• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

10 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Thats a good question. I can say that when I ventured to Mont Tremblant a few months back I was blown away by the snowpack there.  It was legit and they barely have had a day above freezing since then so I think its at least plausible.  Apparently we live just south of the predominant storm track and baroclinic line where it basically never gets above freezing all winter.  

I find this fascinating every winter. If we’re torching, just look 200 miles north to find deep winter. Very rare to see a cutter not head due east after it passes 100-200 miles north of our latitude, or just dissipate/transfer energy. Assuring the pack gets replenished or maintained up there. Same idea for UP of Michigan i guess. Latitude ensures deep pack every winter, regardless of above normal temps. 

• Like 1

"Newsom said in the letter that California has had 126 new COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours – including 44 news community acquired transmission – a total increase of 21 percent. With the case rate doubling every four days in parts of the state, Newsom projected some 25.5 million Californians would eventually contract the virus."

What the data isn't saying here is that they're just starting to ramp up testing so there will be a surge of already existing cases. We have to wait until the data stabilizes to get a true curve of new cases. The POTUS briefing mentioned this a couple days ago...specifically told the news outlets to explain this. 

Winds are cranking good and it looks like quite a bit of clearing is developing behind that low topped “squall” line over far WNY. Even with the strongest jet moving east of us that clearing might be able to fully mix out the low levels and give us a few more hours of significant gusts. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Looks like all non-essential workers now being ordered by Cuomo to stay home. So a “soft” shelter in place mandate. 

If the virus is really this serious we should have already been placed under full lockdown.  Every day they keep waiting we will continue to have uncontrolled  community spread.  Sure they are reacting but it’s too little too late now.  The county health commissioner just said at this point people need to understand that any public place is more likely than not an active transmission site.  Working the front lines at the grocery store I’ve already come to terms that I have probably been exposed and likely infected. It still bothers me that the government has not started restrictions in our stores to protect the workers, customers and honestly the food supply itself.  Both Tops and Wegmans have implemented social distancing recommendations at the checkouts as well as round the clock cleaning procedures but it’s nothing more than an illusionary effect to make people feel like it’s safe.  It’s not!  With the massive crowds in every store right now even passing a person in an aisle would not allow for the 6’ rule.  Can’t believe everything you read about this but I saw one report that says it can stay in the air for up to 3 hours and remain alive on cardboard surfaces for up to 4 days.  Just mind boggling to think of just how many people could be infected by a single sick person inside a grocery store type setting.  I saw in Italy weeks ago that the army was actually regulating grocery stores.  If you had a fever or cough you were not allowed in.  Based on the size of the store only so many were let inside at any one time to allow shoppers to stay distant enough.  The workers were dressed in full PPE.  Crazy to think it might come to this but if we want to get this over and done with it’s time for a full shutdown.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Global mortality rate is 4.15%

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

China solved the problem.  Everything back to normal.  Nothing to see there.

Markets vomited at the close today.  Again. And not just the markets.  Full on panic will reduce GDP to a fraction of previous.  Get ready for the end of the past salad days. We are headed to 0.

50 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Global mortality rate is 4.15%

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I think a better way to interpret these numbers are that 4.15% of the seriously ill will die. 

I really have to believe that millions of people worldwide must have been infected with little to no symptoms.  In that scenario the overall death rate would be far lower.  I don't say this to take away any seriousness though.  That's a super scary number for anyone that catches this and develops severe symptoms.  

• Like 1

Well, the economy can’t shut down.  People will be broke soon, and they will have to eat, and they will need to get money.  During sandy, we had gas shortages in my area, and just within a few days, people were getting aggressive in gas lines.  Less than a week.  People can turn on each other faster than you think.  People will do what they think they have to do, right or wrong.  They will do it because the consequences to them are hunger and poverty. 

To me this is is going to be a game of chicken. People need to eat vs. the virus.  Who breaks first?  I hope the virus, but if it doesn’t the pain will be unimaginable.  And I also think there could be a point where the government can’t keep a lid on people moving and the people demanding a return to normal.  Patience will eventually run out on this, also sooner than you think.  Weeks not months.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I think a better way to interpret these numbers are that 4.15% of the seriously ill will die. 

I really have to believe that millions of people worldwide must have been infected with little to no symptoms.  In that scenario the overall death rate would be far lower.  I don't say this to take away any seriousness though.  That's a super scary number for anyone that catches this and develops severe symptoms.  

I agree with This 100%. In fact im certain there are plenty of domestic cases that have not been tested and people have the virus but not the symptoms...case in point the basketball player who just came out and said he was only tested because he knew he was near someone who had the virus...how many are walking around as carriers with no symptoms? And I f I hear one more argument against the flu having a lower mortality rate in going to lose it. If the flu did not have a vaccine to help prevent the virus it would also have a much higher death rate. Yet people are still dying from that, with a vaccine as well. And that has a nasal swab for every person. This does not. 

2 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

If the virus is really this serious we should have already been placed under full lockdown.  Every day they keep waiting we will continue to have uncontrolled  community spread.  Sure they are reacting but it’s too little too late now.  The county health commissioner just said at this point people need to understand that any public place is more likely than not an active transmission site.  Working the front lines at the grocery store I’ve already come to terms that I have probably been exposed and likely infected. It still bothers me that the government has not started restrictions in our stores to protect the workers, customers and honestly the food supply itself.  Both Tops and Wegmans have implemented social distancing recommendations at the checkouts as well as round the clock cleaning procedures but it’s nothing more than an illusionary effect to make people feel like it’s safe.  It’s not!  With the massive crowds in every store right now even passing a person in an aisle would not allow for the 6’ rule.  Can’t believe everything you read about this but I saw one report that says it can stay in the air for up to 3 hours and remain alive on cardboard surfaces for up to 4 days.  Just mind boggling to think of just how many people could be infected by a single sick person inside a grocery store type setting.  I saw in Italy weeks ago that the army was actually regulating grocery stores.  If you had a fever or cough you were not allowed in.  Based on the size of the store only so many were let inside at any one time to allow shoppers to stay distant enough.  The workers were dressed in full PPE.  Crazy to think it might come to this but if we want to get this over and done with it’s time for a full shutdown.  

Steve...hang in there man. I was thinking when I was at Wegmans yesterday that we’re expecting people like you in the grocery business to be on the front lines so to speak for the public good. You and people like you should be getting major compensation for what you’re doing.  Thank you for doing such important work right now. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Well, the economy can’t shut down.  People will be broke soon, and they will have to eat, and they will need to get money.  During sandy, we had gas shortages in my area, and just within a few days, people were getting aggressive in gas lines.  Less than a week.  People can turn on each other faster than you think.  People will do what they think they have to do, right or wrong.  They will do it because the consequences to them are hunger and poverty. 

To me this is is going to be a game of chicken. People need to eat vs. the virus.  Who breaks first?  I hope the virus, but if it doesn’t the pain will be unimaginable.  And I also think there could be a point where the government can’t keep a lid on people moving and the people demanding a return to normal.  Patience will eventually run out on this, also sooner than you think.  Weeks not months.  

Not sure what it’s like by you but here food production is running full tilt. I work for a place that sells parts for the food and beverage industry and most places are currently running non stop. Most places are making it their duty to keep America fed. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Not sure what it’s like by you but here food production is running full tilt. I work for a place that sells parts for the food and beverage industry and most places are currently running non stop. Most places are making it their duty to keep America fed. 

I’m talking about a shortage of money, not food.  Money is going to dry up quick for a lot of people. We aren’t even out of the first inning and people are out of work.  

Edit it I see You thought I meant that gas shortages relate to what’s happening.  No.  I meant that as an example how quickly people lose patience in a crisis, and that one was an inconvenience. 

• Like 1

Mortality rates being published are huge over statements.  Testing is simply not available at this point to get an accurate picture of how wide spread this is.  In Erie County they are now only testing those with the most severe symptoms, are at higher risk, or have had known contact with a positive person while they were contagious.  Of course the mortality rate will be much higher if your only checking the sickest of the sick.  I’m also somewhat skeptical of the test itself.  As of yesterday Erie County had test result of 206 people with 28 positives and 178 negatives.  Considering they are only testing those who are showing all 3 of the key symptoms having a positive test result rate of less than 14% is confusing.  Are the tests faulty?  Has the virus mutated into something else that is not detectable?  Are the tests being wasted on VIPs that aren’t really sick in the first place?  Could the other 86% just have an ordinary common cold or respiratory infection?  All the unknowns are what makes this scary in my own opinion.  It all goes back to the fact that if your in relatively good health you’ll survive this without much issue.  

• Like 1