moneypitmike

Coronavirus

31 minutes ago, kdxken said:

But  what if a healthy economy does more for Public Health then a lockdown?

Trump did make a d point about folks getting depressed and an increase in mental health issues as folks lose jobs, get sick, family members get sick and/or they just get sick and tired of Corona.  I do agree that the longer this isolation goes the worst it will be for mental health.  This has to be considered, not easy decisions to make for sure.  The idea of loosening in restrictions in some areas is not bad, but has to be done with all tools in place ( testing centers, antibody testing, hospitals ready if things pick up, tracing of cases etc.)

On another note, saw that China went up today, this will be a yo yo till a vaccine exists.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

What about Rand Paul?  Knowingly risked many...waiting for test results but hey I’ll use the gym....guy is a major dildo.

These senators think they are above the law

• Like 1

Just now, Bostonseminole said:

Trump did make a d point about folks getting depressed and an increase in mental health issues as folks lose jobs, get sick, family members get sick and/or they just get sick and tired of Corona.  I do agree that the longer this isolation goes the worst it will be for mental health.  This has to be considered, not easy decisions to make for sure.  The idea of loosening in restrictions in some areas is not bad, but has to be done with all tools in place ( testing centers, antibody testing, hospitals ready if things pick up, tracing of cases etc.)

On another note, saw that China went up today, this will be a yo yo till a vaccine exists.

There numbers are an absolute joke and a total misrepresentation to what is happening in the world.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Hoth said:

Yup. We're up to 16,000 deaths on 300,000 reported cases worldwide. If we allowed COVID to spread to the degree of the above flu in the US (and it is every bit as contagious and then some), that would work out to roughly 1,900,000 deaths. If we use the ratio of deaths/recovered patients, that number gets even worse. If you consider that hospitals would be utterly unable to cope, even worse.

So there were over 60,000 deaths from the flu in the United States during the 2017-2018 season. So far in the United States (as of March 23rd) we have 610 Coronavirus deaths. Obviously we have a long way to go with Coronavirus and the death count will rise significantly, but so far the number of Coronavirus deaths is tiny compared to a bad flu season like 2017-2018. Hopefully all the measures being taken to reduce the spreading of the disease will result in a death count much lower than the 2017-2018 flu season. Right now I'd be very surprised if we get anywhere close to the amount of flu deaths we had in 2017-2018. 60,000 is an enormous number. A lot of people don't realize how much damage seasonal flu does. I don't think it's a reach to compare Coronavirus to the flu.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Wmsptwx said:

Good lord.... lol I think we may be in trouble with these types of attitudes so prevalent.

I might kick a kitten if I hear another flu comparison... lol

We have a flu vaccine (which is obviously far from perfect) and treatment for the flu, and it still results in tens of thousands of American deaths each year.  And all indications are that the flu is not as contagious as covid-19, so it is right to take this very seriously.  We can hope for the restrictions/social distancing and a proven, effective treatment to really put the brakes on this.  If we fail on the treatment front and go back to regular life too quickly, there is no doubt in my mind we would be on the way toward a colossal death toll as great as or greater than what happened in the late 1910s pandemic.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I might kick a kitten if I hear another flu comparison... lol

We have a flu vaccine (which is obviously far from perfect) and treatment for the flu, and it still results in tens of thousands of American deaths each year.  And all indications are that the flu is not as contagious as covid-19, so it is right to take this very seriously.  We can hope for the restrictions/social distancing and a proven, effective treatment to really put the brakes on this.  If we fail on the treatment front and go back to regular life too quickly, there is no doubt in my mind we would be on the way toward a colossal death toll as great as or greater than what happened in the late 1910s pandemic.  

The 1918 Flu outbreak was on another level. From WW1 taking center stage to not having the same resources as we have today...I can’t see this getting anywhere near it. Doesn’t mean we should drop our guards now though. Still have to ride this out for a bit longer. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/reconstruction-1918-virus.html

https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The 1918 Flu outbreak was on another level. From WW1 taking center stage to not having the same resources as we have today...I can’t see this getting anywhere near it. Doesn’t mean we should drop our guards now though. Still have to ride this out for a bit longer. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/reconstruction-1918-virus.html

Not much ever will reach that level, but this virus is going to take a huge toll and think Hoosiers analysis was not far off in general.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

So there were over 60,000 deaths from the flu in the United States during the 2017-2018 season. So far in the United States (as of March 23rd) we have 610 Coronavirus deaths. Obviously we have a long way to go with Coronavirus and the death count will rise significantly, but so far the number of Coronavirus deaths is tiny compared to a bad flu season like 2017-2018. Hopefully all the measures being taken to reduce the spreading of the disease will result in a death count much lower than the 2017-2018 flu season. Right now I'd be very surprised if we get anywhere close to the amount of flu deaths we had in 2017-2018. 60,000 is an enormous number. A lot of people don't realize how much damage seasonal flu does. I don't think it's a reach to compare Coronavirus to the flu.

With the extreme measures we're taking worldwide to isolate ourselves, closing restaurants, retailers, exchanges, telecommuting, shutting down factories and gatherings of more than a few people, canceling sports competitions, hopefully we will keep the death toll below the flu, for which we take virtually no societal action beyond voluntary vaccination. It would be a heroic accomplishment for mankind. If we didn't take these actions, we would be facing a health calamity none of us can really process. People don't really get exponential growth. When you have a very contagious pathogen, case numbers explode if no prevention is taken. It follows an S curve. Once you hit the inflection point, you can infect most of humanity in a month or two. India only has 400 cases officially, yet they put a billion people on lock down yesterday. Do you really think they would do that for "just the flu"? It's all about controlling the rate of spread, and therefore preventing hospitals from being overwhelmed. COVID puts roughly 5% of patients in the ICU, whereas flu puts less than 1% in the hospital. Without these actions, we would be seeing far more grave numbers out of places like China, Italy, Spain, the U.S., everywhere.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, MetHerb said:

By the quality of some of the posts over the past few pages it sounds like people are imbibing in large quantities of alcohol.  This thread went from a great source of info and commentary to something out of a toilet bowl.   :facepalm:

Or in other words:

OIF.jrTCU0KgZmswrc7Nx505LA?w=300&h=168&c

If people have the time, check out the documentary series “Pandemic” on Netflix.  Filmed and produced before Covid-19.     Very eye opening.    

Also, South Korea is kicking this things butt.   They detected their first case the same day as the US, and had only 64 new cases yesterday.    Widespread use of masks, social distancing, tracking the disease through thorough testing.  Being prepared. 

25 minutes ago, kdxken said:

NFW should there be a bailout of the cruise industry.

But there are myriad reasons not to bail out the cruise industry’s biggest players. Here are just a few:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/23/21187076/cruise-line-industry-bailout-trump-coronavirus-us-companies-tax

If they aren’t based in the US, there’s zero reason to help them. 

• Like 5

I'm against helping a lot of US based firms. The fact that airlines, hotels and plenty of others went on a debt orgy to buy back their shares and left little provision for an economic downturn is unacceptable. They cannot be allowed to get rich when times are good and bailed out at taxpayer expense when they're bad. Let them enter Ch 11 and restructure if they can.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Seriously. Anyone in Congress who doesn’t see it that way should be removed pronto.

My brother’s company, a small private business with about $10mill gross sales per year...the owner saves extra liquid every year specifically for hard times. If they have to shut down, he told his employees he could pay everyone for 30 days on his dime before employees would have to either use their PTO or file for unemployment. It’s not much but it’s something...and that something is better then some of these publicly traded companies who enrich their shareholders but then cry wolf for taxpayer assistance when shit hits the fan. 

Enough.

• Like 9

Trump and his cult on the hill will do just about anything to protect the ruling class. This crisis is proving that! If you die because they lift the restrictions too soon, that is a sacrifice they are willing to make. #NotDying4WallStreet

• Like 7

8 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

You are right about the flu....it brought me to my knees this year, it was awful.  And it spread through my office. People need to take it more seriously. 

2 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

You are right about the flu....it brought me to my knees this year, it was awful.  And it spread through my office. People need to take it more seriously. 

You could have just gotten the flu shot? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

And that is with decades of exposure to the flu along with (hopefully) vaccinations which either work or at least help your body fend off new strains. 

for COVID-19 we are blind

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bostonseminole said:

Here is what our 2024 president had to say

Cuomo has been more presidential the last couple of weeks than what Trump  has been in 3+ years in office. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cold Miser said:

I saw this in the Journal.  I wonder how they enforce the self quarantine?  Do they let them get some food on the way to their homes?  
https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20200323/23-new-coronavirus-cases-in-ri-travelers-returning-to-tf-green-told-to-self-quarantine

Does a soldier follow each person to their homes to enforce it? 

22 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Trump and his cult on the hill will do just about anything to protect the ruling class. This crisis is proving that! If you die because they lift the restrictions too soon, that is a sacrifice they are willing to make. #NotDying4WallStreet

Well said!! People need to remember come November.

• Like 2

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Does a soldier follow each person to their homes to enforce it?

First they take each person on a shopping trip to boost the economy.