• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]

Coronavirus

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

lol. If that isn't an attempted money grab disguised as something other than a money grab I don't know what else to call it.  Home away from the virus.  WTF?   I get it that companies need to try and find ways to stay in business, but advertising luxury rentals during this particular time is completely tone deaf and a great way to put people in (more) danger. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Does a soldier follow each person to their homes to enforce it? 

My guess is they will do drive-by's at all of the addresses...Maybe they are supplying the food as well (?)

Just now, Cold Miser said:

My guess is they will do drive-by's at all of the addresses...Maybe they are supplying the food as well (?)

Army drive-by’s...sounds gangsta. “We saw you outside in your garden planting tomatoes...die mofo, die.” 

If the police can’t enforce the stay at home policy as some suggested, I guess the army can? Or is that ‘unconstitutional’ as well...

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Does a soldier follow each person to their homes to enforce it? 

Were doing the same in NL. Everyone coming in whether by ferry or plane is told to self isolated. It's all honor system stuff though really. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You could have just gotten the flu shot? 

Only around 50% effective for this year's strains. 

12 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Army drive-by’s...sounds gangsta. “We saw you outside in your garden planting tomatoes...die mofo, die.” 

If the police can’t enforce the stay at home policy as some suggested, I guess the army can? Or is that ‘unconstitutional’ as well...

Nobody has the authority to enforce that without martial law being declared. It would be difficult too because the authorities have to guess if people are making grocery store runs or not...or if commuters are “essential” workers. So you start pulling over a bunch of essential workers asking them to prove they are essential. It probably ends up doing more harm than good. 

Its kind of like the “driving ban” during a blizzard. They can’t actually enforce it for real on a practical level but the yhope by declaring it that 95-99% of the population will listen. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

That's vomit worthy.  However, the "invasion" is already occurring.  Several state parks (Popham, Camden Hills, maybe others) were packed this past weekend, with a high proportion of folks coming from out of state.  "Social distancing" means "we're distant from our homes"?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Posse  Comitatus bitch!   B)

38 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You could have just gotten the flu shot? 

well my GF got the shot, and she still got sick. Granted not as bad as me.  I'll probably get it next year.  I just don't want the shot to make me sick! 

• Weenie 3

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Nobody has the authority to enforce that without martial law being declared. It would be difficult too because the authorities have to guess if people are making grocery store runs or not...or if commuters are “essential” workers. So you start pulling over a bunch of essential workers asking them to prove they are essential. It probably ends up doing more harm than good. 

Its kind of like the “driving ban” during a blizzard. They can’t actually enforce it for real on a practical level but the yhope by declaring it that 95-99% of the population will listen. 

Any person in law enforcement wants no part of that type of enforcing. 

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That's vomit worthy.  However, the "invasion" is already occurring.  Several state parks (Popham, Camden Hills, maybe others) were packed this past weekend, with a high proportion of folks coming from out of state.  "Social distancing" means "we're distant from our homes"?

I was even noticing that around here.  Lots of parks and trail heads had more cars parked there with out of state plates than I usually see.  I don't expect people to be cooped up in the houses but they are going out and about more than they would have.

31 minutes ago, South Shore Slop said:

The first 6 or 7 paragraphs echo what we we've been discussing in here at length the last 100 pages ... not being snarky toward you, per se... but it's like watching Grady Little orchestrate the 2004 Boston Red Sox right out of the ALCS contention, by leaving Pedro Martinez on the mound in the top of the 7th.  Even tho Boston was up 5-2 at that moment, in that game, you knew.   Or, like in 1986, the Boston Red Sox were still leading the ALCS by a game, when Bill Buckner's error through the knees seemed to somehow instruct that they would not only lose that game, but that it would lead inexorably to the 2020 SAR CoV-2 Novel pandemic...

You just knew.

Well, we just knew all along and spoke at length, how this would take a sociological "soft revolt" and sure enough, there it is...this morning headlines are tinting toward 'getting back to normal' and 'herd immunity is the pathway to salvation' and 'the cure cannot be worse than the cause' etc etc.. No one acknowledged our posts and insights warning that would happen... here we are.  You just knew.

All of it was surmised and predicted by me and countless others, but... we know this shit intellectually ... society seems to have to still move along with a process of discovery that is slower than the individual insight.  That is definitely the herd causing that - yup. 

I said myself, ...we're all getting this.  As in, infected.  Whether we get strain S or strain L, or some yet-to-be-determined mutation and future ancestor, this is now most likely a permanent part of the regular epidemiology of our species.  And like the flu ...  science et al will have nailed down a vaccine, ensuing that vaccine, like the flu, will have to then have genomic updates yearly to atone/keep in step with mutation.  This becomes another logistical management ... eventually leading to acceptance...and acceptance will then allay fears and familiarization leads to normalcy.   

It's just not tenable to many of the poster in here (or the 'herd' out there) because this hell is too fresh; a salvation is plausible through 'acceptable losses,' but is unknowable right now. I understand that. No one wants this.  As aside, there's also a grim morbidity feed-back loop in social media, I've noticed, due to what really appears to be a recreational dystopia to run out and find the most putrid devastating anecdote they can and one up the horror of the previous reaper's post ... Exposing one's senses to hours of posted just neg-head shit over this thing, that sans the good stuff that is always happening, may not lend to hope.  Ha!

Heard this morning that Oregon may enforce their shelter-in-place by jailing violators for 30 days.  Seems odd to punish disrespect for social distancing by putting folks where S-D is pretty much impossible.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Heard this morning that Oregon may enforce their shelter-in-place by jailing violators for 30 days.  Seems odd to punish disrespect for social distancing by putting folks where S-D is pretty much impossible.

Here's a link before people ask:
https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2020/03/oregon-governor-issues-stay-at-home-order-to-enforce-coronavirus-restrictions.html

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Cops were handing out 1k tickets here for a week after the jan blizzard if you were driving as a non essential. 

• Confused 1

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Cops were handing out 1k tickets here for a week after the jan blizzard if you were driving as a non essential. 

Really ? 

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The first 6 or 7 paragraphs echo what we we've been discussing in here at length the last 100 pages ... not being snarky toward you, per se... but it's like watching Grady Little orchestrate the 2004 Boston Red Sox right out of the ALCS contention, by leaving Pedro Martinez on the mound in the top of the 7th.  Even tho Boston was up 5-2 at that moment, in that game, you knew.   Or, like in 1986, the Boston Red Sox were still leading the ALCS by a game, when Bill Buckner's error through the knees seemed to somehow instruct that they would not only lose that game, but that it would lead inexorably to the 2020 SAR CoV-2 Novel pandemic...

You just knew.

Well, we just knew all along and spoke at length, how this would take a sociological "soft revolt" and sure enough, there it is...this morning headlines are tinting toward 'getting back to normal' and 'herd immunity is the pathway to salvation' and 'the cure cannot be worse than the cause' etc etc.. No one acknowledged our posts and insights warning that would happen... here we are.  You just knew.

All of it was surmised and predicted by me and countless others, but... we know this shit intellectually ... society seems to have to still move along with a process of discovery that is slower than the individual insight.  That is definitely the herd causing that - yup. 

I said myself, ...we're all getting this.  As in, infected.  Whether we get strain S or strain L, or some yet-to-be-determined mutation and future ancestor, this is now most likely a permanent part of the regular epidemiology of our species.  And like the flu ...  science et al will have nailed down a vaccine, ensuing that vaccine, like the flu, will have to then have genomic updates yearly to atone/keep in step with mutation.  This becomes another logistical management ... eventually leading to acceptance...and acceptance will then allay fears and familiarization leads to normalcy.   

It's just not tenable to many of the poster in here that a salvation is plausible through 'acceptable losses' right now. I understand that. No one wants this.  As aside, there's also a grim morbidity feed-back loop in social media, I've noticed, due to what really appears to be a recreational dystopia to run out and find the most putrid devastating anecdote they can and one up the horror of the previous reaper ... Exposing one to hours of posted just neg-head shit over this thing, that sans the good stuff that is always happening, may not lend to hope.  Ha!

What is an "acceptable" number of deaths?

3 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

I hope not because he is the only one with a level head.  

I agree he was good.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

So is Dr. Fauci out?

Not according to Trump and Fauci.  Fauci didn't say that in an interview the other day and Trump praised him yesterday and said that he would be back but he was attending another meeting so two sources closed to the subject didn't say as much.

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You just knew.

It's just not tenable to many of the poster in here (or the 'herd') out there because this hell is too fresh; that a salvation is plausible through 'acceptable losses,' but is unknowable right now. I understand that. No one wants this.  As aside, there's also a grim morbidity feed-back loop in social media, I've noticed, due to what really appears to be a recreational dystopia to run out and find the most putrid devastating anecdote they can and one up the horror of the previous reaper's post ... Exposing one's senses to hours of posted just neg-head shit over this thing, that sans the good stuff that is always happening, may not lend to hope.  Ha!

The getting back to normal and old people being sacrificed for the economy stuff is straight right wing talking points. The White House radically shifted once dr. fauci wasn't at the press conference and started listening to economics people not health people. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, borderwx said:

What is an "acceptable" number of deaths?

There is none - that's the point... 

It's untenable ( mentally) to conceive that we may not have any choice.  

But, herd immunity and so forth ( which is very adult to have to accept what we don't want to accept ) is going to happen whether people want to accept it or not ...cannot happen without DEATH.

tough shit.  That toughness sinks in given time, life moves on... 

See, part of this is still hearkening back to that post -Industrialism society as being convenience -addled, spanning multiple generations, to the point where there's this sort of underpinning miss-conception our species is above the background spectrum of natural threats.  We aren't...and all this global shut-down?   Do it...go for it...it'll certainly help - but, keep it in perspective that we are not in charge.  We only think we are. 

• Weenie 2

25 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

So is Dr. Fauci out?

Trump only fires people when they are out of town. See Mulvaney, Comey, etc. As long as Fauci and Trump are both in DC at the same time, Fauci is safe. The minute Fauci is in another zip code, look out!  

• Like 1

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

Trump only fires people when they are out of town. See Mulvaney, Comey, etc. As long as Fauci and Trump are both in DC at the same time, Fauci is safe. The minute Fauci is in another zip code, look out!  

haha true -