Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2020

George BM

13 hours ago, jaydreb said:

Where were they coming from?

My understanding is that the travel restrictions apply to foreigners from Europe, China, and South Korea.  American citizens and green card holders are allowed to return from those countries but must undergo screening and possible quarantine.  I hope this is actually taking place.    

I don’t believe there are restrictions from other countries but that may soon change.  I suspect that there will be a complete ban on all foreign and domestic travel sooner rather than later.  I expect all commercial flights to be grounded.

At today’s press conference Trump said that he would like to keep the airlines flying so that necessary travel can take place.  

He also said that they are talking with Congress about getting checks out to all Americans as well as small businesses.  Did not discuss specific amounts but said that the plan is for it to happen immediately (i.e., in the next week or two).

Tax payments to IRS can also be deferred for up to 3 months.   

6 hours ago, jaydreb said:

Sorry to hear.  A glimmer of hope is that sore throat is rarely a symptom.  

I was feeling a little bit better this afternoon so I went to whole foods for lunch.  Their hot bar is the best!  I love those wings :)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jaydreb said:

At today’s press conference Trump said that he would like to keep the airlines flying so that necessary travel can take place.  

He also said that they are talking with Congress about getting checks out to all Americans as well as small businesses.  Did not discuss specific amounts but said that the plan is for it to happen immediately (i.e., in the next week or two).

Tax payments to IRS can also be deferred for up to 3 months.   

Go on Take the money and run....

Pretty surprised by the response from the VA governor.  Everything stays open but limit to 10 people?  What does that even mean.  I know its only a matter of time before everything gets shutdown but that was a weird press release.

By the way, I was on the news (Wbal) last night...I was getting take out at Jimmys Seafood and WBAL pulls up as Im walking out and they asked to interview me.  They aired about a 4 second clip where I said my gf went to the grocery store earlier and we'll just have to hunker down for a while...problem is, they got me confused with the pizza delivery driver they interviewed after me! So my famous name is Wayne Harle (my name is Chris)

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Pretty surprised by the response from the VA governor.  Everything stays open but limit to 10 people?  What does that even mean.  I know its only a matter of time before everything gets shutdown but that was a weird press release.

They cant shut down grocery stores.  Right now they are targeting all the fun places.  Whole Foods hot bar is really open.. I am not kidding around there.  

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, PDIII said:

They cant shut down grocery stores.  Right now they are targeting all the fun places.  Whole Foods hot bar is really open.. I am not kidding around there.  

Well yeah of course not.  I meant mostly restaurants, bars, ect. that are staying open but enforcing the 10 person limit.  Good luck.

At some point people are going to get restless and want to get back to their lives Coronavirus or not.  Right now most people are scared (perhaps rightly so).  We all have an appetite for risk.  We drive on highways knowing full well traffic fatalities happen at the rate of close to 100 per day. We send kids to school and Go to work knowing full well that 20000-30000 people die from the flu every flu season.  We wake up every morning knowing we might get cancer no matter what we do or don’t do (and many do things that we know lead to cancer but they risk it anyway) We go to bars and restaurants and buffets and fly on airplanes etc knowing full well their are germs everywhere in these places.  My point is one day soon people are going to wake up and say “i might get Coronavirus, but i still want to live my life”.  My bet is that happens sooner than people are willing to consider right now.  The caveat are the numbers we are all tracking.  If we see 100,000 deaths in the US by the end of March, the risk calculus changes (again, rightly so).  But if March comes and goes and we have 1000 deaths or less in the US.  People will start demanding their lives back.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

At some point people are going to get restless and want to get back to their lives Coronavirus or not.  Right now most people are scared (perhaps rightly so).  We all have an appetite for risk.  We drive on highways knowing full well traffic fatalities happen at the rate of close to 100 per day. We send kids to school and Go to work knowing full well that 20000-30000 people die from the flu every flu season.  We wake up every morning knowing we might get cancer no matter what we do or don’t do (and many do things that we know lead to cancer but they risk it anyway) We go to bars and restaurants and buffets and fly on airplanes etc knowing full well their are germs everywhere in these places.  My point is one day soon people are going to wake up and say “i might get Coronavirus, but i still want to live my life”.  My bet is that happens sooner than people are willing to consider right now.  The caveat are the numbers we are all tracking.  If we see 100,000 deaths in the US by the end of March, the risk calculus changes (again, rightly so).  But if March comes and goes and we have 1000 deaths or less in the US.  People will start demanding their lives back.

The problem is is that if the curve flattens.. people will think it was because of social distancing.. and then we set a very bad precedence for future pandemics.

2 minutes ago, PDIII said:

The problem is is that if the curve flattens.. people will think it was because of social distancing.. and then we set a very bad precedence for future pandemics.

Agreed.  But inherently we already know that social distancing reduces risks of getting any virus.  Some will choose to maintain there distance from people, but many will choose to return to normal life.  If the government decides to punish those that want to return to normal life, i do not believe that ends well for anybody.  Right now people are on board with the measures being taken in the short term.  Dire projections will only scare people for so long.  If (as i predict and hope and pray) that the projections are overblown, fear will subside and if the authorities aren’t nimble in responding to subsiding fear, anger will be the next emotion.

1 hour ago, PDIII said:

If the curve flattens it WILL be because of social distancing.  That’s the whole idea behind what we’re doing. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Total worldwide cases are at 198,895, and 7,970 deaths worldwide. Just 30 away from 8,000 and I believe we should hit that in the next couple hours. We will probably be at 200,000 worldwide confirmed cases before midnight.

Before midnight or before 9pm?

My position doesn't have the availability to telework. Just trying to avoid contact as much as possible and wearing gloves at work when having to interact with the public. 

I was surprised the roads were pretty busy this morning going to work. Schools being closed did lessen some traffic in areas that I travel by schools. 

20 hours ago, jaydreb said:

My understanding is that the travel restrictions apply to foreigners from Europe, China, and South Korea.  American citizens and green card holders are allowed to return from those countries but must undergo screening and possible quarantine.  I hope this is actually taking place.    

I don’t believe there are restrictions from other countries but that may soon change.  I suspect that there will be a complete ban on all foreign and domestic travel sooner rather than later.  I expect all commercial flights to be grounded.

20 hours ago, jaydreb said:

Europe. i can’t remember where exactly.   

7 hours ago, LP08 said:

It’s such a bad response by him and completely confusing.  Just go all in like other states are doing.

• Like 3

It’s such a bad response by him and completely confusing.  Just go all in like other states are doing.

it put enough pressure out there for me to be officially done with in-person classes this semester... shocked they didn’t pull the plug earlier.

Truly saddening. It’s a necessary sacrifice, but you only have so many years of college. Thankfully I really like my family. Based on some of the more dire projections for the virus I’ve read, who even knows if I’ll be back in the fall.
  • Like 1

Total worldwide cases are at 198,895, and 7,970 deaths worldwide. Just 30 away from 8,000 and I believe we should hit that in the next couple hours. We will probably be at 200,000 worldwide confirmed cases before midnight.
Those numbers are not impressive especially if you remove china and Italy from equation
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ji said:
12 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

Those numbers are not impressive especially if you remove china and Italy from equation

They are also not accurate due to the the lack of testing and inability to obtain the real numbers, esp in this country. Probably multiply it by 10.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

They keep moving the goalposts on social distancing- first it was weeks, then months... now I see experts saying it could take a year or more? The economy can’t handle that. Neither can humans. I don’t think officials realize the devastating impact this will have on the millions of people with mental health disorders. Isolation has been shown to increase health issues and mortality in and of itself...

I don’t claim to have a solution to any of this, but the current plan is NOT going to work, that is all. Come up with something better.

9 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

They keep moving the goalposts on social distancing- first it was weeks, then months... now I see experts saying it could take a year or more? The economy can’t handle that. Neither can humans. I don’t think officials realize the devastating impact this will have on the millions of people with mental health disorders. Isolation has been shown to increase health issues and mortality in and of itself...

I don’t claim to have a solution to any of this, but the current plan is NOT going to work, that is all. Come up with something better.

Who is “they”?  The current guidelines are for 2 weeks.  They’ve all but said that they will be extended and possibly made even stricter, but to my knowledge no one in an official position has said they will go on for a year.    I do suspect that this will last at least until the summer.  I doubt we will be sitting home a year from now.   

If it seems like they are moving the goal posts it’s because they are.   They are instituting the social distancing measures as a gradual process, rather than all at once, and it’s guided by the data and modeling.

We all wish there was some magical better plan, but this is the best we can do for now.  We need vaccines and anti-virals but that takes time.  

• H2O unpinned this topic