• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2020 OBS Thread

Just noticed Ft. Dix radar is working again. Only info I could find says repairs were complete April 29th. I hadn't checked because I'd been using Dover.

Someone should let the guy in South Jersey know (the one who doesn't like snow and complains vigorously when Mt. Holly's radar is down).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Just noticed Ft. Dix radar is working again. Only info I could find says repairs were complete April 29th. I hadn't checked because I'd been using Dover.

Someone should let the guy in South Jersey know (the one who doesn't like snow and complains vigorously when Mt. Holly's radar is down).

Thanks, good to know.

Just fell into the 40s at 49F

9 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Yeah I had been saving some of my radar shots the afternoon of of 4/29 and using DOX and noticed that DIX was back.

(1st screenshot is DOX & 2nd is DIX around the same time)

radar-kdox-04292020.png

radar-kdix-04292020.png

14 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

I think I've seen this guy complaining on Twitter.  Not sure what there is to complain about.  South Jersey pretty much has the best radar coverage in the country.  

So, the temp is actually dropping here as the day goes on.  As if 20F below normal wasn't enough.  Currently at 48.4F and falling.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BBasile said:

I think I've seen this guy complaining on Twitter.  Not sure what there is to complain about.  South Jersey pretty much has the best radar coverage in the country.  

So, the temp is actually dropping here as the day goes on.  As if 20F below normal wasn't enough.  Currently at 48.4F and falling.  

Yep, I was at 51F earlier...then 50F and now just looked and it's 48F. The clouds have definitely lowered w/some wind and mist/light rain.

• Like 1

One thing the models do agree on is the cold air available with this
system. 850mb temps are around -10C and as the low pulls offshore
and away from the region, wrap around precipitation will be
likely to occur. With such cold temperatures it is more likely
that a change over to snow or a mix of rain/snow showers will
occur. Light accumulations may occur in the higher elevations of
the southern Poconos and northwestern New Jersey, possibly even
down into portions of the Lehigh Valley.

4 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Benchmark track for us. Bring it!! And people wonder why everyone is sick.

This winter in April May pattern is perfect for virus survival and indoor transmission and likely aided thousands of extra deaths between sickness and suicides

• Weenie 1

So how unusual is this cold May in Western Chester County PA? very! On top of the potential of snow in the air on Friday and Saturday in May - an extremely rare event in the climate change era....or heck any era climate change or not! We are well on the way to the latest 80+ degree reading in at least the last 38 years here in Chester County. Already through today this is the 5th latest 80+ degree reading so late into May. In looking at the longer range models it looks increasingly possible that we will set a record for the latest 80+ day in County history. Below are the latest such readings 

#1 - 5/22/1988 / #2 - 5/20/1984 / #3 - 5/19/1997 - 5/19/1992 - 5/19/2019 / #4 - 5/10/1987 - #5 - TBD here in 2020

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

I'd like to see it if there is snow in the air here tomorrow night, would be a first in May around here for me. According to the NAM I'd have to be up around 2 or 3 am. I'm gonna set my alarm tomorrow evening if it looks likely.

Yep, that's what I figure. Being up at that time is not difficult these days due to my screwed up schedule. Two things are a must:

-Phone is fully charged/pictures/video

-Beer/booze

Summer records are cool but winter/snow records in May are mega-ultra-super cool and way more noteworthy in my book.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

I'd like to see it if there is snow in the air here tomorrow night, would be a first in May around here for me. According to the NAM I'd have to be up around 2 or 3 am. I'm gonna set my alarm tomorrow evening if it looks likely.

I was wondering when the last time it snowed in May in this area (Philly metro).  Not accumulating snow, but just anything at all.   Not in my lifetime.  

18 minutes ago, BBasile said:

I was wondering when the last time it snowed in May in this area (Philly metro).  Not accumulating snow, but just anything at all.   Not in my lifetime.  

Not in mine either, that I'm aware of at least. Pretty sure it's been a looong time.

• Like 1