Total Members
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour

Coronavirus

Just now, Bostonseminole said:

Pulled this from BMO.. just amazing to see this, not just a simulation

January 19: 100 cases  January 24: 1,000 cases - January 31: 10,000 cases - February 12: 50,000 cases - March 6: 100,000 cases - March 18: 200,000 cases - March 21: 300,000 cases - March 24: 400,000 cases - March 26: 500,000 cases

Probably hit 1M by April 3rd..

Just now, UMB WX said:

The New York Post is Fox News in print.

You know a well as I, both parties are to blame for shortages. But the source of the shortage was 2009 and the stockpile was never replenished, despite ample caution to do so.  Some of these posts hailing this crook Cuomo as a savior are pretty silly.  Outside of NYC, put him in lineup and no one would recognize him

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Drop the Trough said:

it's not just the response, there are other factors including the heath of the population and the lifestyle. they have 80 and 90 year olds successfully beating it. we have 50 year olds in poorer shape all over NYC. Germany is another example, why are their numbers so good? i didn't see mayors all over the usa shutting down cities and towns two and three weeks ago. in fact, i was last in phl eating at Stina pizza (google it, great stuff) on friday the 13th. the city was packed with people, cities and towns across usa were packed with people.  you can't compare a ****ry with 50 independent states with a couple of additional territories to south korea.

True, but we could've started emergency production of PPE and ventilators in January.  And we could've started testing in large numbers immediately.  None of that has to do with culture or personal health.  Thats what the federal govt based on what the national security people where assessing in Dec/Jan, and using the Playbook could've done.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Germany, SK, Singapore, Japan. Look it up.

you're saying they were prepared because the numbers aren't abysmal. that's false, it's a little bit response, a little  bit lifestyle a little bit luck, a little bit compliance.

• Weenie 1

Just now, mahk_webstah said:

True, but we could've started emergency production of PPE and ventilators in January.  And we could've started testing in large numbers immediately.  None of that has to do with culture or personal health.  Thats what the federal govt based on what the national security people where assessing in Dec/Jan, and using the Playbook could've done.

you want all your liberties until you need help. what other country started emergency PPE and ventilators in January?

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

You know a well as I, both parties are to blame for shortages. But the source of the shortage was 2009 and the stockpile was never replenished, despite ample caution to do so.  Some of these posts hailing this crook Cuomo as a savior are pretty silly.  Outside of NYC, put him in lineup and no one would recognize him

You're a lemming.  https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/25/donald-trump/donald-trump-misses-key-facts-claim-new-york-gover/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drop the Trough said:

it's not just the response, there are other factors including the heath of the population and the lifestyle. they have 80 and 90 year olds successfully beating it. we have 50 year olds in poorer shape all over NYC. Germany is another example, why are their numbers so good? i didn't see mayors all over the usa shutting down cities and towns two and three weeks ago. in fact, i was last in phl eating at Stina pizza (google it, great stuff) on friday the 13th. the city was packed with people, cities and towns across usa were packed with people.  you can't compare a ****ry with 50 independent states with a couple of additional territories to south korea.

Does Germany have a lower percentage of 80 and 90 year olds due to losses in that generation in WWII?

Just now, Drop the Trough said:

you want all your liberties until you need help. what other country started emergency PPE and ventilators in January?

I'm not opposed to everything you said, I get that.  But, Trump knew a pandemic was likely by January.  What did he do?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

I think that’s part of it.  No one knows when an unknown will step up and be a leader in a time of crisis.  Though I know you hate all politicians and I agree take everything they do with a skeptical eye.  But he can lead a presser that’s for damn sure.

• Like 1

Here are the latest numbers out of New York state, according to Cuomo’s presentation today.

• At 37,258 people have tested positive for Covid-19
  • 5,327 people are currently hospitalized
  • 1,290 patients are in intensive care
  • 1,517 patients have been discharged after being hospitalized
  • 385 patients have died from Covid-19

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/mar/26/coronavirus-us-live-house-vote-2tn-stimulus-package-bill-senate-news-updates-trump

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I think that’s part of it.  No one knows when an unknown will step up and be a leader in a time of crisis.  Though I know you hate all politicians and I agree take everything they do with a skeptical eye.  But he can lead a presser that’s for damn sure.

I don't hate anyone. I just don't like being lied to and both parties do it. It's just on this regional forum, you basically hear one side.

Anyway, good news- air quality should be relatively good this Spring. ;)

no2_conus_mar10to22_2020.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

SK had many "advantages" to fighting this that we do not. As dendrite stated, they put a lot of these measures in place after the 2015 MERS outbreak there.

They signed into law that they can track people through cell phones, car GPS data, personal credit card data, etc....these are civil liberties violations in the United States. But in SK, it helped them immensely with contact tracing in the early stages.They also authorized the fast track use of previously unapproved testing kits to expand their testing capability after MERS.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mahk_webstah said:

Are you actually serious?!  The federal response has been horrible and it is killing people and putting the economy on the edge.  He knew a pandemic was coming back in January and he gaslighted, lied and minimized for 6 weeks...and thus we haven't been stockpiling and preparing.   Yeah, I'd say it "hasn't been ideal"  LOL.

If you read what I said, i agree with you.  I said that the federal has not been ideal and I that I wasn't arguing that it was but rather the current process.

19 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Does anyone here know how many ventilators are in the SNS?  (Or how many prior to any recent dispersals?)  If it's 500,000 then many should be flowing to states with greatest need.  If 50,000, that probably doesn't meet the combined ask of CA/NJ/NY. 
And we can search for whom to blame for lack of restocking, but right now I don't care - come this fall I'll care but at this time the pertinent question is, what's being done today/tomorrow/etc?

• Thanks 1

We have friends in Telluride that are conducting an 8,000 person study on existing immunity to Covid using a rapid antibody test starting soon. Apparently Telluride and surrounding communities have been on lock down 3 wks and were the first in CO to do so. However, two people are positive and they are paying to cover the costs of antibody testing on 8000 people, starting with 1st responders then elderly, then younger people. The study will look at antibody levels now and at two weeks later to try and better understand spread, existing immunity and how best to ease some of the restrictions where possible. Pretty interesting I thought.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

New York should be getting more, no doubt.  I am not sure what the answer is as far as how much though.  This is not like a hurricane where it comes in and then leaves.  It is an ongoing situation that will only get worse and keep spreading around the country.

6 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Italy 6153 new 662 deaths

Just doesn’t seem to slow down.. would like to see new cases drop a lot from what we are seeing now.

3 minutes ago, NSwx said:

Just doesn’t seem to slow down.. would like to see new cases drop a lot from what we are seeing now.

allot folks trying to figure it out, lock down already post 14 days.. maybe family members giving it to each other?

57 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Cuomo's refreshingly competent and on task compared to "Stable Genius" and unlike him is no crook. He's deservedly becoming more widely known outside New York, and we'd be served well if some day he becomes president.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

What is up with the death rate in Georgia?

48 out of 1500 confirmed.  

Mass is 15 out of 1800 confirmed. 

Fat, unhealthy, old, and pre-existing conditions.  Plus minimal testing. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Germany, SK, Singapore, Japan. Look it up.

Germany? Lol all the countries together could fit in Texas. How is Texas doing? Where do we rank in cases per million,  deaths per million. Singapore is a strict totalitarian Govt. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Germany? Lol all the countries together could fit in Texas. How is Texas doing? Where do we rank in cases per million,  deaths per million. Singapore is a strict totalitarian Govt. 

It seems universally agreed upon there wasn't enough testing initially to do proper case tracking. I'm not sure why it's so hard for some people to admit the US response was not the best especially given intelligence reports from late jan. 

Were still pretty far behind in testing per capita but we've been doing some good catching up the last 2 weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3