• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

52 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

April 22nd. 2020. There is a lake effect band in the north towns ATM. What's next??? Pandemic, check, late season lake effect, check...gotta be locusts...

Yep, some of the heaviest snow of the season this morning on my commute from Clarence to west falls lol. Roads were covered and visibility low enough to slow it down to 30mph.

We had a couple of inches here.

Roads melted that first 1/2 inch, then froze, and then we have powder on top of that.

Plus the town trucks are nowhere to be seen.....maybe they took the plows off and have the trucks in summer mode already.

To top it all off we took the snows off our cars last week.

The ride down our hill and in to work was quite ....... stimulating.

• Like 2

I honestly didn't think legitimate lake effect snow was possible at the end of April, during the day.  But the band coming off Huron and extending through the Niagara Frontier right now is legitimate.  About an inch down here in the last 30 minutes.  

Wife and I were talking that if not for covid situation, we would do an "emergency" 1-2 week vacation down south to escape this nonsense.  Step one to likely moving to a warmer climate.  I love the snow in winter, but "springs" around here are getting tough to take.  

• Like 3

Just now, Buffalo Bumble said:

I honestly didn't think legitimate lake effect snow was possible at the end of April, during the day.  But the band coming off Huron and extending through the Niagara Frontier right now is legitimate.  About an inch down here in the last 30 minutes.  

Wife and I were talking that if not for covid situation, we would do an "emergency" 1-2 week vacation down south to escape this nonsense.  Step one to likely moving to a warmer climate.  I love the snow in winter, but "springs" around here are getting tough to take.  

Today is insane. I’ve never seen anything like this in my lifetime in late April. legit 1-2” an hour lake effect bands. Unreal. 

• Like 1

About the 9th coating for April.

Apparently if I want to see legit lake effect snow I need to move to the Buffalo area....say, Springville? Er..........

Looks like Syracuse proper got more than here. Think the strong winds blew the heaviest inland...as Oswego and the Lakeshore look to have nothing.

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

Well I noticed the daily Climo reports for ROC and SYR each recorded 0.3" of snow for the calendar day yesterday. Maybe SYR scored a bit more overnight. We're trying to flatten KROCs curve here people.  ;)

Sorry bud but accept hard, Rochester is the winner this year! :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

About the 9th coating for April.

Apparently if I want to see legit lake effect snow I need to move to the Buffalo area....say, Springville? Er..........

Looks like Syracuse proper got more than here. Think the strong winds blew the heaviest inland...as Oswego and the Lakeshore look to have nothing.

In most years, your LES season south of Buffalo would end, painfully, in early February, and in most years snow lovers on the NF and southern tier look at an open Lake Ontario is total envy.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Do the best of both worlds. Buy a home down south and then keep a vacation home somewhere in NYS. That’s kinda my plan. 
How great would it be to have a place on a lake that you could visit during our glorious summers and in the heart of winter? But Fall and Spring around here are terrible. 

From Binghamton's latest discussion...It will probably be in the elevations...as this has clearly been an elevation-dependent fall/winter/spring. We shall see!

This upper level low will then slowly pivot through the area
Saturday night through Sunday, which will bring periods of rain
to the area. As the upper level low drifts east of the area
Sunday afternoon, temperatures may be cold enough to change this
rain to snow. This will have to be watched as accumulating snow
could be possible late Sunday/Sunday night. Due to uncertainty
in temperatures/exact track of this low, went with the NBM or
slightly cooler (National Blend of Models) for temperatures,
which led to highs on Sunday mainly in the 40s with mostly rain,
changing to a mix of rain and snow Sunday night.

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

From Binghamton's latest discussion...It will probably be in the elevations...as this has clearly been an elevation-dependent fall/winter/spring. We shall see!

This upper level low will then slowly pivot through the area
Saturday night through Sunday, which will bring periods of rain
to the area. As the upper level low drifts east of the area
Sunday afternoon, temperatures may be cold enough to change this
rain to snow. This will have to be watched as accumulating snow
could be possible late Sunday/Sunday night. Due to uncertainty
in temperatures/exact track of this low, went with the NBM or
slightly cooler (National Blend of Models) for temperatures,
which led to highs on Sunday mainly in the 40s with mostly rain,
changing to a mix of rain and snow Sunday night.

I was trying to scam a way for elevation to help KSYR vs KROC but...according to Wikipedia (and other sources)  Rochester Int'l Airport is at 559' AMSL and Hancock Field is 421' AMSL.  So no help there. We'll have to do this the ol' fashioned way.  Cheat 'em. ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

I was trying to scam a way for elevation to help KSYR vs KROC but...according to Wikipedia (and other sources)  Rochester Int'l Airport is at 559' AMSL and Hancock Field is 421' AMSL.  So no help there. We'll have to do this the ol' fashioned way.  Cheat 'em. ;)

Ha! Just not our winter(s)

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm going insane. Snow/rain/wind/cold EVERYDAY, and I'm forced to stay inside. :cliff:

Super bad stretch of weather for sure.  This is no consolation, but just to put into context how awful this is emerging from the winter months (when I think we all want negative departures), to "spring" (when we beg for mild), check out this stat for BUF...Dec, Jan, Feb, and Mar had NO stretches of 4 straight days of negative departures.  There were only 2 stretches of negative departures for 3 straight days, both in Dec.  We're currently working on NINE straight days of negative departures, with 2 of those coming in at -15.  Maybe we cap it at 11 with a "mild" Saturday...?  

• Sad 1