Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2020

George BM

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Well....in 1632 the colony of Maryland was granted to Sir George Calvert.  in 1781 MD was the 7th State to ratify the Articles of Confederation.  In 1788 MD also became the 7th State the ratify the Constitution and officially join the United States of America.  Baltimore was one of the major port cities of America and crucial to the early economic success of the State.  By the onset of the Civil War, due to a changing economy and labor movements, about half of the African American population in MD was already freed and the institution was being phased out and this played a part, along with political and military pressure(occupation), in Maryland not joining the confederacy.  The steel and rail industry continued to be a major economic boon to the Baltimore region in the late 1800s and a driving force of Maryland's political and economic power.  The great migration in the 1900s greatly influenced the demographics and society of Baltimore.  An influx of African American workers from the deep south injected a more  "southern" feel to the culture of Baltimore while providing the steel, shipping, and rail industries with needed workers to drive economic growth.  Unfortunately the practice of white flight and red lining (see racist ass-clowns)  in response to the great migration, combined with after effects of the great depression, which some communities would never recover from, set up a cycle of generational poverty the Baltimore area is still struggling with today.  Despite that fact the Baltimore area remains the dominant economic force of Maryland, despite the resentment of some rural regions (see bumbleF*#%) of the State.  This divide has become the driving force of politics in Maryland in recent decades.  

Hope that helps 

Thanks but I already knew it was a screwed up place.:lol:

10 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

What has happened to Md?

They cant shoot, and play inconsistent, generally soft defense. It had been overlooked because they were lucking out and managing to win ugly. That shit catches up with you eventually. I don't see a fix here. They are what they appear to be. They will make the tourney and be a quick out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

They cant shoot, and play inconsistent, generally soft defense. It had been overlooked because they were lucking out and managing to win ugly. That shit catches up with you eventually. I don't see a fix here. They are what the appear to be. They will make the tourney and be a quick out.

As usual we have another Turgeon team limping into the tourney and fading down the stretch. I don't think he is as bad of a coach as a lot of people do but he certainly is no motivator like Gary. He played under Larry Brown and has had success at all his stops. He knows the game but as of this point in his career his teams no matter how talented have a ceiling. Don't forget Gary struggled to get his teams past the sweet 16 for many years. It was Gary's 12th season at Maryland and his 20 something year as a head coach before he made it to the final 4. I've never been impressed with Turgeon's assistant coaches.  Gary had Billy Hahn, Dave Dickerson and Jimmy Patsos. All three were head coaches at division 1 programs and they were with Gary for years. It was no coincidence that Gary's teams began to struggle when that coaching staff broke up.

I can't put the consistently slow starts on Turgeon alone. That's on the players too. If you cant get up for conference games in the ACC or Big 10 then something is wrong. You shouldn't need your coach to get you ready or motivated every night. Turgeons teams teams take forever to get into their offensive sets and it always seems like the shot clock is running out and they either force a long 3 or dont even get a shot off.  Turgeon often comes off whiny and sounds weak in his interviews and press conferences. His players as of late are showing that mentality on the floor as of late. Too many technicals and loss of composer the last 3 or 4 games. Cowan ends up on the floor after a lot of his drives to the basket and doesn't draw the foul anymore . The refs know his move now so unless he gets mauled they swallow the whistle. Everytime Morsel or Sticks gets a foul called on them they throw their hands up in the air in disbelief and cry to the refs. Sticks got a technical called on him in Minnesota because of this. The shooting is atrocious and Ayala has regressed significantly on offense. They're kack of depth also has caught up to them.

With that being said they have some really good players and the team is capable of playing solid defense. They have improved greatly in the turnover department. I really like how Morsel has developed. Scott and Wiggins can be a good enough supporting cast and both have an upside not yet achieved. Ayala has to start playing better. I see bad basketball masked by good shooting every night in college and the pros. There are so many bad long distance 3's put up in almost every game now the reason teams get away with it is probably because the opposing team take just as many that the bad shots equal out.There is so much luck in college basketball and the 3 point shot often is the difference in the modern game. The Terps have enough to make a sweet 16 run. There's a case to be made for a final 8 run but they have to get some confidence back. They did win 9 straight games against tough competition. Even if they beat Michigan on Sunday they're most likely going to get a tough 1st round game in the big 10 tournament. If they lose that first game they'll probably slip to a 4 seed and then getting past the first weekend becomes very difficult. Boy did this get long winded. lol.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

From a Penguins fan?

Yes.  Keeps Caps within striking distance for Metro crown.  Penguins 4 points back... win tomorrow brings my Penguins within 2 points.  If that happens, all 3 teams have 16 games left to play and are all within 2 points of each other 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, yoda said:

Yes.  Keeps Caps within striking distance for Metro crown.  Penguins 4 points back... win tomorrow brings my Penguins within 2 points.  If that happens, all 3 teams have 16 games left to play and are all within 2 points of each other 

Penguins are probably worse than Caps right now

• Like 1

22 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

That last post definitely belonged in banter. Sorry. The discussion with Maestro and ji was legit though. It is just a wag but it is my best guess ATT. It’s not worth much but the probabilities are what they are. I wasn’t making those posts JUST to troll Mersky...but if it bothers him that’s just an added bonus. 

21 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Overall I think the main thread stayed impressively on topic and functional this year given the train wreck that was winter.   There was some off topic fun but it never got in the way when there were legit pattern discussions going on.  I don’t mind some fun it was when people were actively trying to disrupt and discourage legit analysis that got annoying imo.  There was none of that this year.

That said she is right and some people want to discuss severe or the horrors of having to wear a jacket in April so we shouldn’t junk it up now either. 

Troll him here, in this thread. I like you but I will remove your posts if it continues in the main thread 

10 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I cancelled wxbell 2 weeks ago and have been barely following. If whatever fantasy threat there's talk about gets inside of 5 days I'll get back in the seat. Until then hiking, biking, and spring yard cleanup are on tap. 

10 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I cancelled a couple days ago. I only follow just for amusement and some subtle trolling lol. Nothing is going to happen. Pretty darn confident about that. I started working out in the yard last weekend with everything happening weeks ahead of schedule. Picked up my lawn fertilizer and eradicating chickweed from the mulch beds. Will probably put down some new mulch this weekend.

Considering the long range pattern being advertised at the time I somewhat considered canceling last month despite having most of February left. Decided to hold off until this month. No surprise here but I forgot about it until I just saw both your posts. Of course as I am about ready to cancel this morning what should pop up in my e-mail but a receipt from weatherbell for this months payment. :lol:

9 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Considering the long range pattern being advertised at the time I somewhat considered canceling last month despite having most of February left. Decided to hold off until this month. No surprise here but I forgot about it until I just saw both your posts. Of course as I am about ready to cancel this morning what should pop up in my e-mail but a receipt from weatherbell for this months payment. :lol:

Gotta watch those recurring payments. If you cancel they will issue a partial refund. Maybe.:whistle:

17 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Fortunately we have WB Weather Will to keep us informed- should something interesting pop up.

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Fortunately we have WB Weather Will to keep us informed- should something interesting pop up.

You all are too hard on him. We were all once overly exuberant weenies at one time as well. 

Don't worry though, give him a few years and he will be just as jaded as we are. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, showmethesnow said:

You all are too hard on him. We were all once overly exuberant weenies at one time as well. 

Don't worry though, give him a few years and he will be just as jaded as we are. :lol:

He is fine. I have chided him a time or 2. He gets much more grief about it from some others.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scraff said:

Caps are straight garbage these days. First half of the season was nothing but fools gold. Ah well. We have a Cup and still have Ovi. So I guess I won’t throw my “established in 1983” fandom away tonight. Maybe tomorrow though. :angry: 

Caps are just about a 500 team since Christmas. Thats a fairly large sample size. About a 3rd of the season. Their defense has eroded as the season went on. Their in the thick of things but certainly trending in the wrong way.

Kind of like UMD. Not expecting alot in the post season.

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Troll him here, in this thread. I like you but I will remove your posts if it continues in the main thread 

No prob. My posts to Ji and Maestro wrt probabilities are legit good faith posts though, just to be clear. It’s just a bonus that it irks Mersky. But the troll replies to him I will confine to banter. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

No prob. My posts to Ji and Maestro wrt probabilities are legit good faith posts though, just to be clear. It’s just a bonus that it irks Mersky. But the troll replies to him I will confine to banter. 

i know, thats why i am not commenting on those posts. 

mersky needs to stop trolling too, he's already been warned in another subforum for doing as much. and to be fair, he started yesterday with this shovel post to you. please don't think i didn't notice. 

but i like you, and that i know you are more receptive to this than he would ever be. 

• H2O unpinned this topic