• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

30 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Nice solid band of snow showers just moved through. Left a thick coating on everything.

Been snowing/graupeling for a couple hours now.

Drove thru it. I-81 in No. Syracuse was briefly getting covered. But fear not, state plows were out wasting taxpayer $ (at 35 mph).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

Drove thru it. I-81 in No. Syracuse was briefly getting covered. But fear not, state plows were out wasting taxpayer $ (at 35 mph).

Unfortunately, that's because some numbskull will go 90 mph in it, crash, and then blame the state for "not taking care of the roads."

So many rules, laws, and taxes are the result of self-centered people and others trying to control the dingbats.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

All models at one point or another show appreciable accumulation over the next ten days...i have a feeling BW is going to be awfully depressed for a month or two this spring...

Couldn’t that have been said on any given day all winter long?  I’m not trying to be a smart-ass but it seemed like the models consistently showed “wintry weather” being 4-10 days away all winter.  Then it would disappear almost every time.

Side note:  I tracked snow cover at my house Jan 1 to Feb 29 and we were white 88.x% of the days, but never had an honest 6in on the ground.  Seems very typical of recent winters.  

59 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Maybe for once we can get a SR trend in our favor lol

Tough to predict any type of IVT. 

sn10_acc.us_ne - 2020-03-05T093027.106.png

Yeah Wolfie! I’ll be up your way and skiing at Snow Ridge on Saturday. I’d love to see a couple fresh inches. It would feel like a miracle. They have had a little snow this week. The cam out of Brantingham shows 18” of snow remaining. I have no idea how that much stayed after this last week. 
Snow ridge is on the very eastern edge of the tug, so it’s gonna be tight. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Euro was decent fwiw..

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.us_ne (80).png

sn10_024h.us_ne (27).png

I can tell ive switched to spring mode now. 2 weeks ago in the Hamilton region I would be looking at that map hoping it trends a bit further south to get us fully in the 6-8" range. Now I want it to trend north so im in the sloppy 1-3" range or nothing at all. It took 3 days to fully melt all the snow aside from parking lot piles, dont want another 8" which will waste another 3-4 days of warmer weather just to melt. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

I can tell ive switched to spring mode now. 2 weeks ago in the Hamilton region I would be looking at that map hoping it trends a bit further south to get us fully in the 6-8" range. Now I want it to trend north so im in the sloppy 1-3" range or nothing at all. It took 3 days to fully melt all the snow aside from parking lot piles, dont want another 8" which will waste another 3-4 days of warmer weather just to melt. 

You ok? 

• Haha 1

Let’s get to summer and get rid of this virus.  Talks about canceling international travel. Wife just got an email from her employer, a survey if you can work from home. (She already does). And also asking if you’re planning any travel outside of USA. We are to New Zealand next month. Trip better not be canceled! 

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Let’s get to summer and get rid of this virus.  Talks about canceling international travel. Wife just got an email from her employer, a survey if you can work from home. (She already does). And also asking if you’re planning any travel outside of USA. We are to New Zealand next month. Trip better not be canceled! 

This is being to highly overblown. Sars had a bigger impact and so did H1N1. 

2 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Mortality rate is much higher though. SARS killed 813 people corona is already over 3000

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/coronavirus-diseases-comparing-covid-19-sars-mers-numbers-n1150321

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm flying to Orlando end of month for a few days and Italy (Rome, Florence) for 2 weeks in late April.  My employer already saying I'll be working from home for 2 weeks post italy trip (Maybe Orlando too). They've cancelled all international travel for work-related reasons.  We have another worker in our group coming back from India...I now have to make plans to do a turnover of his work I've been covering by phone.

And oh yeah, no insurance on any of my flights or reservations...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

This is just starting.  Who knows how many people have come in contact with someone with the virus.  Look at the guy who died in New York City, he walked through Grand Central station before he knew he was infected.  How many people might have contracted the virus from him?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Disagree.  COVID-19 is a scary virus.  It's incredibly contagious compared to similar viruses and far more deadly.  The flu virus typically has a mortality rate of .05 to .1%, COVID-19 is somewhere between 2-3%.  Case in point, In one of the worst seasons (2018) for flu it killed 30 people in one week in Italy with 832,000 infected. Coronavirus just killed 41 individuals in a single day within the same population with only 3858 infection cases.  That's an astounding statistic.

Additionally, subsequent research of SAR's patients found that nearly all of the cases that advanced to pneumonia suffered PERMANENT lung damage.  This same permanent damage is already being seen in recovered cases of COVID-19.  

The US medical system is nearly at full capacity on a normal day.  Just think how long you typically wait at the ER.  Now imagine thousands upon thousands of additional highly contagious people flooding the hospitals.  It's going to be a nightmare.

BuffaloWeather, I would be surprised if you can still make this New Zealand trip.  Pulling for you though..

Let's compare this to H1N1 as you mentioned.  It's apples and oranges, this thing is a killer.

Capture.thumb.JPG.5be50475b819fff355bfa815821289d7.JPG

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

So, it looks like tomorrow's system even finds a way to JUST screw the Syracuse area. It neeeeeeever ends.

I can’t really get a grasp on tomorrow’s system. I think the Syracuse/ Tug area are getting downsloped from the Dacks. That and being on the NE side of best dynamics. Could be some surprises. 
It’s nothing big but someone might get a few inches in the hills. 
12z NAM 3k had a stripe of 6”+ over the Tug but backed off on 18z

• Like 1