Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2020

George BM

7 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

This whole work from home thing....

I have a business that employs 24 people. 24 people that depend on having a place to work every day in order to support their family.  I am currently struggling with, not just riding one thin line...but riding several at the same time. 

I cant pour concrete from home. I cant excavate from home. I cant give quotes from home. I cant enter a closed permit office. 

Trying to protect the office staff...trying to protect our service crews that have customer contact multiple times daily, trying to protect our customers, trying to protect our construction crews...it's all freaking daunting. 

The retraction in revenues is absolutely impossible to predict.  What else do I do but prepare for a worse-case scenario?  Example - Travel restrictions for non essential personnel lasting greater than 4 weeks.  Those preparations and changes that will protect us personally from a worst-case scenario will greatly impact a very minor segment of the local population.  But, I am just one hole in the wall business...This will have a long-term effect on our economy and general way of life, IMO.  You cant just spring back from 8+ weeks of America "down-time."  

I truly hope  I am wrong.  If it's anything like my snowfall prediction...hey, we'll be in good shape!  Just venting to someone other than my wife.... 

No doubt this will be tough on you and your crew. Just wondering though, there’s no restriction on you working, is there?

7 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

I have a business that employs 24 people. 24 people that depend on having a place to work every day in order to support their family.  I am currently struggling with, not just riding one thin line...but riding several at the same time. 

I cant pour concrete from home. I cant excavate from home. I cant give quotes from home. I cant enter a closed permit office. 

Trying to protect the office staff...trying to protect our service crews that have customer contact multiple times daily, trying to protect our customers, trying to protect our construction crews...it's all freaking daunting. 

The retraction in revenues is absolutely impossible to predict.  What else do I do but prepare for a worse-case scenario?  Example - Travel restrictions for non essential personnel lasting greater than 4 weeks.  Those preparations and changes that will protect us personally from a worst-case scenario will greatly impact a very minor segment of the local population.  But, I am just one hole in the wall business...This will have a long-term effect on our economy and general way of life, IMO.  You cant just spring back from 8+ weeks of America "down-time."  

I truly hope  I am wrong.  If it's anything like my snowfall prediction...hey, we'll be in good shape!  Just venting to someone other than my wife.... 

auto repair here. we are and have to be very close to our customers as we need to get in their disgusting cars that are filth and look like hoarders live in them, un clean .

and my employees can’t fix cars from home.  also same boat i’m on a tight rope of over taxed being in moco.  trying to keep my employees employed.  

most wont and don’t understand.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Beyond frustrating. No economic stimulus seems to help — the market knows what’s coming. Just gonna have to ride it out and watch it hit the floor.

Tomorrow will be a new level of ugly.  Double Black Monday.  

8 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Is this real? :yikes: 

Hopefully no one goes.  I’m actually pretty surprised that the country has responded as well as it has with the shutdowns, etc.  It will be interesting to see how long it can last though.  But every little bit counts.  

The most disappointing part to me is that there may be a lot of people that agree with the statement and fill the places. Hopefully I’m wrong.

I’ve definitely seen people arguing the constitutionality of these prohibitions online. People apparently haven’t taken enough Constitutional Law to know that every right can be limited... the First Amendment included.

Not gonna win a Freedom of Assembly case during a national emergency.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, nj2va said:

I find myself watching a random Big 12 championship game on ESPNU from a few years ago.  

I watched the 2006 Big East Championship yesterday.  That Gerry McNamara run was something special.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, poolz1 said:

Small Business Assistance (SBA) loans are going to be approved for this event.  Reach out to your local OEM / government and inquire about them.  Typically they are small to zero interest and designed to quickly inject capital into small businesses to plug the gap.  DM me if you experience difficulty in doing this and I will help where I can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s times like this that this country needs come together and act act as one to flatten the curve of this thing. But I have no expectations of that happening.  We need to shut down everything as soon as possible. Like yesterday really.   And we need to listen  to the scientists and not the politicians .     Time will tell whether we’re Italy or South Korea .     And everyone of you is going to have a hand in that outcome . .think about that.     do what you can do now to flatten the curve.   Besides,  anything worth really having in life is worth sacrificing for. And if we just think about ourselves and not the  overall country, i fear we will be Italy.    We can overcome this. With common sense measures. But we need to do it unified acting as one.

• Like 3

Been in Williamsburg since Friday for my FIL’s funeral. This is a hotspot area for VA. Funeral had a ton of elderly. All I could think of was it just takes one person and most of these people could not make it.  

But we had to try and keep going on with our lives as best we can even with this grim task of honoring my FIL. For so many this will have lasting impacts. I hope all of you can stay away from it and not get it. 

we might not know what the future does hold in the coming months but just know that next winter I will have 33 and rain 

10 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

No doubt this will be tough on you and your crew. Just wondering though, there’s no restriction on you working, is there?

Sorry...wrote a whole response last night and obviously didnt hit submit.  Definitely, no restrictions.  And, it is a business that can continue to operate while keeping the whole social distancing thing intact. 

8 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Sorry...wrote a whole response last night and obviously didnt hit submit.  Definitely, no restrictions.  And, it is a business that can continue to operate while keeping the whole social distancing thing intact. 

No worries. Hopefully you and your crew continue to get work, especially since I’d assume most of your work is likely outdoors.

But there’s no doubt that this is going to be incredibly hard on the majority of Americans. If nothing else, it’s made me appreciate even more that in spite of our differences around the globe, it’s a remarkably small world.

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Been in Williamsburg since Friday for my FIL’s funeral. This is a hotspot area for VA. Funeral had a ton of elderly. All I could think of was it just takes one person and most of these people could not make it.  

But we had to try and keep going on with our lives as best we can even with this grim task of honoring my FIL. For so many this will have lasting impacts. I hope all of you can stay away from it and not get it. 

we might not know what the future does hold in the coming months but just know that next winter I will have 33 and rain 

Very sorry for your loss.  Prayers for peace and comfort for your family.

And 33F and rain is a pipe dream.  Global warming and all..... 37F and rain now.

Just so everyone is aware, if they get away with shutting down businesses over the coronavirus, they will do it again for different reasons or no reason at all. 

Nope, probably not! This is a national emergency. Rights and freedoms are greater limited in these times. There is centuries-old precedent to support such measures.

Shutting down large gatherings in a time of a pandemic... really a fantastic idea. Let’s not go straight to conspiracy.
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

You still have takeout and delivery services.  That is not changing.

The perk of these trips is suppliers tend to lavish us with great dining experiences.  Not the same as takeout or delivery.  Oh well.  I feel badly for all the staffs of these places that now have impacted incomes.  Talking to some last night who had no idea what was in store for them.

3 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

The perk of these trips is suppliers tend to lavish us with great dining experiences.  Not the same as takeout or delivery.  Oh well.  I feel badly for all the staffs of these places that now have impacted incomes.  Talking to some last night who had no idea what was in store for them.

It just sucks in America more for those who go out a lot.  My wife and I almost never eat out for financial reasons and we typically keep to ourselves (gardening, fishing, hiking, etc.) so this doesn't affect us too much.  Great opportunity for home improvement projects though!

Maryland Governor Hogan has ordered all bars and restaurants closed as of 5pm

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-covid-19-news-and-live-updates-120246923.html

Maryland joins shutdown

Gov. Larry Hogan announced Monday morning that effective at 5. p.m. they were closing all bars, restaurants, movie theaters and gyms statewide, with exceptions allowed for drive throughs, in addition to prohibiting all social gatherings statewide. There are currently 37 coronavirus cases in the state. Hogan said meals would be provided to school children, that they were actively considering what to do with next month's presidential primary and they were looking to add an 6,000 more hospital beds in preparation.

"We need to act now before it’s too late," said the governor.

https://www.wusa9.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/maryland-coronavirus-live-updates/65-5b92d0f6-0a77-4409-8961-31e527f3bb08

WASHINGTON — In an unprecedented move, Gov. Larry Hogan has shut down all Maryland bars, restaurants, movie theaters and gyms effective at 5 p.m. Monday. Drive-thru, carryout, take-out, and food delivery will be available.

Gov. Hogan's decision to shut down businesses is in an effort to limit day to day interactions and to encourage social distancing. The state will prohibit social events of over 50 people and measures will be strictly enforced with the help of 250 Maryland State troopers ready for deployment, Hogan said. This includes the closures of community, religious, recreational, and sports gathering events.

"We can't afford to wait to take actions," Hogan said. "If we do not take them today it will be too late."

The governor has already activated 400 Army and Air National Guard members, with a total of 1,000 National Guards activated and 1,200 members ready to be activated.

Hogan also signed an Executive Order to conduct the assessment to open closed hospitals and to provide 6,000 additional beds to meet the demand for the potential of hospital overcrowding.  A force of 5,000 Maryland Medical Reserve Corps members will be activated. Any practitioner with a valid license from another state or an expired Maryland license will be able to practice during this time, Hogan said.

"We know many individuals will be out of work and state and federal leaders are working to figure it out," Hogan said.

During the State of Emergency, electrical, gas, water, cable, and telephone companies are prohibited from issuing late fees to Maryland residents. Evictions of any tenants are also prohibited. Grocery stores, pharmacies, and essential stores must remain open, Hogan said. 

The State will provide three meals a day and a snack to students who need it while schools are closed. There are 138 distribution centers open.

As of Monday, Maryland has a shortage of testing kits and the chemicals used in the lab to process the coronavirus tests, according to a state official.

2 hours ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Just so everyone is aware, if they get away with shutting down businesses over the coronavirus, they will do it again for different reasons or no reason at all. 

I'm going to nip this shit now. I get what we all need to discuss whats going and i get it, but these type of posts will be deleted. no questions asked. it does nothing to help. 

there are other places that you can go spread theories and such, and it is not here. 

thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• H2O unpinned this topic