Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2020

George BM

35 minutes ago, mappy said:

i know, thats why i am not commenting on those posts. 

mersky needs to stop trolling too, he's already been warned in another subforum for doing as much. and to be fair, he started yesterday with this shovel post to you. please don't think i didn't notice. 

but i like you, and that i know you are more receptive to this than he would ever be. 

You are 100% right. Just because he is being a clown doesn’t excuse me doing it. I just wanted to make sure people knew my posts to other people were in good faith and not trolling.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

You are 100% right. Just because he is being a clown doesn’t excuse me doing it. I just wanted to make sure people knew my posts to other people were in good faith and not trolling.  

you're good, friend. 

The amount of penalties the caps are taking is rediculous.

They were basically a man down the last 6 minutes of regulation.

Reardon seems like a good guy but come on. He needs to go. To me this is on the coach. Players have to take responsiblity to though. 

If this was football and the skins were commiting 10 or 12 penalties a game we would be killing the coach.

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Likely been here for awhile, frankly.

On average 105 people die every day in the us in auto accidents. This year at least 16,000 have died from the flu virus. In 2017, over 5,000 people died in the us from choking.

We haven’t closed businesses, schools, sporting events, etc because we are afraid to drive. We haven’t quarantined ourselves in our homes because of flu. We don’t stop eating from fear of choking.

You could go on and on with stats, but for the point is clear.

It’s prudent to take precautions but it’s irrational to make this more than it is. Of course we live in the time of sensationalism so ....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Caps fans, I need some help. Was that a cross check that put the Rangers up by a goal? Looked like a bad call. But anyway, we got a late goal to go to OT.

8 minor penalties. The caps didnt deserve to win. They havent deserved to win much the last couple of months.

8 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I agree with that. In situations like this, oftentimes the misinformation and rumors make things far worse than the actual issue we’re trying to address. Fortunately, the mortality rate for this has not been nearly as high as some other short-lived outbreaks we’ve seen the last decade or so.

That said, I think pandemics require special attention and vigilance if for no other reason than their ability to quickly spread and the limitations to containment. You don’t know what you will get, and our beliefs on a virus on day 100 isn’t always the same a year later when you learn more about transmission and mortality.

A quickly spreading virus shouldn’t need to be Ebola to wake people up. Unfortunately, with the way information is disseminated these days people either think something isn’t a big deal at all or an existential threat. Most things are in the middle. While I might get something akin to a cold and it’s barely a blip on my medical history, I could go to a nursing home to visit a grandparent or go to work and chat up a coworker with some underlying medical issue and then it’s a far more serious situation. 

An estimated 60 million Americans got swine flu. Just a third of that with a 1% mortality rate would kill a lot more than almost all of our worst “typical” flu seasons. 

(not saying you’re downplaying anything, just adding to the conversation)

I’m paying attention. I’ve seen this bug do a number to every country that was like “eh maybe we can ignore this” and it’s dumb not to be prepared at least.

13 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I’m paying attention. I’ve seen this bug do a number to every country that was like “eh maybe we can ignore this” and it’s dumb not to be prepared at least.

I’m not dismissing the possible severity of this but I do think hearing every time one person tests positive in a country of over 300 million isn’t helpful. This could get very bad but we don’t know and right now it’s not. But hearing every hour how one more person tested positive creates the illusion it is.  I’m worried about this but some people are freaking out too much over the way it’s being covered. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah it’s probably not helpful but it’s moving very quickly, especially in some other countries. Not sure how you could report it when so many people want information. Iran and Italy seem particularly hard hit. 

I’m not on the side that this is no big deal or no worse than the flu but I don’t think reporting every case is the best way to inform about the severity.  We will know when it is “bad” when we see societal impacts.  People actually severely ill.  Spikes in hospitalizations and deaths.  And that may come.  But reporting that a few more people in the whole country tested positive every hour doesn’t tell us much we don’t alreasy know and spreads fear.  

11 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

On average 105 people die every day in the us in auto accidents. This year at least 16,000 have died from the flu virus. In 2017, over 5,000 people died in the us from choking.

We haven’t closed businesses, schools, sporting events, etc because we are afraid to drive. We haven’t quarantined ourselves in our homes because of flu. We don’t stop eating from fear of choking.

You could go on and on with stats, but for the point is clear.

It’s prudent to take precautions but it’s irrational to make this more than it is. Of course we live in the time of sensationalism so ....

If you're over 60 and/or have bad pre existing conditions then theres reason to worry and perhaps really change one's lifestyle. But otherwise, no. Its not much different than the flu for young people.  Wash your hands, dont be a complete slob and drink a couple Coronas a day and we'll all be fine

One thing to note is that there could be plenty of people who have or have contracted coronavirus, but haven't been sick enough to have to go to the doctor. The informational effect of this is twofold:

1. The virus is more widespread than is currently reported
  2. The virus isn't nearly as deadly as is feared based on the currently reported mortality rates

People need to calm the F down. I wish the government could get its sh*t together to help calm fears and to put forth a united and meaningful response, but we all know that's not happening/won't happen, nor will the media lessen the sensationalism that drives clicks. People just need to do it on their own, but sadly many people can't do that.

Basically, stock up on water and beer and bread and canned goods now because society will cease to function in about 30 days because of the stupidity of people.

• Like 1

• H2O unpinned this topic