• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2020 OBS Thread

10 minutes ago, Newman said:

We'll see about this....I don't like the cloud debris and CINH around. Will need some sun or at least breaks in clouds to boost CAPE values.

Sun will certainly ramp things up. There's quite a break to our W before more activity so we'll see.

Gusty winds (20-25mph) currently w/low clouds.  61F

2 minutes ago, rcostell said:

So- Dear Sir- we DON"T want this. Virus is bad enough here. You DO realize that, right?  No offense... 

It's a weather forum...what do you expect? No one wants the virus to spread any further and hopefully reduce but life goes on including weather... 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

It's a weather forum...what do you expect? No one wants the virus to spread any further and hopefully reduce but life goes on including weather... 

Over in my forum we've got a guy still posting fantasy snow maps...lol. Now that's one thing I don't want to see any more of this year. I've got green, growing grass, flowers, budding trees, etc. Time for spring and to put winter to bed until November...

• Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, rcostell said:

So- Dear Sir- we DON"T want this. Virus is bad enough here. You DO realize that, right?  No offense... 

Well of course, I never root for death or destruction. But I'm a met student who loves extreme weather, as do most people on this board I assume. I'm here to track the storms and watch them atmospherically. What results from them is of course the worst part, but its fascinating. Take today for example. CAPE and instability is very limited. But look at the extreme 850mb jet we've got screaming above us! Shear and veering is off the charts. Hodographs are very curvy. In fact, get ready for a Tor watch, 80% by the SPC:

mcd0381.gif

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Over in my forum we've got a guy still posting fantasy snow maps...lol. Now that's one thing I don't want to see any more of this year. I've got green, growing grass, flowers, budding trees, etc. Time for spring and to put winter to bed until November...

Sounds like a weenie.

It will be below normal the rest of the week which I don't mind at all so Spring still on hold for the time being but I don't see severe cold destroying your vegetation... 

62F/low clouds/gusty

3 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Sounds like a weenie.

It will be below normal the rest of the week which I don't mind at all so Spring still on hold for the time being but I don't see severe cold destroying your vegetation... 

62F/low clouds/gusty

My forecast low for Friday morning is 29 so we shall see. I suppose I could put some pillow cases over the plants and hope it's enough.

Looks like round 1 is about done here.  Ended up with 1.57" of rain.  Currently 61 and misty. I believe the next step is warming once the warm front lifts to the north, and then the coming of the cold front (with winds really picking up during the day and into the  evening).  Am guessing wherever that triple point goes, so lands the worst of it.

nws-current-surface-map1-04132020.gif

3 minutes ago, Voyager said:

My forecast low for Friday morning is 29 so we shall see. I suppose I could put some pillow cases over the plants and hope it's enough.

That may be borderline and yeah protect them if you can but I left plants out w/sub 32F and they were fine or recovered. But if it's night after night then that's a problem. Also you may hit sub 32F for a very short period (4-7am) which I think is minimal...sun pops up all is fine.

Tornado Watch up from Norman, OK.

Tornado Watch

TORNADO WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WT 119
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1130 AM EDT MON APR 13 2020

TORNADO WATCH 119 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 600 PM EDT FOR THE
 FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

PAC001-009-011-013-017-021-025-027-029-035-037-041-043-045-055-
057-061-067-071-075-077-079-081-087-089-091-093-095-097-099-101-
107-109-111-113-119-133-132200-
/O.NEW.KWNS.TO.A.0119.200413T1530Z-200413T2200Z/

PA
.    PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ADAMS                BEDFORD             BERKS
BLAIR                BUCKS               CAMBRIA
CARBON               CENTRE              CHESTER
CLINTON              COLUMBIA            CUMBERLAND
DAUPHIN              DELAWARE            FRANKLIN
FULTON               HUNTINGDON          JUNIATA
LANCASTER            LEBANON             LEHIGH
LUZERNE              LYCOMING            MIFFLIN
MONROE               MONTGOMERY          MONTOUR
NORTHAMPTON          NORTHUMBERLAND      PERRY
PHILADELPHIA         SCHUYLKILL          SNYDER
SOMERSET             SULLIVAN            UNION
YORK
$$

About 1.6" of rain so far. Gusty, but not too bad yet -- I'd say the strongest winds have been in the 25-30 mph range. As others have said, any sort of sun later today will have a big say in just how severe our afternoon storms are. Stay safe everyone!

1 hour ago, Newman said:

Well of course, I never root for death or destruction. But I'm a met student who loves extreme weather, as do most people on this board I assume. I'm here to track the storms and watch them atmospherically. What results from them is of course the worst part, but its fascinating. Take today for example. CAPE and instability is very limited. But look at the extreme 850mb jet we've got screaming above us! Shear and veering is off the charts. Hodographs are very curvy. In fact, get ready for a Tor watch, 80% by the SPC:

mcd0381.gif

Good call Just issued 

1 hour ago, Newman said:

mcd0381.gif

I understand and agree with this post. Same here.  I took your post above (in a weather forum) to be rooting for "damaging" outcome. Don't mean to be too tense.