• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2020 OBS Thread

I am starting to doubt we're going to get a hot summer. No sign of any prolonged heat, just tons and tons of easterly flow 60s/70s as far as I can see. Memorial day weekend has trended colder and the winds are from the east-northeast till probably next wednesday

• Like 2

So Philly has only recorded 0.7" of precip this May. Looking at future guidance, it's fairly possible Philly could end up with only around 1-1.2" of precip for the entire month of May if the drier guidance verifies. There's a long way to go obviously. But nevertheless, the average for May is ~3.6" and it's very likely we'll end up over 2" below for the month of May. In case you're interested, the record minimum is 0.47" in 1964 (Record Max is 7.41" in 1948). To break the top 10 for driest May's ever, we'd have to finish with less than 1.28" (2005). So we've got a fighting shot I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newman said:

So Philly has only recorded 0.7" of precip this May. Looking at future guidance, it's fairly possible Philly could end up with only around 1-1.2" of precip for the entire month of May if the drier guidance verifies. There's a long way to go obviously. But nevertheless, the average for May is ~3.6" and it's very likely we'll end up over 2" below for the month of May. In case you're interested, the record minimum is 0.47" in 1964 (Record Max is 7.41" in 1948). To break the top 10 for driest May's ever, we'd have to finish with less than 1.28" (2005). So we've got a fighting shot I guess.

It should be impossible to have a top 10 cold May also in the top 10 for dryness. I think anything is possible in 2020...

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

On 5/19/2020 at 4:06 PM, Newman said:

Currently 13.49" on the year at PHL. Ranked #102 out of the last 136 years at this point of the year. This is a cool little website for PHL climo if you've never seen it: http://jcweather.com/100rainytd.php

• Like 1

Looks like we possibly begin to warm up next week. Taking a run at 80 by Tuesday possibly and maybe taking a run at our first 90 by next Friday if long term guidance is to be believed. Time to dust off/install those air conditioners this weekend as it's looking like memorial day is going to usher in summer. Would be cool if we finally see some convection. This year's severe season has been severely(pun intended) lacking.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Iceman said:

Looks like we possibly begin to warm up next week. Taking a run at 80 by Tuesday possibly and maybe taking a run at our first 90 by next Friday if long term guidance is to be believed. Time to dust off/install those air conditioners this weekend as it's looking like memorial day is going to usher in summer. Would be cool if we finally see some convection. This year's severe season has been severely(pun intended) lacking.

Every long term this Spring has busted regarding heat. (and precip to some degree) Always trended cooler and less precip...maybe this will be the turn around?

I ended up with a good soaking yesterday (after the year-long faucet was suddenly shut off).  Was socked in with fog this morning although not as thick as it could have been.  Had 0.78" of rain yesterday and 0.38" so far today (total for 2 days = 1.16").  It's been interesting to watch the radar and the low's bands pivoting up up and away.

Currently 67 and muggy/misty.

Had another heavy shower rotate through here around 2:30 pm depositing an additional 0.05" of rain, so now up to 0.43" for the day (making it a1.21" 2-day total).

Sun is back out and temp is creeping back up again and now at 70.  The high was 75 so far earlier today before this latest shower, after a low of 64.

Beautiful day down the shore in Sea Isle City - temp has bounced around a lot depending on wind direction. When I got to the beach it was 76.2....30 minutes later we dropped to 66.3 and now back up to the high for the day and warmest so far this year at 77.7....backdoor front will move through later bringing us back to chilled reality tomorrow with temps struggling to make it out of the 50's in SIC

2020-05-23 13.38.45.jpg

• Like 2

Long term reduction of temps may happen again. The predicted late next week highs of mid-upper 80s to near 90 now looks like low-mid 80s for the city and low 80s burbs. If that?

73F, nice breeze. If every day in the summer was like today I would enjoy summer way more.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BBasile said:

I've had no more measurable rain today at my weather station, but two miles away at my local park was a different story.  I had about 1 minute left of an 11 mile run when I got dumped on.  lol  Oh well, it felt good anyway.  

I've been shafted the last 2 days....had a little but not much. 

On Thursday, silly me thought the lawn may be too wet on Sun for lawn cutting...lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

53F/44DP

Really can't beat it for this time of year. Flannel/sweatshirt weather this morning...

Let's enjoy it while it lasts! Hazy, hot and humid will be here before we know it.

Also got down to 53F overnight. I'll miss this great sleeping weather once summer kicks in.

• Weenie 1