Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2020

George BM

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I’m not confident about going back in the fall, honestly. Question is whether we do this correctly or we all just get tired of the situation/the economic and social damage becomes too much to bear.

I fully expect that we won’t do this correctly.  

I do have some hope that as doctors gain more experience with the virus, medical science will develop some therapeutics that can at least help somewhat.  I also think they will do everything they can to accelerate the timetable for a vaccine, but that’s probably about a year away.  

33 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Hey ...any new brews on tap at your homestead?

Funny that you should ask. I’ve still got an oyster stout that i really like. Dry, coffee tones, chocolate on the nose, and really soft from the oyster liquor.

Also, just going through the Blichmann website because I need some equipment to go with the two 20 gallon brew pots that I got. I’m going to start doing 10 gallon batches so there will be plenty very soon!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yoda said:

Hope all those with kids are ready for schools to be out till at least May... DCPS is closed till April 27th at the earliest now. 

Not trying to make fun of any parents or anything... just saying get ready for more staying at home trying to entertain them once school work goes by the wayside

At this point i don’t see how schools start up again until the Fall.  I hope that’s not the case, but it doesn’t seem like opening in May makes a whole lot of sense.  And extending school into the summer doesn’t seem likely.

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I’m not confident about going back in the fall, honestly. Question is whether we do this correctly or we all just get tired of the situation/the economic and social damage becomes too much to bear.

The economic and social damage is already to much to bear.  My brother is a Restaurant Manager. His life is more or less destroyed.  Not to mention all the people that work for him.  And extrapolate that to the Macro level and it’s devastating.  And psychologically people are going to deteriorate quickly.  We have to go back to normal soon or I’m afraid the damage will be far greater than the damage the virus is causing or will cause. It’s shitty calculation to have to make.  Take Draconian measures to try to slow the virus and save lives.  Or don’t take the measures to save the economy and the lives that will be shattered in the process. Shitty

This whole thing is scary as heck. I'm 56. I get corona, I will die. Our economy will be shot straight to heck. I dont like the idea of having to relive what my grandparents had to live thru in the Great Depression. I know I wont enjoy Great Depression II.

On the other hand - I am happy to have known all of you. I had a great life in VA with all the snows. No one ever promised that I'd live to see 60, let alone 70 or 80.

The news just keeps getting worse and worse and worse and worse.

13 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

The economic and social damage is already to much to bear.  My brother is a Restaurant Manager. His life is more or less destroyed.  Not to mention all the people that work for him.  And extrapolate that to the Macro level and it’s devastating.  And psychologically people are going to deteriorate quickly.  We have to go back to normal soon or I’m afraid the damage will be far greater than the damage the virus is causing or will cause. It’s shitty calculation to have to make.  Take Draconian measures to try to slow the virus and save lives.  Or don’t take the measures to save the economy and the lives that will be shattered in the process. Shitty

Yeah this doggone virus has us caught between a rock and a very dark, very hard place.

1 hour ago, Jebman said:

This whole thing is scary as heck. I'm 56. I get corona, I will die. Our economy will be shot straight to heck. I dont like the idea of having to relive what my grandparents had to live thru in the Great Depression. I know I wont enjoy Great Depression II.

On the other hand - I am happy to have known all of you. I had a great life in VA with all the snows. No one ever promised that I'd live to see 60, let alone 70 or 80.

The news just keeps getting worse and worse and worse and worse.

For all my years reading your posts, I’d say you would whoop Corona’s ass if you got it.  Stay well Jebman

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wonderdog said:

On Thursday evening, I saw guys playing basketball outside in Arlington in a pretty crowded park, sweating like crazy. They do think they're invincible.

On my way to wholefoods for their breakfast bar!

9 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I was in timonium yesterday and traffic and pedestrians were a plenty . You'd never know there was a pandemic lol

Yoga moms are ok as long as it's not the midnight at Walmart yoga group :lol:

Yeah it gives me some entertainment while I sit here doing nothing lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Nice. I ride my bike past there frequently (well, not frequently enough) on the way to the hill from hell on Falls Rd. What do you do there?

Well now that recreation is shut down, not much lol. Change a couple trash cans. But when it’s busy with soccer/lacrosse we have to spray paint the fields, field upkeep etc. It’s generally a pretty cake job. 

11 hours ago, SnowGolfBro said:

The decision to let the economy go to hell has already been made.  And unfortunately it was made by all the people with cushy (non-essential) salaried jobs that can be done from a computer at home.  

The narrative kinda went like this.. "I can work from home.. so why should Buffalo Wild Wings be open?"

I just hope when those people are sitting in their living rooms on their couch listening to people talk on some non-essential conference call that they realize just how non-essential they really are.. that it really truly doesnt matter if they go to work or not... 

27 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Well now that recreation is shut down, not much lol. Change a couple trash cans. But when it’s busy with soccer/lacrosse we have to spray paint the fields, field upkeep etc. It’s generally a pretty cake job. 

21 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Sounds like my old golf course job. I enjoy that kind of work.

I worked for the pikesville and Owings mills rec council in the late 80's until the early 90's. Enjoyed it very much.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PDIII said:

The decision to let the economy go to hell has already been made.  And unfortunately it was made by all the people with cushy (non-essential) salaried jobs that can be done from a computer at home.  

The narrative kinda went like this.. "I can work from home.. so why should Buffalo Wild Wings be open?"

I just hope when those people are sitting in their living rooms on their couch listening to people talk on some non-essential conference call that they realize just how non-essential they really are.. that it really truly doesnt matter if they go to work or not... 

I’m lucky enough to have a job where i can work remotely.  But guess what? If this goes on for a few more weeks or even months, the downstream effects of a Depressed economy will be felt by everybody.  And if it gets to that, my guess is people will say enough is enough.  

15 hours ago, yoda said:

Hope all those with kids are ready for schools to be out till at least May... DCPS is closed till April 27th at the earliest now. 

Not trying to make fun of any parents or anything... just saying get ready for more staying at home trying to entertain them once school work goes by the wayside

Yea we just got a message from FCPS. Distance learning is being worked on and once the State Dept of Ed signs off on it the start date will be March 30th. They are saying that the date to be out till is March 27th but they are also saying that they expect it to change. 

2 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Yea we just got a message from FCPS. Distance learning is being worked on and once the State Dept of Ed signs off on it the start date will be March 30th. They are saying that the date to be out till is March 27th but they are also saying that they expect it to change. 

Cant do distance learning.  That puts a large number of students at a disadvantage.  Its likely that many kids will not have a conducive environment to regularly participate. 

4 hours ago, PDIII said:

I mean it's not like it was much of a decision anyway. The economy was going to eventually shut down regardless by people's own actions. You either shut it down preemptively, or watch it shut down when the hospitals can't take patients at all and people are dying in the streets like what happened in Iran and China. Eventually people will just hole themselves in regardless.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Its Saturday, 3pm. Sheltering in place. Must be HH!

I think I will sip on this DFH WWS.

I didn’t get to the yard today but my gf and I did a nice walk/hike on the Red Run trail in Owings Mills. Very quiet and peaceful. It was very easy to maintain a safe distance from the 10-20 people we saw over the course of an hour.

Cushwa Fog at Daybreak as a reward.

• Like 1

In strategic shift, doctors in America's two largest cities are told to skip some coronavirus testing

Health officials in New York City and Los Angeles County are signaling a change in local strategy when it comes to coronavirus testing, recommending that doctors avoid testing patients except in cases where a test result would significantly change the course of treatment.

A news release from the Los Angeles Department of Public Health this week advised doctors not to test those experiencing only mild respiratory symptoms unless “a diagnostic result will change clinical management or inform public health response.”

The recommendation reflects a "shifting from a strategy of case containment to slowing disease transmission and averting excess morbidity and mortality," according to the statement.

The guidance said coronavirus testing at L.A. County public health labs will prioritized those with symptoms, health care workers, residents of long-term care facilities, paramedics and other high-risk situations. Others are encouraged to simply stay at home.

At about the same time, the New York City Department of Health directed all healthcare facilities to immediately stop testing non-hospitalized patients for Covid-19. 

The strategy shift essentially codifies the reality health departments have been living with for weeks; a shortage of tests and protective equipment amid rising demand and case numbers.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-21-20-intl-hnk/h_78c431662464112a27434663a0860cdc

21 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I didn’t get to the yard today but my gf and I did a nice walk/hike on the Red Run trail in Owings Mills. Very quiet and peaceful. It was very easy to maintain a safe distance from the 10-20 people we saw over the course of an hour.

Cushwa Fog at Daybreak as a reward.

Yesterday I went for a walk around my neighborhood and I've never seen so many people/families out and about just walking. Obviously the 80 degree Fahrenheit weather had a big hand in that.

I kept a safe distance from others.

37 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I mean it's not like it was much of a decision anyway. The economy was going to eventually shut down regardless by people's own actions. You either shut it down preemptively, or watch it shut down when the hospitals can't take patients at all and people are dying in the streets like what happened in Iran and China. Eventually people will just hole themselves in regardless.

This is a really interesting.. this talks about "Problem, Reaction, Solution" and how Corona Virus is a model for the take over of the Global Technocracy... 

• H2O unpinned this topic