• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2020 OBS Thread

1 hour ago, BBasile said:

I was wondering when the last time it snowed in May in this area (Philly metro).  Not accumulating snow, but just anything at all.   Not in my lifetime.  

I thought the same but this is kinda shocking because I don't remember either of these events. I must have been on a extended weekend bender....

'"After the second-least snowiest season on record in Philadelphia, this spring snowflake chance is quite the surprise! Philadelphia has only recorded six days with snow in May dating back to 1885 — all trace amounts.

The most recent of these May trace snowfalls occurred in 2010 and the latest occurred on May 24 in 2000."

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2020/05/06/philadelphia-weather-snow-in-may-parts-of-region-could-see-snowflakes-wind-chills-dipping-into-20s/

May 24th...WTF?  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I thought the same but this is kinda shocking because I don't remember either of these events. I must have been on a extended weekend bender....

'"After the second-least snowiest season on record in Philadelphia, this spring snowflake chance is quite the surprise! Philadelphia has only recorded six days with snow in May dating back to 1885 — all trace amounts.

The most recent of these May trace snowfalls occurred in 2010 and the latest occurred on May 24 in 2000."

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2020/05/06/philadelphia-weather-snow-in-may-parts-of-region-could-see-snowflakes-wind-chills-dipping-into-20s/

May 24th...WTF?  

I thought maybe somebody at CBS was smoking crack, so I had to check it out myself.  It really did snow in May in Philly in those  years.  I definitely can't recall either of those times.  

May snow.png

5 minutes ago, BBasile said:

I thought maybe somebody at CBS was smoking crack, so I had to check it out myself.  It really did snow in May in Philly in those  years.  I definitely can't recall either of those times.  

May snow.png

Yep, looky there. I must have been under a rock because I don't even remotely remember either of those dates. The 24th really baffles me....a week before June, snow and I don't remember it????   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Yep, looky there. I must have been under a rock because I don't even remotely remember either of those dates. The 24th really baffles me....a week before June, snow and I don't remember it????   

Yeah, snow on Memorial Day...pretty much.  Wild.  

Interesting snippet from Mt.Holly's AFD for today and tonight.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/... 
  As a large mid level closed low slowly digs southeast out of  
  Ontario, a surface low over our region this evening is expected to  
  intensify and deepen. Unfortunately, there are still several  
  question marks with this event even though we are now within 12 to  
  24 hours of some of the impacts. For one, it still isn`t clear where  
  the center of the surface low will be by early this evening. Most  
  high res models have trended further northwest with the center of  
  the low. This will have impacts on temperatures, where exactly the  
  frontogenesis forcing will set up, and what areas will have some  
  (meager) instability. Another concern I have is that by late last  
  evening a low level southwesterly jet developed that was not well  
  sampled by the 00Z soundings (only evident from the VWPs of KDOX,  
  KDIX, and KOKX). This has me concerned that there may be other  
  significant mesoscale features that have not been sampled well and  
  thus not accounted for in the models. As for the various aspects of  
  the event today:

So again how incredibly rare are the cold temperatures tomorrow across Chester County PA? Tomorrow will be only the 14th May day since record keeping began way back in 1894 with a high temperature only in the 40's. It will be our 1st May day with a high in the 40's since May 12, 2008. If my WXSIM forecast high of 43 degrees were to verify that would tie for the coldest May max temperature EVER on record which was set on May 1, 1963!  My NWS point and click is 44 degrees....that would tie for the 2nd coldest May day ever set back on May 5, 1917

2 hours ago, BBasile said:

Def a good call.  Didn't even think!

You know what screwed you and I up is CBS said the latest snowfall amounts....I may sue them.

While on a rant, it is much more pleasing/normal to say/hear "wind chill" (6abc) for Sat rather than (NBC10) douchey "real feel"....also a plus to see Jim and Cecily IN THE STUDIO at the same time keeping it real. Another plus for 6abc.... 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

You know what screwed you and I up is CBS said the latest snowfall amounts....I may sue them.

While on a rant, it is much more pleasing/normal to say/hear "wind chill" (6abc) for Sat rather than (NBC10) douchey "real feel"....also a plus to see Jim and Cecily IN THE STUDIO at the same time keeping it real. Another plus for 6abc.... 

I don't watch TV weather, but shouldn't it be the other way around since Accuweather owns the term RealFeel?  

13 minutes ago, BBasile said:

I don't watch TV weather, but shouldn't it be the other way around since Accuweather owns the term RealFeel?  

It isn't though.  NBC10 always says "real feel", not windchill. I hear 6abc say wind chill although they may say "real feel" but I don't recall. 

Another thing. NBC10 puts the temps map up for this Sat (tomorrow) and it looks like the real temps but a little graphic in the upper left hand corner says "real feel". My parents (in their 80s) saw this and the highs for Sat and said will be in the 20s/30s....I said no..no. That's stupid ass NBC10 "real feel" trying to be dramatic.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Inside now with dry clothes on... 47F outside. Rainfall total for the pm is 0.40", probably about 0.25 in 15 minutes during that heavy shower. Got kind of breezy during it and still is with just light rain now.

Not here yet, but definitely lost some steam.