Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Discobs 2020

George BM

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Graupel shower! Biggest event since January!

Seeing some wet splatty flakes mixed in with the rain here earlier was the most excitement I have seen since a few sleet pellets in early Jan. What an absolutely hideous winter this has been.

1 hour ago, Potvinsux said:

About 10-11" in Snowshoe.  Snow stopped around 1 am.  Had off and on heavy snow squalls throughout the day then constant snowfall from 3 pm.  Probably last snowfall of the season.  Never had snowpack for longer than 5 days this season, unfortunately.  Village cleanup had started.

https://bearcubsden.com/weather

picture-2020-03-07-08-50-50-.jpg

IMG_20200307_085152_compress10.jpg

We ended up with about 5.5-6 inches in Canaan. Interestingly though, it’s still snowing with about a mile of visibility and has been all morning.

2 minutes ago, Potvinsux said:

Nothing this weekend but next weekend is the Ballhooter concert.  Forecast looks warm and wet untill they close for the season in a few weeks.  Most of this will be gone in a week, unfortunately.  Some non-snowmaking capable trails never opened this season.

Wow. Presuming you have a winter place there and not full time. I was stunned that solid places within 3 miles of 7 Springs rentb for just $800 per month even in the winter.

cost of housing and commercial space is really low compared to DC even with the resorts do close by

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I have relatives that have  lived  in sw pa for generations and the general area around sw Pa, western, Md, parts of WV is one of the poorest areas in the country . Just no money out there besides some sporadic tourist locals .

Go down skyline drive and divert off to a small road and you will quickly see what no money really looks like. At least sw PA has some rafting and resorts and some things to draw in money 

11 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

Wow. Presuming you have a winter place there and not full time. I was stunned that solid places within 3 miles of 7 Springs rentb for just $800 per month even in the winter.

cost of housing and commercial space is really low compared to DC even with the resorts do close by

I do own a home here that I use and also rent to people via Airbnb, etc.  I work in Arlington, and although would love to live in Snowshoe, jobs are very low paying.  Average full time salary in Snowshoe is $25-35k a year.  Not many jobs available off the resort either.

1 hour ago, yoda said:

49 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

A little smoky in Columbia from that burn. Keep your trash to yourself virginia!

Gunny. I thought that the clouds had a bit of a smoky look to them... though I'm at the west end of Fairfax county with winds in the lower-levels of the atmosphere out of the west. So it may be my imagination after all... hopefully... there was an area of smoke rising from about a mile or a few NNW of the Costco in Sterling, VA as I was leaving there around 5:30pm...

61/12 at IAD currently. A 49F dewpoint depression and 14% relative humidity. Great day for outside burning.

• H2O unpinned this topic