• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]

Coronavirus

For dendrite-updating on 31 year old friend of a friend.who was on a ventilator with IV hydroxychloroquine.  Transferred to MGH due to seizures and uncontrollable BP.  No underlying health issues-fit non smoking 31 year old.  So far fighting for her life and still with us.

• Sad 5

52 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

There's one thing I can think of that they'd be good for.....

On another note....how did she get into Rutgers? Not the hardest school to get into, but I'm surprised she got accepted anywhere. 

She does make a point though that is somewhat popular. My Girl's grandfather said "they should just isolate and lock down all us old people, and let the younger people continue on until it passes". 

except for the old people that need care from young people. that's why you're seeing nursing home outbreaks.

3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Definitely a good thing if the virus is so mild that half of people get no symptoms. It also backs up the theory by some experts (which I pointed out on here several times because I believe it) that this virus likely has a death rate no worse than regular flu. If that many people are walking around with no symptoms, the death rate stats are way inflated due to all the mild cases cases that don't go into the stats. But as you said it's bad in a way because it makes it more likely that people can spead it to the more vulnerable groups. We know this virus is extra bad for elderly and people with underlying health conditions, so shutting things down and engaging in social distancing is the right thing to do to help protect the more vulnerable people and reduce the hit on hospitals. Even if the virus is mild for most and has an overall death rate not much worse than flu.

I'm not sure even the Icelandic data supports this. It supports a lower CFR than is currently shown in the data, but not one that similar to the flu. 

6 minutes ago, Angus said:

I think he was referring to the gas but how else are you going to dispense controlled substances? CVS' don't have drive thru windows. My local pharmacy has an aisle with tape down on floor in 6' intervals. Plus, they have tables in front of pharmacy area with the credit card machines on the tables so there is definitely 4-5' of distance between customer and pharm tech - who is wearing mask and using hand sanitizer between every transaction.

Many pharmacies have drive throughs here

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yet in the Boston area you can stroll into CVS and await your rx.

Gas station Jerry.  

I had to go into Walgreens to see a pharmacist to dispatch meds.  No drive through operation.  There was literally no one else inside.

First Maine death today. Side note, my two nephews and niece are nurses. One nephew works at New Haven hospital and said, surprisingly it's not that bad there. Media hyping it a bit. The young people in the hospital are those not adhering to the physical distancing, enhancing the % of that age group (20s) in the hospital.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

BREAKING: All travelers arriving in Mass. by plane, train, or car must self-quarantine for 14 days, Baker says. #7News

i get it, but how do you even manage that?

Just now, Drop the Trough said:

i get it, but how do you even manage that?

Were doing that here but it's a really a suggestion as far as I know. They aren't tracking people and making sure they're abiding. 

Stand corrected! Just as a side note, I hate drive thru windows of any kind. Kind of for the same reason that I get annoyed when I go to the local health club and people are driving around parking lot because they want to get a spot close to the door. Of course, a drive thru keeps sick people from coming inside which is a good thing.

Saying death rate is same as flu is an admitted opinion but unsupported by numbers.  Even in Germany it’s higher!  Again, many of you know of someone critically ill with COVID-19.  How many have known people who didn’t recover or were hospitalized for flu?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

First Maine death today. Side note, my two nephews and niece are nurses. One nephew works at New Haven hospital and said, surprisingly it's not that bad there. Media hyping it a bit. The young people in the hospital are those not adhering to the physical distancing, enhancing the % of that age group (20s) in the hospital.

Hearing the same thing from my nieces who are also nurses. At least the part about social distancing

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Saying death rate is same as flu is an admitted opinion but unsupported by numbers.  Even in Germany it’s higher!  Again, many of you know of someone critically ill with COVID-19.  How many have known people who didn’t recover or were hospitalized for flu?

Exactly. I now personally know of 2 people who are currently hospitalized because of this virus. I can go years without knowing a single person hospitalized by the flu. While my evidence it anecdotal, so too is the evidence that supports the claim that this is no worse than the flu. Stop peddling that BS!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Definitely a good thing if the virus is so mild that half of people get no symptoms. It also backs up the theory by some experts (which I pointed out on here several times because I believe it) that this virus likely has a death rate no worse than regular flu. If that many people are walking around with no symptoms, the death rate stats are way inflated due to all the mild cases cases that don't go into the stats. But as you said it's bad in a way because it makes it more likely that people can spead it to the more vulnerable groups. We know this virus is extra bad for elderly and people with underlying health conditions, so shutting things down and engaging in social distancing is the right thing to do to help protect the more vulnerable people and reduce the hit on hospitals. Even if the virus is mild for most and has an overall death rate not much worse than flu.

But therein is risk of false-equivalency because it simply may be a matter that they haven't yet succumb - 

This contagion's greatest weapon appears to be it's coy relationship with the host. It's anxious to get in there; but it's like a super prude prom-date once inside. 

Sad but necessary message this morning from the director of the Bureau of Parks and Lands:

I want to let you all know about an important decision today regarding Maine’s State Park system.  In consultation with the Governor’s Office, we have decided to close a number of coastal State Parks until further notice, effective tomorrow.  The closure affects the following:  Popham Beach, Fort Popham, Fort Baldwin, Reid, Kettle Cove, Two Lights, Crescent Beach, Scarborough Beach, Mackworth Island, and Ferry Beach.  These State Parks have seen an enormous surge in visitation over the past week, and we believe closure is ultimately in the best interest of public safety and our staff.  As you know, I am a big fan of these Parks, and I know the value of getting outside in these stressful times, so this is a very difficult decision. 

There were so many people going to some parks that local police were having difficulties in traffic control.  Lots of out-of-state plates as well.

Good story on MSNBC about fashion designers across the country getting together and shifting their production to make first responder masks, gloves, etc, instead. All for non profit too. 

A recent small start-up here in Farmington (Origins USA) has switched from their usual line, specialty athletic clothes and related gear, to making masks - 3,200+ daily.  Folks working overtime, friends donating food for lunch time, some HS kids chipping in and gaining work experience while schools are closed.  Saw an inspiring video about this on FB this morning.  I'm confident that similar things are happening in a lot of other places.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Exactly. I now personally know of 2 people who are currently hospitalized because of this virus. I can go years without knowing a single person hospitalized by the flu. While my evidence it anecdotal, so too is the evidence that supports the claim that this is no worse than the flu. Stop peddling that BS!

I'm not saying it's no worse than flu. I'm just saying the death rate might not be much worse than flu, because there are so many mild/asymptomatic cases. In one way, this virus is much worse than flu because it hits people with underlying health conditions much harder than flu. But in another way it's better than flu because it tends to be very mild for so many young healthy people. When do you ever hear of flu causing extremely mild symptoms? Flu almost always hits people hard, even young healthy people. But Coronavirus actually causes very mild or even no symptoms in many healthy people. So it's a very strange virus, how it can be much worse than flu and much better than flu depending on who it hits.

20 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Good News in NY is that the doubling rate of hospitalization is slowing down last 3 days.

But crowds are still outside.  Not helping at all.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Interesting. I heard they sent out a plea today for people to make and send in masks for them. Mixed messages there.

45 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

BREAKING: All travelers arriving in Mass. by plane, train, or automobiles must self-quarantine for 14 days, Baker says. #7News

Those aren't pillows!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

38 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

hmmm interesting 

22 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Looks like Lombardy might have had a rough 24hr.. I'm hearing 542 deaths.. anyone else seeing new numbers? I believe this would be close to the highest so far.

What are the numbers of patients who have been in ICU or admitted into ICU on a daily basis? It feels like there have been 500+ deaths for over a week now. 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

hmmm interesting 

What are the numbers of patients who have been in ICU or admitted into ICU on a daily basis? It feels like there have been 500+ deaths for over a week now. 

Yeah poor Lombardy had been hit unbelievably hard, almost like a nightmare scenario.