• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

With La Nina conditions forecast to develop, will be interesting to see the range of observations from the beginning of this thread to the last.  An incredibly stormy night has come to an end.  The sun is out.  Please reference the severe thread regarding the powerful tornado that swept through middle TN overnight.  Our thoughts and prayers are with the people in that region.  

If you are a new poster and not comfortable in posting in the pattern discussion thread, this is a great place to start.  Give it a shot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Took a drive to Calf Killer Brewery today over the plateau. Plateau microclimates in full swing. 40 at my place and down to 35 near Crossville. Some graupnel/ flurries early on, but that was about it. Temp shot up to 45 by the time I was off the plateau just east of Sparta. 

IMG_0845

IMG_0841

Obviously there are other ways to support tornado relief, but Calf Killer is currently donating $1 from every pint they sell to it and they make good beer, so if you're into that sort of thing (like me) and you are nearby, give em a try.

Beautiful view on 70E just above Calf Killer (looking towards Cookeville)

IMG_0848

The western plateau reminded me a little of Mesa Verde today. 

Near the Obed on Genesis road, I was able to see where the EF0 hit. Pretty much a straight line through and across the Obed gorge as far as I could tell. 

IMG_0840

• Like 2

After days of rain, snow, severe...this weekend was a pleasant reprieve.  The sun was out and skies were blue on Saturday and Sunday.  We drove down to Chucky Doak on Saturday for individual ratings on music instruments.  Reminded my of Montana.  Greene County is a beautiful area of the country.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

A less smug tone is appreciated next time. Thank you.

Holston you are a better person than me, lol!

Yeah, sorry, it wasn't meant to come across like that. 

It's the military in me, pretty crass and direct. I'm about to go on Sunday overseas for a pretty extended stay doing weather support, so my attitude hasn't been the best lately. The virus outbreak shifted so much in less than 5 days that it's thrown me completely off track and caused a lot, and I mean A LOT of stress.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Calderon said:

Yeah, sorry, it wasn't meant to come across like that. 

It's the military in me, pretty crass and direct. I'm about to go on Sunday overseas for a pretty extended stay doing weather support, so my attitude hasn't been the best lately. The virus outbreak shifted so much in less than 5 days that it's thrown me completely off track and caused a lot, and I mean A LOT of stress.

Completely understood.  Thank you for your service @Calderon, you are welcome anytime here.  Can't thank you enough.   A true Volunteer!   Stay safe!

• Like 1

.96 in the rain bucket yesterday. 7.11 for the month. 

Another wet one incoming today into Wednesday. The Euro/NAM/RGEM/GFS show pretty wide spread general 1.5-3 inches with any area that gets under a strong storm liable to see more. Even on the low end that would stick me with a 5 day total just over 5 inches of rain. High end and I have another double digit rainfall month in the books with nearly a week left. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thursday night the stars were particularly vivid. I could almost discern the Milky Way from MBY but not quite near the city. Still the peaceful feeling out under the stars was incredible. Figure with reduced pollution in these times the star gazing will be excellent on clear nights.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Low temps are bottoming out 3-4 degrees lower than forecast for MBY.   Made it to 31 at TRI this AM.  Last I had checked, it was supposed to be 34.  Pretty close to a freeze and not a frost - not quite but close.  Big difference between 34 and 31 for folks who have gardens.   Frost at 33-34 is handled with covering items.  When temps go below 32, what material is used to cover matters.  If humidity builds up under some materials, it will actually freeze under the cover.  At 33-34, this doesn't happen as much.  At 31, it can harm plants under tarps and plastic due to that.

1.58 inches of rain in the last 24 hours, now over 9 inches for the month with 1.5-2 more inches being modeled through April 30th. I can't imagine there's ever been a more rainy 28 months than the prior 28 months in my area. Basically since the drought broke after the severe fires of 2016 the spigot hasn't really closed off except for a few weeks last September.

• Like 3