Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2020

George BM

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Already saw some splatty flakes today.

March > February.

I'm good.B)

Nice. If you’re ever in Baltimore, need to checkout Lighthouse Liquors. It’s a liquor store with a deli but also has 10 beers on draft, a bar and tables to sit down. It’s basically a liquor store you can just drink in all day if you want to lol. Crazy selection, they have everything imaginable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Nice. If you’re ever in Baltimore, need to checkout Lighthouse Liquors. It’s a liquor store with a deli but also has 10 beers on draft, a bar and tables to sit down. It’s basically a liquor store you can just drink in all day if you want to lol. Crazy selection, they have everything imaginable. 

I used to live there once upon a time. Used to hang out in Dundalk as a kid in the summer. Still go to the inner harbor a couple times a year. Used to go to the best crab house around, Costas Inn, over your way on North point Blvd quite often. Hard to justify making the trip now when I can go out and get Miles or Wye river crabs so close by. Cant beat eastern shore river crabs. Most of what Costas gets comes from the Gulf, which is necessary to support their high volume, year round business. They have it all going on though. I have seen the whole operation behind the scenes there and it is impressive.

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I used to live there once upon a time. Used to hang out in Dundalk as a kid in the summer. Still go to the inner harbor a couple times a year. Used to go to the best crab house around, Costas Inn, over your way on North point Blvd quite often. Hard to justify making the trip now when I can go out and get Miles or Wye river crabs so close by. Cant beat eastern shore river crabs. Most of what Costas gets comes from the Gulf, which is necessary to support their high volume, year round business. They have it all going on though. I have seen the whole operation behind the scenes there and it is impressive.

Nice...Costas is good but they're too pricey in my opinion...Lots of cheaper options that are just about as good.  But yeah check it out when you go to the Harbor, its on Boston St in Canton

• Like 1

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Nice...Costas is good but they're too pricey in my opinion...Lots of cheaper options that are just about as good.  But yeah check it out when you go to the Harbor, its on Boston St in Canton

If you want premium crabs you are gonna pay. I don't mind it because I have a crab outing maybe twice a year. I ain't messing with anything small. Too much work and no yield. I guess I am a crab snob lol. I will pay for the 8-10 inchers and enjoy the hell out of em. I go to a place west of St Michaels (past all the tourist traps) over  here and get Miles River monsters when they have em, for 60-80 a dozen. Well worth it.

And before anyone says "but smaller crabs are more full", LOL. NO.

A true number one, premium crab is a big hard shell crab and full of meat. Not a crappy paper shell that's "big" and empty. That is a number 2 or 3. We talkin' a big ass brown bottom, dirty, rusty crab.. The only ones I bother with.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

If you want premium crabs you are gonna pay. I don't mind it because I have a crab outing maybe twice a year. I ain't messing with anything small. Too much work and no yield. I guess I am a crab snob lol. I will pay for the 8-10 inchers and enjoy the hell out of em. I go to a place west of St Michaels (past all the tourist traps) over  here and get Miles River monsters when they have em, for 60-80 a dozen. Well worth it.

I’d rather go for medium or larges and just order an extra half dozen lol but that’s just me

6 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

I’d rather go for medium or larges and just order an extra half dozen lol but that’s just me

There is definitely a bang for the buck size crab. At Costas, I always did the extra large. All 6-7" and fat. That's what I liked most about that place- the consistency. All their crabs are categorized by weight and size. Never had a light crab, ever. Every other place I have gone I ended up sending at least a couple back for replacement because they were literally empty.

6 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

@losetoa6 and @showmethesnow should try this one if they haven't yet.

Pretty sure @mattie g and @nw baltimore wx, and probably @Scraff have. It has a lot of good things goin' on.

Totally not paying attention in here. What’s wrong with me!? I missed happy hour talk. Woot Stout. Tasty! Have had many times. And now I want crabs! At least my fries tonight had Old Bay on them. Close enough I suppose. :lol:

• Haha 1

Around DC. spring has sprung.

Daffodils in sunny spots are already out.  Small trees, brambles and other bushes started leafing last week, and now the star magnolias and tulip poplar trees are joining the party.

Usually the last cut is just after Halloween. The ground never froze more than a few days back in early December I think. I have Bermuda grass down here on the coast so it's still dormant but ready to pop. However the mixed in Rye and weeds have been growing all winter long.

14 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Usually the last cut is just after Halloween. The ground never froze more than a few days back in early December I think. I have Bermuda grass down here on the coast so it's still dormant but ready to pop. However the mixed in Rye and weeds have been growing all winter long.

That is a nice long grass growing season!

I'm a lawn freak and look forward to caring for it and all my landscaping every spring.  But my first full cut isn't until around May 1st with the last cut in early October.  I'm usually a bit burnt out by October, so it works out well.  Not sure I'd be such a die hard if my season was a few months longer every year.

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

When do you lowlanders start mowing your lawns?

Everything is early this year, but mostly chickweed and some other weeds in my case. Grass is still dormant. I probably wont mow until the very end of the month. I am in the woods out in the hinterlands so that usually puts me behind the urban folks with the extra added warmth there.

1 hour ago, Stormpc said:

I mow into early Dec just to mulch the leaves. Grass is pretty much done here usually by mid to late October. I normally don't mow in the Spring until mid April, but it may be a couple weeks early this year.

@C.A.P.E. @losetoa6

Got a chance to try a few stouts while I was up at Mohegan Sun Pocono. Place called the Rustic Kitchen which had 6 to choose from, most of which I was not familiar with. An aside but the food was great here and reasonably priced.

Starter was the Great Lakes Blackout at 9.9% and a price tag of $8.00. This is the first time I have tried it and found it to be a pretty good beer. I am guessing you both have tried this one because I vaguely remember some comments on it.

stout1.thumb.gif.0c5909e894a6e024e0b12a9fb699533a.gif

The second beer I had was the Rusty Rail Brewing, Luminous White Chocolate & Macadamia Golden Stout with 8% alcohol and a price tag of $9. Had high expectations but needless to say it was a major disappointment. Not sure how they were even calling it a stout. Waitress tried a shot of it as well and she wasn't impressed either. She offered to exchange it out with another and I wish I had because my objective of trying all 6 stouts wasn't looking too good considering I already had a decent buzz from the first one. (considering 15-20 years ago I could drink anyone under the table it is kind of disheartening realizing that I am now a light weight :( )

stout2.thumb.gif.47b18f17d3b52e3cc78fa8ed43db77fb.gif

The last beer I had was a Stone Xocoveza Hot Chocolate stout with 8.1% and a price tag of $8. It was a decent enough beer with a somewhat unique taste. Ingredients included coffee, Pasilla peppers, vanilla and nutmeg. Not sure I would spend 8$ on it again but I wouldn't refuse 1 if it was given to me.

stout3.thumb.gif.8e6922eb50741033f09ec33e307889f3.gif

Tell you what, I had a pretty good buzz going at that point. Kept looking at the other stouts but common sense kicked in. And before you tally up the costs of the 3 beers ($23) and decide I am somewhat bluffing about being a cheap SOB... I went during Happy Hour where drinks were half price as well as appetizers. Add in a $15 dollar food voucher and I paid very little for my food and drink. Of course my wife had to ruin my frugal tendencies by ordering a $31 dollar meal and $12 drink that wasn't included in the Happy Hour. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• H2O unpinned this topic