• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March Banter 2020

George BM

I mean they are cancelling the Olympics. I think they are preparing for this thing to last through into the summer. Even if we quarantine and bend the curve back in 2-3 weeks from now, it'll still be hard to phase back in, and will likely result in having to quarantine again from time to time or still practice some form of social distancing.

5 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I mean they are cancelling the Olympics. I think they are preparing for this thing to last through into the summer. Even if we quarantine and bend the curve back in 2-3 weeks from now, it'll still be hard to phase back in, and will likely result in having to quarantine again from time to time or still practice some form of social distancing.

What happens if we slow down the spread of the virus (which I am giving social distancing at least some chance in accomplishing) and then open everything back to work and school?

I am no expert.. but dont these things need to like run their course?  I would expect every just gets sick.. like we are supposed to?

1 minute ago, PDIII said:

What happens if we slow down the spread of the virus (which I am giving social distancing at least some chance in accomplishing) and then open everything back to work and school?

I am no expert.. but dont these things need to like run their course?  I would expect every just gets sick.. like we are supposed to?

The best plans I've seen are to do it in phases. Shut EVERYTHING down for 3-4 weeks like in Italy and China. Then get the testing that we were supposed to be doing beforehand, so we can QUICKLY identify clusters and squash them.

Even with the above, you're likely to see it spread again to the point of needing to close things down again. But you can generally keep things functioning like this, like in South Korea and Japan, for quite a long time until we get the vaccine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PDIII said:

What exactly do you mean here?

21 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

This has to be the biggest event other than 9/11 in my lifetime, or the crash of 2008 including the swine flu pandemic a year later. Ever.

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Va closed schools the rest of the year.  Damn.  My son is a senior this year.

Very sad to hear for all the seniors out there - same goes for those at the University level.  Our daughter is considering herself fortunate for having graduated from W&M last year.  Her former classmates this year will have to do without a commencement ceremony.  

While the impact on education in the US is beyond anything previously contemplated, it was inevitable.  As a comparison, it's worth noting Japan closed all of their public schools and universities in one action early in the onset of the pandemic.  That's credited with being a major factor in minimizing the impact in Japan.  To date they still have "only" 1100 cases and 41 fatalities, which is pretty amazing giving their population density.  As a comparison, imagine and area smaller in area than the Washington/Baltimore metropolitan area with 40 million people - that's the Tokyo-Yokohama metropolis.  Compared to less than 6 million for the W-BMA.  6 times our population in a smaller area.

18 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

What exactly do you mean here?

What I mean is that typically you would want the virus make its way through the population in order for people to build up the needed immunities.  Since we have prevented that natural process, I would expect that as soon as social distancing is done, the virus spread of the virus will once again accelerate.  

1 hour ago, yoda said:

I expect Maryland to follow suit or be closed till sometime in May... NC schools are closed through May 15th

I think they are already planning on it and just not saying anything yet. Our email from FCPS stated they were waiting on approval for their plan from the State Dept. of Ed. And that online learning would start on March 30th.

7 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Shelter in place works.

Then you can slowly come out, test EVERYONE, and establish extremely strong disease surveillance to ensure that it doesn't go unchecked again.

And everyone has to wear masks. Look at South Korea and Japan, the only countries to have this under control from the getgo.

20 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Gotta say, working from home is not bad. Grab a beer whenever, do a workout when I want. Go outside and get some stuff done. I am sure this social isolation thing will get old, but not minding it right now. And it is for the greater good, and is necessary.

I haven’t gotten a midday beer while working. 

Yet.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, PDIII said:

I own property down there and the roads are not closed.

Ok

2 hours ago, PDIII said:

it has to burn out, which means limiting hosts, which means everyone stay the **** home 

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Gotta say, working from home is not bad. Grab a beer whenever, do a workout when I want. Go outside and get some stuff done. I am sure this social isolation thing will get old, but not minding it right now. And it is for the greater good, and is necessary.

This. I can get a decent amount done during the day, husband too. We juggle the kid and who is giving her attention, helping with school work or whatever. I’ve been working until 2-3pm then focus on her completely, and work a little in the evening. sleeping until 7, checking emails over coffee and not wearing a bra has made this working from home thing worth it lol 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

And they were squarely in the "let it run its course" camp. Hopefully the leadership got it together in time. 

Jaydreb beat me to it.

10 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Well, Trump said we’re reopening for business very soon. At the same time all the Governors are shutting everything down.  Nice to have a consistent message.  

9 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Well, Trump said we’re reopening for business very soon. At the same time all the Governors are shutting everything down.  Nice to have a consistent message.  

His real words and real thoughts will come during the Q&A.  The canned speech he doesn’t deliver with much enthusiasm.  It’s just the way he is.  And seems to become easily bored.   

I get to carry a letter authorizing me to drive back and forth to work and while at work. I’m badass now. 

Bad part is that my wife got laid off. She worked at a preschool that had to close due to schools closing the rest of the year. 

2020 blows

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, H2O said:

I get to carry a letter authorizing me to drive back and forth to work and while at work. I’m badass now. 

Bad part is that my wife got laid off. She worked at a preschool that had to close due to schools closing the rest of the year. 

2020 blows

Sorry to hear that... that really sucks :(

We're currently fighting with OSSE and Fairfax to get paid for our school after this month.  We are a private therapeutic day school, level 5 school.  We basically get all of the DC kids that they can't teach in regular schools - special education and others... and all of the VA kids we have are ones who got kicked out of regular school and sent to us as a last stop before being sent to residential.  We've sent work home to the kids (nearly 100 in total) in the past two weeks and are preparing to do so again to prove that we are still teaching the kids even if not online.

I hope your wife is able to find something quickly

• H2O unpinned this topic