• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2020

George BM

The reports of new cases of positive tests are newsworthy in that it is indicator that the virus is spreading. On the surface its not a big deal when there is a report of one new case now in the state of(fill in the blank). Ofc if there is now one person there who has it, there are likely many others walking around infected but not showing symptoms yet. The lack of available test kits is a major issue and really inexcusable.

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

The reports of new cases of positive tests are newsworthy in that it is indicator that the virus is spreading. On the surface its not a big deal when there is a report of one new case now in the state of(fill in the blank). Ofc if there is now one person there who has it, there are likely many others walking around infected but not showing symptoms yet. The lack of available test kits is a major issue and really inexcusable.

It’s a difficult issue because knowing where it’s spread is useful. But the running minute by minute updates to the number is more spreading panic than informing imo. I am seeing it at work and with family who are reacting to every update even if it’s just “2 more people report positive”. That doesn’t really change the equation. Frankly this is likely widespread already we just don’t know it because of a lack of testing. It’s not so much the reporting itself that’s the issue as much as people misinterpreting the information. But I don’t know how you account for “stupid”. I just know I see people over reacting to these constant non stop “updates” that don’t really say anything that changes the equation imo.  

I will say this...during Super Tuesday coverage I did have the thought that “while this is a legit threat it’s abviouslt not a true emergency YET” because for 24 hours it totally disappeared for non stop political coverage.   There was no break away coverage or hourly updates on the emergency...it just disappeared from the news when they had something else to talk about. 

I really hope the idiots on the other end of the spectrum who aren’t taking this seriously enough and think it’s some kind of contrived thing or conspiracy don’t use what I’m saying because I’m not there either. This is a real issue with the potential to get bad.  I’m just seeing a lot of extreme reactions on both sides.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Or might not present any noticeable symptoms at all, will fight off the virus, and will be perfectly healthy when their immune system has done its job.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Imagine if the seasonal flu carried this much panic and paranoia. People would never leave their houses.

the MUCH deadlier and infectious seasonal flu*

Fixed...

It's the new kid on the block though, so it's getting all the attention right now. There's a good possibility of people not spreading the flu as much though, because of the new guy. So that's good...

22 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

That's just insane.

They havent said anything too wild but ya know how Berk is and Pann is just being very vauge all the time with the snow train stuff..so he'll say a chance of snow and obviously people take that and run. He needs to be more specific and say flurries/snow showers/non accumulating snow etc but hes been a hype master this year

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

So...I was just asked here at work what's going on with the weather. I haven't been paying attention to the local news - are they playing up tonight like it's a thing?

Ava was not making into something this morning when she was on TV, she mentioned it could happen but temps would be above 32 so it wouldn't be much nor would it accumulate. 

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

If you just need to guzzle down an ice cold beer on a hot summer day, that's what miller lite is for.

this. a 30 of miller is our usual go-to when we have a group coming over to enjoy the pool. sure we tell them to bring their own too, but its always nice to just to have extras around and a cheap drunk is my favorite. 

Now that western countries are getting caught up with testing protocols (South Korea has been in the forefront of proactive testing and their mortality rate is barely 0.5%), you'll see a lot more cases, yet the same amount of deaths, significantly dropping the mortality rate to a more seasonal flu-like level.  Heck, when you exclude the nursing home in Washington (which has had documented problems in the past dealing with flu outbreaks there), the death rate here is 0.4%, and we have barely even started testing anyone.

17 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The data so far doesn’t show that. I believe as of late February the transmission rate was almost twice the flu and the latest mortality rate was 3.4% according to the WHO, though its likely lower (probably between 1-2%) than that because of all the unknown cases. The seasonal flu tends to be around .1%. 

.1% for the U.S....

~ 5 million cases worldwide for the flu per year. ~500,000 deaths worldwide per year (low of about 290,000.)   *pulls out calculator*

I've gotten the flu a couple times as an adult, though only once since I started getting the flu shot (no quotes) every year for at least the last ten years. The last time was this year, after a long work trip during which I was shaking hands with everyone and their mother and getting very little (drunken) sleep each night. I credit the flu shot (no quotes) for helping me recover from it much more quickly (2.5 days or so) than I likely would have otherwise - but the worst of it really sucked.

I've gotten plenty of bad colds and sinus infections and such, but only got the flu this one time despite it being a very contagious illness and my having kids. I wonder why...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Ava was not making into something this morning when she was on TV, she mentioned it could happen but temps would be above 32 so it wouldn't be much nor would it accumulate. 

this. a 30 of miller is our usual go-to when we have a group coming over to enjoy the pool. sure we tell them to bring their own too, but its always nice to just to have extras around and a cheap drunk is my favorite. 

keep some dfh sea quench around for summer pool drinking

• H2O unpinned this topic