ nation-wide per day seems realistic just given the trends. 

Meanwhile in headlines you never thought you’d live long enough to see, an MBTA train was taken offline this morning because a woman licked it 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Watching the Mets vs Cubs opening day in 1994. At least they keep showing old games to keep us busy.

20200327_124253.jpg

And Bonilla is still getting paid by the Mets........:lol:

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Meanwhile in headlines you never thought you’d live long enough to see, an MBTA train was taken offline this morning because a woman licked it 

If she was caught she can be charged with and act of terrorism. 

South Asia concerns me. Unless temperature and humidity have a drastic effect on CV-19, I have serious concerns even though current numbers are low. That area very densely populated with 2 billion people and unfortunately have poor hospitals.

Close to 2k new cases in Nj as more testing is being done. It didn’t make sense that nj was so low when compared to nyc. To many commuters from nj to nyc daily for that big of a difference 

39 minutes ago, dryslot said:

And Bonilla is still getting paid by the Mets........:lol:

15 more years :axe:

37 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I don't know why some keep insisting using Italys numbers and associating them with here.

• Weenie 1

31 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I saw a projection of 2300 per day in the US at an April peak yesterday. I think 1K+ nation-wide per day seems realistic just given the trends. 

He said NYC