• Member Statistics

    15,843
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]
    Joined
moneypitmike

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

I thought it might be useful to have a thread here about this since we're all friends of sorts (my wife refers to you all as my "weather friends") that will be impacted by this in some way, shape, or form.  I imagine there's already some impact in industry's we work in (for example Scooter and air traffic).  My wife's work at a university in Worcester--like across the country is already having indirect but major  impact on them. 

And yes--I am a prepper.   :)

  • Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I thought it might be useful to have a thread here about this since we're all friends of sorts (my wife refers to you all as my "weather friends") that will be impacted by this in some way, shape, or form.  I imagine there's already some impact in industry's we work in (for example Scooter and air traffic).  My wife's work at a university in Worcester--like across the country is already having indirect but major  impact on them. 

And yes--I am a prepper.   :)

My industry is directly impacted as I’m in sales distribution for medical . My life has been consumed with this pandemic the last 5 weeks. It’s insanity. PPE items such as N95 and surgical masks, hand sanitizer and gloves have all been on manufacturer allocation and in some cases out of stock in all 150 of our warehouses nationally. It’s making me a lot of $$ though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

My industry is directly as I’m in sales distribution for medical . My life has been consumed with this pandemic the last 5 weeks. It’s insanity. PPE items such as N95 and surgical masks, hand sanitizer and gloves have all been on manufacturer allocation and in some cases out of stock in all 150 of our warehouses nationally. It’s making me a lot of $$ though. 

My company is one that could also benefit--though obviously for unfortunate reasons.

I was able to get masks in my prepper-life.  Not a ton of sanitizer, but a shit-load of lysol wipes and toilet paper.

We were at the Copley mall yesterday.  A number of people were wearing masks......I thought that was extreme, but you always have a few doing that at any time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work in healthcare IT for one one of the larger hospitals in New England and we are opening/prepping formally closed units.  I'm not sure who will staff these units but they are being re-opened by request of the state.  

I'm sure there will be impacts from it as a matter of when not if.  They will also be determined as to how well we keep level minds.

An a related note, roads in the Seattle are have been relatively lightly travelled this week due to major employers having people work remotely.  I wonder if legislators will catch on and use tactics like that to mitigate traffic issues in the future instead of building expensive infrastructure?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been following this since mid-January and started gradually stocking up when the extent of Chinese countermeasures became apparent and more data came out about the virus' effects and apparent ease of spread. Nothing exorbitant, but just extra canned goods, beans, veggies, tuna, rice, pasta, cat food and the like each week during my regular grocery run. Figure I have enough to hunker down for a month or two at home if necessary without too much privation. If it winds up being nothing, then I've merely pulled my demand forward. I'm mainly concerned about my parents' and grandparents' generation. My employer has been pretty on top of it; we've been having business continuity discussions, and we will be sent home if (when) there are cases in the New Haven area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I've been following this since mid-January and started gradually stocking up when the extent of Chinese countermeasures became apparent and more data came out about the virus' effects and apparent ease of spread. Nothing exorbitant, but just extra canned goods, beans, veggies, tuna, rice, pasta, cat food and the like each week during my regular grocery run. Figure I have enough to hunker down for a month or two at home if necessary without too much privation. If it winds up being nothing, then I've merely pulled my demand forward. I'm mainly concerned about my parents' and grandparents' generation. My employer has been pretty on top of it; we've been having business continuity discussions, and we will be sent home if (when) there are cases in the New Haven area.

You and I were working on the same wave-length.  I've watched too many moves.  :)

If folks would like to get an understanding of the work that's being done in the health community, you might want to watch the Netflix documentary "Pandemic".  It's very good--really like the woman from NY.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I just counted.... for my wife and myself I currently have 50 rolls of TP. I’d be willing to sell some of these for $50 a roll or 5 for $240.

There’s your golf clubs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I just counted.... for my wife and myself I currently have 50 rolls of TP. I’d be willing to sell some of these for $50 a roll or 5 for $240.

You’ll need that for the dews this summer. Save it

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the odds of my April trip to Venice happening are looking about the same as the odds for an area wide snowstorm to cap off this winter.  Still if a missed vacation is the worst impact my family has from this, I won't complain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neighboring towns now have a third positive case, all of which is linked to a doctor who travelled to Italy.  He was under voluntary isolation, pending test results, but he broke isolation and went to a party anyway.  The positive test came the next day.  One other case was person who saw him there and other is also linked to those two.  The third person went to church services prior to showing symptoms and getting diagnosed.  That church cancelled services this week.  And so it grows.

https://www.wcax.com/content/news/West-Lebanon-Church-cancels-services-after-suspected-COVID-19-cases-568602351.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We run a series of direct-service programs and two schools in southwestern CT. We've been planning now for a few weeks. Thankfully our service population are youth 12-25, so not the main target of the virus. My dad, though, is in his sixties and his companies are international and he's always traveling overseas. That has me worried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Albert A Clipper said:

wow..oil down 20% to $32, lower than the 2008 crash. 

my guy oscar carboni called for $32 crude just last week...

Just saw that.  $1.50 gas soon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This virus has me on edge.  Don't know if any of you noticed but I have not been posting much since early January.  My husband came down with atypical pneumonia around Jan 10th.  He is 57.  Pneumonia became severe with other complications and he was in the hospital 34 days and in ICU for 9 days.  He is finally  home  but his lung function is very low with possible scaring.  He will need supplemental O2 for a few months. So if he were to get the cornavirus it could be fatal for him.   So far community spread has been low but it seems like this is the week that the numbers will really start rising.  Time to self quarantine as much as possible for us. 

  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

What do the markets see right now? 
Dow futures down 1000+

OPEC breakdown creates a price war between Saudi and Russia. Saudi actually increasing output in the face of huge demand destruction is cratering oil limit down. That will have significant ramifications for US shale, which is bad shape already, and by extension, high yield bonds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

This virus has me on edge.  Don't know if any of you noticed but I have not been posting much since early January.  My husband came down with atypical pneumonia around Jan 10th.  He is 57.  Pneumonia became severe with other complications and he was in the hospital 34 days and in ICU for 9 days.  He is finally  home  but his lung function is very low with possible scaring.  He will need supplemental O2 for a few months. So if he were to get the cornavirus it could be fatal for him.   So far community spread has been low but it seems like this is the week that the numbers will really start rising.  Time to self quarantine as much as possible for us. 

Sorry to hear it. I'm glad he's home and hopefully on the mend. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Albert A Clipper said:

wow..oil down 20% to $32, lower than the 2008 crash. 

my guy oscar carboni called for $32 crude just last week...

Saudi Arabia ramping supply into the teeth of massive demand destruction from the virus will do that. We'll see who's been swimming naked tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of us will be ok.  Weird how kids show like no symptoms.  Most diseases show an effect on everyone, albeit with varying severity.  Makes detection hard.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I both teach. I am assuming they will start to ask us to begin prepping to do distance learning stuff but no word yet.  
She also has several conditions that are worrisome even though she is in excellent shape, works out a ton, eats well etc. my elderly MIL I also worry about  

I have not done much as far as overstocking our pantry etc yet, but a little. I was at the grocery store today and things seemed pretty normal. They even had disinfectant wipes on the shelves.  I always have a decent amount of those anyway so I left them alone. 

This does have people on edge.  Prob the media’s fault but something like this was bound to happen at some point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This has been making the rounds. Can't confirm, so caveats apply, but apparently one of the cases in NYC. Healthy thirty year old with respiratory failure, 103 fever, not responding to 80% O2 saturation.
"My physician colleague has worsening coronavirus #COVID19 . Gilead reps said they don't have access to trial on wknds. Please help. Contact me. Healthy 30 yr old male with sudden, rapidly progressing resp failure. (posted with permission)."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next month will be very interesting as far as disruptions to people’s lives go due to the contingency plans being made by every school district and business to “CYA”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...