• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2020

George BM

There is two very problematic approaches when it comes to the numbers that we see.. #1 is that we do not have consistency in methodology.  Anitbody testing is non existent in the US.. and this is what we really need in order to determine who has been exposed to the virus so that we know the actual mortality rates.  #2 is that we need to be able to determine if Corona Virus is the cause of death vs Corona virus is present at the time of death.  

I realize that we are never gonna agree here and that is fine but I don’t think there is a noteworthy distinction between pneumonia caused by Coronavirus and Coronavirus itself. I assume that’s what you are getting at with the last point.

Before anyone’s says that last statement was political...I’m not saying a healthy skepticism of information isn’t ok.  And some people of every political persuasion are too quick to dismiss facts that don’t conform to their preferred narrative. But in this case the “this is no big deal” argument and conspiracy suggestions are just completely beyond the pale of logic and reason.  Frankly I find them to be insulting to humanity in general. It requires such an extreme assumption of stupidity in so many millions of people to make those theories plausible...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PDIII said:

I am not being facetious at all.. people need to get sick to fight this virus.. it is the only way.  The virus will stop spreading when people build up the necessary immunities.  And this happens in schools.  Shutting down schools was probably the worst thing we could have done.   

This is informational warfare at its finest.. checkout china for instance.. they instituted social distancing at the end of January and then about 6 weeks later they reported no new cases. 

How can anyone with half a brain believe that this is true?  Thats not how this works!!!  

If we are only trying to "flatten" the curve.. how is it that china how some how miraculously made the curve go away?  they didnt.  They either ran out of test or (more likely) stop testing or (most likely) stopped reporting new cases and deaths.

They want you to believe that social distancing is the answer so that while world shuts down, they ramp up production of the vital products the rest of the world needs... they artificially are driving the stock market and world supply and demand. 

Oy!  I don't want to wade into this controversy because I have definite views that are not aligned with yours.  And I've got far more than half a brain, thank you very much for the insulting condescension there.  But read about 1918.  They were no strangers to what we now call "social distancing" or "flattening the curve."  Most widely seen image is what St. Louis did vs. Philadelphia at that time, and the difference is stark.  And throughout history, quarantines and the like were common practice in the absence of other medicine.  As for China, they introduced rather draconian stay-at-home orders.  I'm not saying we are headed there, and yes, they haven't gotten "rid" of it, but it did help.  The whole idea is to first, keep the emergency facilities from becoming overwhelmed and second, perhaps it will reduce the amount of infection cases at least enough until we can get a vaccine or some other treatment.  And we've already got overwhelmed facilities here.

You sound like what Boris Johnson in the UK was saying, let everyone get sick and go from there.  But even he changed his tune rather dramatically in the past week or so.

Fact is if we can keep millions from dying and far more from suffering through bad cases if they do survive, we should do so as a matter of ethics.  This whole idea that "it's just the flu" is crazy; it's a virus that nobody has any immunity to, and you may not have permanent immunity after.  And it's world-wide.  It's also much harsher than the regular seasonal flu or cold.  It's not alarmist.  And don't even think that even if this settles down through the summer, that it won't come back as we get into the next fall/winter.  And by then, we'll have the full complement of the flu season in front of us; not just a couple of months at the end like this year

I swear, when I see the complaints, I wonder what those whining about it would have done during WW-II and the Depression, when various laws were put in place to support the war effort or to alleviate the economic disaster...serious sacrifices, etc.  Now, there's too much BS about "I don't want the gov'mint taking away my free-dumb during a crisis that they're exaggerating!"

OK, sorry to everyone else, I did wade into the controversy, perhaps to my own detriment.  But had to vent a little...my apologies!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Before anyone’s says that last statement was political...I’m not saying a healthy skepticism of information isn’t ok.  And some people of every political persuasion are too quick to dismiss facts that don’t conform to their preferred narrative. But in this case the “this is no big deal” argument and conspiracy suggestions are just completely beyond the pale of logic and reason.  Frankly I find them to be insulting to humanity in general. It requires such an extreme assumption of stupidity in so many millions of people to make those theories plausible...

I didn't find your comment political.  Viruses don't care what one's philosophy is.  I was actually worried my long comment below yours sounded too "political" or "charged", but I've about reached my limit so had to vent a little.  So I get where you're coming from.

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Look China made some bleep up and every medical institution and government in the world is either in cahoots to this conspiracy or run by mouth breathing knuckle dragging morons who can’t see the obvious truth that he does!  

I’m done with him.  He doesn’t get it because he doesn’t want to get it and no facts are going to matter because anything that doesn’t conform to his narrative is simply “fake”. But he “knows”!

The single party authoritarian leadership in China cannot have it both ways. Their enterprising citizenry has now had the taste of honey. The totalitarian, isolated China of the 50’s could have pulled it off. It’s much harder, now, for their leadership to keep the lid on the truth. Notice how well their bastard child to the north of South Korea has kept his nations real disaster quiet. If the present Chineses leadership wants to continue their growth in the global economy, their window of information will never be completely sealed. Something as basic as burial urn information will find its way to the light of day. We should put our left and right leaning inclinations aside and think logically with the middle, our heads. Yes the truth of their outbreak and it’s source has been abridged. My opinion may seem jaded but I feel that their leaderships draconian efforts had more to do with the potential loss of their growing global economic dominance then concern for their good citizens. The full extent will come out in time. As always ... 

Yes, please. This thread is slowly getting too political. Even the debate about the virus itself is creeping into that area where people are ignoring facts. 

I know this crisis is on everyone’s mind but we usually do ok with keeping the weather side and even banter mostly free of the pressing news. 

what I’m trying to say is please don’t make this into the MA PR thread. There’s a place for that so go there if you feel the need to discuss whatever conspiracy theory you have(PDIII). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Maybe these remote work companies? There’s a ton of money and time being saved with these virtual meetings. 

That's def a good one. We've come a long way in the last 10 years...even 5 really...with teleworking. This is just a small sample size, but if you can maintain your IT support you're good.

3 hours ago, PDIII said:

I am not being facetious at all.. people need to get sick to fight this virus.. it is the only way.  The virus will stop spreading when people build up the necessary immunities.  And this happens in schools.  Shutting down schools was probably the worst thing we could have done.   

This is informational warfare at its finest.. checkout china for instance.. they instituted social distancing at the end of January and then about 6 weeks later they reported no new cases. 

How can anyone with half a brain believe that this is true?  Thats not how this works!!!  

If we are only trying to "flatten" the curve.. how is it that china how some how miraculously made the curve go away?  they didnt.  They either ran out of test or (more likely) stop testing or (most likely) stopped reporting new cases and deaths.

They want you to believe that social distancing is the answer so that while world shuts down, they ramp up production of the vital products the rest of the world needs... they artificially are driving the stock market and world supply and demand. 

China basically shut there country down for a month. 

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

He makes a good pillow.  And I saw a headline that he’s turning his factory to make 50,000 face masks/day?  I like that.

A LOT of businesses are doing that right now. And I commend all of them!  But not all of them were crackheads who were arrested for domestic assault,  fraudulent checks, violating a protection order, lost a million dollar fraud suit, filed bankruptcy, has an F rating from the BBB....but also donated to Trump and said he was chosen by God and is possibly running for office.  It seemed like a publicity stunt to me and I don’t think that was the right place for that. But I am famously not a big fan of Trump and so I am admitidly biased so if others saw it as a genuine thing and not a publicity stunt to help a friend of Trump I will concede maybe I was seeing it through jaded lenses. 

• Like 1

@PDIII While I do find your posts entertaining I have unfortunately encountered a side effect I wasn't expecting. I have found my IQ drops a couple of points after each one of your posts. I never knew that there was such a thing as a neg. IQ. But lough and behold I think I have now achieved it after your last several posts. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

@showmethesnow I went to the Home Depot up your way on Eisenhower dr. Sunday to get electrical supplies and they are definitely taking lots of precautions.  I noticed in the paint section they stacked up 3 rows of orange 5 gallon buckets all around that main paint mixing center which totally encapsulates the worker - pretty crazy but dont blame them.  They also put tables in front of the cash registers and have a person guarding entrance and exit so u go strait in and strait out . My main electrical supply house in Timonium we are not allowed inside anymore.  We have to call ahead and they bring stuff out . It's a whole new normal for sure and sadly only the very beginning. I've also noticed the Construction workers I run into ..most think this is a elderly problem only and everyone should be working as normal other then them. So definitely still people out there not taking this seriously. 

Pretty much in bunker mode here. Went out yesterday for a quick trip to Turkey Hill for milk but besides that my wife and I have been home since last Tuesday afternoon. So am not really sure what measures are being put in place locally besides what my neighbor tells me over the fence and our local community boards. Pretty much stocked up (for a month+ of self enforced exile) on most of our needs 5-6 weeks ago when it was obvious there was probably going to be issues headed our way. Will be contingent on how the virus evolves here but right now I am planning on making a quick weekly trip to the grocery store for a few perishables but if things get bad I can forgo that. Getting bored as crap but at least we are getting some much needed work done around the house.

50 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

@PDIII While I do find your posts entertaining I have unfortunately encountered a side effect I wasn't expecting. I have found my IQ drops a couple of points after each one of your posts. I never knew that there was such a thing as a neg. IQ. But lough and behold I think I have now achieved it after your last several posts. 

I talk about this in group therapy last night... I put it all out there.. that I thought I was going nuts.. that I felt like I was the only person in the world who thought the way I did.. they set me up with an appointment with a nurse practitioner to put me in Suboxone and maybe adjust the mood stabilizer.. so we will see what happens..

in the mean time.. I need to focus on work.. I two full time jobs and one part time job and I am falling behind on all of them!

BTW.. I was watching on youtube last night and the hospitals are like ghost towns in NYC.. I would link you but youtube took down the video.

17 minutes ago, PDIII said:

I talk about this in group therapy last night... I put it all out there.. that I thought I was going nuts.. that I felt like I was the only person in the world who thought the way I did.. they set me up with an appointment with a nurse practitioner to put me in Suboxone and maybe adjust the mood stabilizer.. so we will see what happens..

in the mean time.. I need to focus on work.. I two full time jobs and one part time job and I am falling behind on all of them!

BTW.. I was watching on youtube last night and the hospitals are like ghost towns in NYC.. I would link you but youtube took down the video.

Might I suggest you take a hiatus from the computer and the TV and the news they bring? You seem to have come too emotionally invested in this virus and it shows. This seems to be quite obvious from your disjointed, conspiratorial and often contradictory postings of late. Take a break for a few days and try to get your head back on straight.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Pretty much in bunker mode here. Went out yesterday for a quick trip to Turkey Hill for milk but besides that my wife and I have been home since last Tuesday afternoon. So am not really sure what measures are being put in place locally besides what my neighbor tells me over the fence and our local community boards. Pretty much stocked up (for a month+ of self enforced exile) on most of our needs 5-6 weeks ago when it was obvious there was probably going to be issues headed our way. Will be contingent on how the virus evolves here but right now I am planning on making a quick weekly trip to the grocery store for a few perishables but if things get bad I can forgo that. Getting bored as crap but at least we are getting some much needed work done around the house.

Your neighbor Wilson??

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, PDIII said:

Jerry Falwell seems to be the only one with any sense in this situation

you should go to to school, take some classes, report back. 

16 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah.  I don't think there's necessarily a *huge* difference from what the orders were before, other than now this gives authority to enforce it if people are blatantly violating.  I'd be frustrated if I were him, too.  You can still go out for necessities, exercise, that sort of thing.  That's mostly all I've done myself the past couple or so weeks.  I think they also still have some carry-out at various restaurants...order ahead and pick it up.  I've done that a couple of times, too, just to at least still patronize some places to help keep them afloat.

Like I said before...yes, this sucks and nobody likes it.  But it's what needs to be done if we're to have some chance of curtailing things somewhat.

correct. hogan is going to enforce it now because too many aren't taking it seriously. see PD3

10 hours ago, supernovasky said:

If anyone needs some good news on COVID, 5th day in a row with deceleration in cases. Flattening the curve is working.

hNB0ThU.png

(source is Worldometers)

That's a start ie not seeing exponentially growing new cases past few days. But I believe the chart I'm posting from the same source is where most agencies look when referencing the flattening of the curve no? Not debating as I agree slowing the daily new cases is step 1 to getting the chart I posted the begin flattening. We really need to start seeing more recoveries. Hospitals still getting overwhelmed in the hot spots with ~19-20k new cases per day and fewer than 1000 recoveries.

20200331_082249.jpg

I hit a deer yesterday morning. All the years of living here with deer everywhere, I had never hit one. A few close calls. Anyway I have a leased vehicle that has to be turned in in 2 months, so I am getting it repaired hopefully the end of this week. Friend of mine has a "do all" car repair business, but the core business is auto body repair. Family run place, and they are usually swamped because they do excellent work. His business is down significantly now, but he has enough to keep all his employees working.

• Sad 1

I haven't really stepped into this much vocally (there are lots on here that look way more indepth to this and have added some great info) but while the deceleration in the rate of the increasing number of daily new cases is a good thing to see... that might just be that only so many people are being tested in a day. I mean we all know that there are probably millions who already have it (I know... not exactly big news (limited testing availability)). But the daily death rate is probably more representative of how things are shaping up here.

This, of course, is just my opinion.

• H2O unpinned this topic