• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

Thought this was going to be a small shower but it has been at it for an hour now. The rain kind of elongated from a small shower into one that back built and is now training from west of the Plateau all the way across my area. If it doesn't die out or drift north or south I'll probably get 2 or 3 hours of heavy rain from this one. 

Huge storm rolled through, knocked down trees all over the county.  Power is out for thousands.  Destroyed my best tomato plant. It was nearly 10 feet tall with about 40 nice sized green tomatoes on it. Yesterday a deer got three of the tomatoes and today the storm broke out its branches and flattened it, pulled the stakes out of the ground and pulled the cage up.  Storm also dropped 1.5 more inches of rain. 

• Like 1

Over 3 inch rainfall total to start July and a 3.5 inch deluge on the final day, ended up with over 12 inches of rain for the month. It's been mostly cloudy to completely cloudy for about 2 straight weeks now. I was honestly shocked to see it was a top 10 warm July around East Tennessee. it simply wasn't here. We had a few hot days and lots of humidity but the clouds and rain kept the temperatures in check.  I think I got above 90 two or three times. Looks like TYS and Nooga dodged rain like nobody's business. I believe TYS was under 3 inches for the month. 

Granted in Campbell County alone the Coop station in Newcomb, which is in a deep valley in far NW CC somehow only recorded 2.88 inches of rainfall but areas 5-10 miles away show up in the 10-15 inch range on the AHPS site. I even remember flooding within 2 miles of there at the beginning of the month but looking at coop obs from the first of the month shows the site getting something like .09 inches of rain. I received 3.17 that same day about 10 or 12 miles from there. 

Not everyday one gets to drop this in the observation thread.   Definitely felt it IMBY.  5.1 earthquake in Sparta, North Carolina. https://www.wjhl.com/news/breaking/usgs-earthquake-reported-in-north-carolina/ 

Felt it as well. Felt very subtle. Could hear the bedroom doors rattling, some creeking of the house and I could make out / hear a low amplitude rumble. Honestly thought it might have been a low flying jet at first. But immediately considered it might be a nearby quake because I am a geoscience dork. Then I got the quake notification from the USGS. No doubt being in the Valley and located on sedimentary basement sequences carried those shallow waves through the region. In comparison, I recall feeling the motion of the 5.8 quake in the Piedmont of Eastern Virginia more than this latest 5+ tremor. Though the epicenter was further away, the strength of August 2011 quake must have carried through the region more. Actually witnessed a floor lamp swaying during that 2011 one.
  • Like 3

I drove through the rains in Knoxville yesterday morning on my way to Kingsport. That had to have been one of the rainiest, dreariest summer days I can remember. Flashbacks to the past two Februaries. Hydroplaning and 3 wrecks in downtown Knox. On the radar it almost looked like a deformation zone. Let's get another upper low on that track in January, lol. 

giphy.gif

Then in my way back from Kingsport I got the line I highlighted at the end of the gif. That one was fun too, lol. Shelf cloud and downpours. I think powell may have a pic of it in the late summer thread. 

As y'all have been saying, it really has been a tale of two MRX areas this summer. Up on the plateau in MoCo, it seems like we are mini Johns, with rain almost every day (but not as bad as he's had it). On the other hand, my dad in Kingsport was talking about how his lawn was getting brown. 

• Like 4

I'm not sure how many hours that gif covers, but I got rain moving SW to NE, NW to SE and NNE to SSW in it.  The steering currents are all over the place but they all pass over me. Looks like the heaviest rain of the weekend was in those eastern areas though. I saw some areas there also got 3-4 inches per MRX. 

• Like 2

7.74 through yesterday. Went to Newport for the game vs Cocke County, there was a pointless lightning delay for a storm way off in the west. The storm on radar was probably 25 miles away. It was never close enough for even faint thunder and it barely rained a few times there. Returned to .38 in the rain gauge here. Had a heavy shower about 45 minutes ago that dropped another .42 so far today.  

• Like 2