Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Discobs 2020

George BM

• WxUSAF pinned this topic

Holy sh-t. Just had some of the strongest wind gusts I’ve experienced since we moved 4.5 years ago. Had to be above 50mph, maybe pushing 60-70. Just intense roar. Moved the basketball hoop that’s weighed down with a couple hundred pounds of sand. Completely came out of nowhere.

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Holy sh-t. Just had some of the strongest wind gusts I’ve experienced since we moved 4.5 years ago. Had to be above 50mph, maybe pushing 60-70. Just intense roar. Moved the basketball hoop that’s weighed down with a couple hundred pounds of sand. Completely came out of nowhere.

There has been discussion about this line over in the severe thread.    It's been going for a couple of hours now.

4 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Woke me up around 11:30. And yeah, the gusts were crazy. Almost went downstairs to move our dogs out of the family room because we have several big trees overhanging it.

I found it interesting how the gusts played out though. Normally you see the winds build into the bigger gusts. But what we saw were the bigger gusts were hitting without any warning. Kind of reminded me of what you see with a down burst. 

Saturday looks like it may be our last frost of the season based on the weather forecast. Still a chance of frosts later in march and the 1st week of April, but it shuts off after that. This year it may shut off within the next 2 weeks.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Might see some snow in the air in some places. Maybe a mulch coater lol.

If they get enough snow in the poconos or deep creek I’ll take the kids up to play and go sledding Saturday so I’m tracking for that reason. But for our area even if we get some banding outside elevation areas boundary temps are ugly. 

Taking my 5 year old to ski at Liberty Sunday. Should be nice and warm, perfect to learn at his age. 

• Like 1

@showmethesnow @losetoa6 @mappy I think for lower elevations it would be a struggle due to boundary temps regardless but for our area IF that inverted trough feature ends up over us we could get a surprise.  It's now getting close enough to consider it seriously.  ATT most guidance suggests it will end up northeast of us...but not by much.  The GGEM actually nails us with about .75 qpf from that.  It's 1-2 degrees too warm for accumulations but I doubt that...places with some elevation that end up under that band will likely get some accumulation given the very cold temps aloft.  All guidance is juicing up that band, and I believe that, there is a pretty strong mid level convergence zone along the trough between the coastal and NS system.  I do think it is likely a decent band of heavy precip develops somewhere in that zone, and while I favor northeast of us, we are close enough that it's not out of the question our area gets something.  One more slight adjustment west and we are into it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@showmethesnow @losetoa6 @mappy I think for lower elevations it would be a struggle due to boundary temps regardless but for our area IF that inverted trough feature ends up over us we could get a surprise.  It's now getting close enough to consider it seriously.  ATT most guidance suggests it will end up northeast of us...but not by much.  The GGEM actually nails us with about .75 qpf from that.  It's 1-2 degrees too warm for accumulations but I doubt that...places with some elevation that end up under that band will likely get some accumulation given the very cold temps aloft.  All guidance is juicing up that band, and I believe that, there is a pretty strong mid level convergence zone along the trough between the coastal and NS system.  I do think it is likely a decent band of heavy precip develops somewhere in that zone, and while I favor northeast of us, we are close enough that it's not out of the question our area gets something.  One more slight adjustment west and we are into it. 

I'm over winter, so it wont break my heart if it doesn't pan out. but i would be happy to see something wintry too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mappy said:

I'm over winter, so it wont break my heart if it doesn't pan out. but i would be happy to see something wintry too. 

That's kind of where I am.  I am not spending nearly as much time analyzing anything now as I would in mid winter.  But if we get something...great.  I don't think this is high probability for us.  These inverted trough setups are incredibly tricky to pin down, but sometimes they can deliver a nice surprise with a relatively narrow but heavy band of snow.  While it's not likely to be us...its close enough to mention its a possibility.  

• Like 2

One last point...there is likely to be two periods of potential, one Friday as the trough crosses the area and the moisture convergence along the trough from the coastal causes banding to develop along the trough axis (kind of a mini deform zone), and another early Saturday morning as the phasing takes place and the old dying NS feature pinwheels/retrogrades as the upper low passes to our east.  The first might have the better chance of heavier precip but the second coming at night and with even colder temps aloft might have the best chance at some light accumulations.  

47 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Agree ...looks like 2 shots . Did you see the latest Euro ..it appears it does at least a partial capture of the coastal low . NS a bit quicker and more robust . Actually hints at developing the possible mini deform band you spoke of Friday afternoon north of us . Interesting 

Spring time these type setups can sometimes really pop with more moisture generally available.  The trough feature is becoming more pronounced with some pretty healthy moisture convergence so it wouldn't shock me at all to see some pretty good banding set up.  Problem is surface temps suck and antecedent conditions suck...so this will be a situation where it's all or nothing...places that get under a heavy convective band could see a quick thump of snow and a couple inches while a few miles away is getting light rain.  

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Bolded ...definitely agree . Eps shifted way west with the coastal. Probably 100 miles or more.  Another 80 to 100 miles more and we are in the coastal deform action instead of Salisbury to OC :weenie:. This is most likely the closest it will get barring a massive model fail but it's a interesting overall setup . Actually a couple members deform the crap out of Southern Jersey with a foot lol.

I am not so sure we want to root for a quicker phased/bombing coastal.  We are pretty close in to expect enough of a shift to benefit at all from that, but that would interfere with the moisture transport into the inverted trough which is our most likely way to score here.  Maybe I am wrong and there is another January 2000 level bust incoming but short of that (and I am not sure how possible that kind of bust is anymore, despite Howard's posts guidance is SIGNIFICANTLY better now) our only chance is with the inverted trough and banding.  A bombing low with a better closed circulation would cut off the moisture feed to that.  

27 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Currently 29 . Just waiting on the first flakes ....or high cirrus :D

The inv trough looks to set up just to our east today. I’m becoming less optimistic about tonight. The faster phase and bomb off the coast is creating a more consolidated mid and upper level flow that Isn’t good.  The subsidence  outside the Ccb banding cuts off the moisture transport and the circulation around the bombing low interferes and hastens any banding left over from the dying primary and upper level system before it can rotate back into our area. These things are tricky so I’ll keep an eye on the banding but latest trends aren’t good imo. 

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Looks like the best shot to see some ss or light snow would be tonight after the inverted trough collapses south through  our general area and we could see remnants from that I believe. The 3k alludes to this. Mostly ambiance snow at best if it does but snow is snow 

We probably see flakes but I’m pessimistic on accumulations. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

The place to be for this storm might be a place like Chatham,Ma out on the Cape . Looks like a brief period of  moderate to heavy snow with high wind  tonight there .

Looks like it will be fun on Nantucket. 4-8" with winds gusting to 60.

• Weenie 1

• H2O unpinned this topic