Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2020

George BM

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Actually, this is a great idea. The threat will dissipate a few hours after the thread opens up. Miracle cure at 12z and back to tracking the SE ridge at 18z? :lol: 

confluence(inebriation) will cause us to shear out and only the weed heads will be up for the 0z because they have the munchies

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yeoman said:

I don't understand the run on TP.. this virus doesn't give you the shits as far as I know.. even if you run out, that's what showers and leaves are for

Diarrhea is one of the symptoms, although not everyone experiences it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

To add context to this, my mom lives in a county where there’s been multiple coronavirus cases and a death. 

Today she needed to go to the emergency room. This was at 4pm today, ambulance and all, under a physician’s order.

The local hospital is a madhouse. It’s 11pm and she still doesn’t have a room. Now imagine dozens of coronavirus patients needing care at the same time in rural areas. Imagine hundreds or thousands in urban understaffed hospitals.

Us young and healthy folks have to stop looking at it from our narrow personalized perspective.

Hey, a little late seeing this, but will echo what some others have said...hope your mom is OK and stays safe!  And you take care as well!

And you're absolutely correct about not looking at things from a narrow perspective or that "most" people will likely just have minor effects.  Have you seen the graphic of COVID-19 deaths by age group?  It's quite eye-opening, and reveals a lot more than the single average value that's typically reported.  The numbers increase dramatically from age ~60+, even more so than what the normal flu does.  That is primarily why many of these preventive measures are necessary.

1 hour ago, Baltimorewx said:

We may as well just create a Corona Virus thread lol...someone with better luck than me, create it and bring it home

Hell, just put it in the Medium Range discussion thread!  After the disaster that thread turned into this winter, might as well discuss Corona virus there at this point!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fourseasons said:

Diarrhea is one of the symptoms, although not everyone experiences it.

Right, its seen in 4% of victims. In reality is mindless panic buying from people following the herd, leading to unnecessary shortages for people which actually need it (like me after a bucket of wings)

• Like 2

My law firm closed today. It is likely we will be closed for another two - three weeks but that isn't confirmed. All state court jury trials - civil and criminal are canceled through April 3  These are appropriate moves to try and keep the curve from being too steep. It's a pain for me to work from home, but, really, the least I can do to try and stay healthy and keep those around me healthy. Including my mother who is high risk to die if she gets this at her age and with her co-morbidities. 

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

My law firm closed today. It is likely we will be closed for another two - three weeks but that isn't confirmed. All state court jury trials - civil and criminal are canceled through April 3  These are appropriate moves to try and keep the curve from being too steep. It's a pain for me to work from home, but, really, the least I can do to try and stay healthy and keep those around me healthy. Including my mother who is high risk to die if she gets this at her age and with her co-morbidities. 

Yeah my girlfriend works for Siemens and they told her to work from home remotely starting on Monday. Fortunately she has that luxury....I do not, but I dont see how my business can close unless the gov't forces it. I dont think the coronavirus is gonna stop diesel trucks from breaking down lol

54 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

It wasn't concentrated in a few weeks. The death rate was miniscule compared to this. How is this so hard to grasp?

While it could certainly end up being a higher death rate, no one can conclusively say until you have a firm handle on identifying all which have/had the virus in this country. We are nowhere near that point...

Be as cavalier as you want, I guess, but there's this from my industry (law firms/legal):

BREAKING: Davis Wright Staffer Dies After Leaving Work With Flu-Like Symptoms

A Davis Wright Tremaine LLP executive legal assistant who worked in Washington state and left work on Tuesday after reporting flu-like symptoms has died, the firm announced Friday, adding that it will close two of its offices in the state and a third location in Portland.

10 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Be as cavalier as you want, I guess, but there's this from my industry (law firms/legal):

BREAKING: Davis Wright Staffer Dies After Leaving Work With Flu-Like Symptoms

A Davis Wright Tremaine LLP executive legal assistant who worked in Washington state and left work on Tuesday after reporting flu-like symptoms has died, the firm announced Friday, adding that it will close two of its offices in the state and a third location in Portland.

You dont even know if he had covid19.  Might've died of a heart attack or car wreck.

58 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Even so, this is so easy. Look at what is happening in Lombardy. Look at what happened in Wuhan. Nothing near that happened anywhere during Swine Flu.

You're right,  for swine flu it was actually young healthy people dying.  Not to discount the value of older people in any way.

You're right,  for swine flu it was actually young healthy people dying.  Not to discount the value of older people in any way.

I’m not taking about the number of people dying (though ultimately, I am), it is the absolute overwhelming of hospitals. I think at this point it’s clear we are gonna agree to disagree though so I’ll drop it!

• H2O unpinned this topic