• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

That was a helluva storm.  Constant lightning.  I was sitting under my deck and a cell phone tower bout 200 yards away was struck.  I almost fell out of my chair!  Best electrical storm I've seen in a very long time and we're grateful for the downpour.  The garden needed it.  :guitar:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stovepipe said:

That was a helluva storm.  Constant lightning.  I was sitting under my deck and a cell phone tower bout 200 yards away was struck.  I almost fell out of my chair!  Best electrical storm I've seen in a very long time and we're grateful for the downpour.  The garden needed it.  :guitar:

I'm in Maryville right now,that was by far the best convective system i've seen in some time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John1122 said:

Picked up more heavy rain around 6 to 7 pm. Prompted flash flood warnings here. Ended up with 3.17 inches today. 

Northern Plateau(and evidently portions of Knoxville referencing Powell's report) is like living in the Costa Rican rain forest lately!!!!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Northern Plateau(and evidently portions of Knoxville referencing Powell's report) is like living in the Costa Rican rain forest lately!!!!  

We get about 10-15 more inches a year than the far Eastern areas like TYS to Tri but it's been ridiculous the last couple of years.  The drought in 2016 dried the soils extremely deep and we burned and smoldered for a month. Since that broke each year just one ups the prior. I had virtually no rain last September and still had the rainiest year we ever had. Unless it dries significantly we will beat that record this year.  Will likely cross 60 inches on the year this month, which is way ahead of TYS currently and their 40 inches is 15 AN for there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, John1122 said:

Today I finally got to 90 for the first time this year.  It's actually drying out some what here as far as rainfall. In the longest stretch of the year without recording at least .25 of rain. 

Just come on over to Kingsport, I can get you some real feel 90s with humidity...but BN rainfall.   LOL.  We don't want you to miss summer!!!  J/K of course.

Seriously, had some nice storms this morning.  The graduation at Dobyns-Bennett will go ahead as planned this evening as it looks like the weather has held.  For once, glad it is not raining.  Man, might even be able to see a comet over the proceedings.  Not many graduations have a comet overhead.  

3 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Just come on over to Kingsport, I can get you some real feel 90s with humidity...but BN rainfall.   LOL.  We don't want you to miss summer!!!  J/K of course.

Seriously, had some nice storms this morning.  The graduation at Dobyns-Bennett will go ahead as planned this evening as it looks like the weather has held.  For once, glad it is not raining.  Man, might even be able to see a comet over the proceedings.  Not many graduations have a comet overhead.  

That would be an awesome visual. Campbell County graduated in late June, there was a double rainbow due to a thunderstorm moving by just to the east of the school. 

Made it to 89 today. The humidity is impressive.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stovepipe said:

I've not had a downpour in 3 weeks or so and we're bone dry.  My area has been very unlucky.  That may change today but I'm not holding my breath.  The water bill is gonna be nasty.

I hear ya Stove! Until yesterday I had only picked up 0.09in the entire month of July. Yesterday we got 0.35in and today, so far only 0.08in. It has been very dry around my part of the county, but other areas have done well for sure.

I don't know exactly how the drought monitor works, but I'm on the edge of abnormally dry and I'm sitting at about 20 inches above normal for rainfall this year.  The creeks are at probably 125 percent of their normal flow for this time of year.  Even with a drier July than previous months, its stretching it pretty thin to start placing my area anything close to abnormally dry. 

8 hours ago, John1122 said:

I'm surprised you hadn't seen rain today, Stove. It's been raining here for a few hours. It's also stormed or been cloudy here every evening this week as I try to get comet photos. 

Right after I posted that I got a 15 minute mod to heavy downpour which was much appreciated.  At first I had the sprinkler on during the rain because I didn't believe it would last lol.  This specific area has suffered.  Seems like Vonore, Sweetwater, Greenback, and even Louisville 4 miles away gobble up my storms hehe.  They evaporate over my house.  :guitar:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John1122 said:

.35 inches today in a storm.  Another cloudy evening preventing any comet visuals. That's 9 cloudy evenings in a row. 

It's amazing how much rain you've gotten lately.  I've had a cell come over me for a good downpour about every other day for several days in a row, so I can't complain.  But you're getting WAY more than SW Knox.  Are you east or west of I75 if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stovepipe said:

It's amazing how much rain you've gotten lately.  I've had a cell come over me for a good downpour about every other day for several days in a row, so I can't complain.  But you're getting WAY more than SW Knox.  Are you east or west of I75 if you don't mind me asking?

I'm a few miles East of I-75.