• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring-Summer banter 2020

Holston_River_Rambler

Let's drop the politics and side commentary before I have to start swinging the ax.....we have a forum for that you can go sign up for it. It has no place in here.

I remember going to Burial last time I was in Asheville! Good stuff! 

In the meantime, if someone would start up a Spring Summer Fall type forecast discussion thread....I would be most grateful! I fear I will cause a massive heatwave if I start it....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't make the rules, but my two cents...I personally don't mind the COVID19 talk as that is just part of our lives.  We have a great forum, even though many of us are on opposite sides of the aisle.  This is one place where we can drop the politics(admittedly difficult sometimes to separate politics from the issues at hand) and be somewhat united in our enjoyment of the weather.   I do think it is entirely possible that COVID19 and the weather are likely linked, even if loosely.  The other families of corona viruses do not like late spring and summer weather.  It is entirely possible that it returns during the fall with the first cold snap or two if that is the case.  What we do here might have particular significance if that is the case.  I just think we can have those discussions without being overly partisan.  I do realize for many that these are stressful times.  Some are out of work.  Some are about to be.  Many are stuck at home.  I think discussion is healthy, but let's just remember that we were friends well before this virus came upon us.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was it 1955-56 we were looking at late last fall into winter comparing similarities to this year? 

I was looking at record lows for each month and it appears June, August and September of 1956  all had monthly record lows for here. 

June 1956 - 33 degrees 

August 1956 - 41 degrees

September 1956 - 31 degrees. 

1961, which doesn't have the record coldest May day here, did have the end if month freezes. 1961 also has the record low for July of 45 degrees. We've been close to that one a few times since 2009 here with several July nights in the 40s. 

• Thanks 1

Looks up May and June 1956 in the Plains, lol!

Nah with covid-19 and that awful cut-off low in Texas, I think no Plains chase trip this year. No way to manage the covid-19 risk without camping in the car and eating tuna fish and crackers. When I chase I like my breakfast buffet and evening drinks - both part of the experience. Just can't do it!

Meanwhile it's gonna get hot here next week. Frankly I enjoy MBN temps because it delays that awful, hot, humid, sticky, hazy, disgusting SER. I'll miss the deep emerald skies this spring. Even with lower pollution, that goes bye-bye in summer! So next week we have a SER but no Plains severe. Texas cut-off low. It is a terribly bitter pair of pills to swallow.

Thanks for reading me vent. In lighter news Korean baseball is on ESPN overnights. They don't tape delay so I guess DVR for sports. English Premiere League starts June 1. Not sure if fans or not, but all we care about this side of the Pond is sports on TV.

Cheers!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Looks up May and June 1956 in the Plains, lol!

Nah with covid-19 and that awful cut-off low in Texas, I think no Plains chase trip this year. No way to manage the covid-19 risk without camping in the car and eating tuna fish and crackers. When I chase I like my breakfast buffet and evening drinks - both part of the experience. Just can't do it!

Meanwhile it's gonna get hot here next week. Frankly I enjoy MBN temps because it delays that awful, hot, humid, sticky, hazy, disgusting SER. I'll miss the deep emerald skies this spring. Even with lower pollution, that goes bye-bye in summer! So next week we have a SER but no Plains severe. Texas cut-off low. It is a terribly bitter pair of pills to swallow.

Thanks for reading me vent. In lighter news Korean baseball is on ESPN overnights. They don't tape delay so I guess DVR for sports. English Premiere League starts June 1. Not sure if fans or not, but all we care about this side of the Pond is sports on TV.

Cheers!

Yeah its a suck time to do anything

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m at N Myrtle and thought I was seeing a water spout forming but it never tightened up. Couple of pics I took. Could have been a scud but there was already 2 water spouts confirmed about 30 min up the road. With this low pressure spinning in central SC I am on the good side to see a spin up.

9f51d53fdfcccce5a6f327bda531a584.jpg&key=eb1fd120afd13b989e0fd49d938c5fbb904691f4f3ab27ef8fdbf77bf6919b4d

93ff1faeef31ae1f8ebe7ca0ed35a29d.jpg&key=d75211e3061e36f7e9c9924432467ede19c61133e77d956b9bb6cb1c04663458

6e6452d8d49e9799b14dbf3c1bbea145.jpg&key=197fad5b284f76cd2263df25150c9d1aa5c4cf777244b5951aee24b70f7f1611

• Like 3

I think that was trying @PowellVolz from the clouds. Spouts go on shear lines, not really sups as you know. You bet I'm always checking at the beach, lol!

Another take-away here, looks like beaches are not too crowded. My odds of taking the family later this year just increased. Thanks both also @EastKnox for some ground truth.

Both took excellent pictures too! I love a good storm after my beach time.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Chattanooga FC will be on the CW Saturday night. Believe that's just in Chatty but maybe some other CWs will carry it. No fans at Finley, but we got soccer again!!

• Like 1

I think that was trying [mention=14393]PowellVolz[/mention] from the clouds. Spouts go on shear lines, not really sups as you know. You bet I'm always checking at the beach, lol!
Another take-away here, looks like beaches are not too crowded. My odds of taking the family later this year just increased. Thanks both also [mention=15168]EastKnox[/mention] for some ground truth.
Both took excellent pictures too! I love a good storm after my beach time.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Chattanooga FC will be on the CW Saturday night. Believe that's just in Chatty but maybe some other CWs will carry it. No fans at Finley, but we got soccer again!!

To be honest where I’m at in the Windy Hill area of N Myrtle which is directly across from Barefoot Landing the beaches were more crowded than I expected. Today we had perfect weather, upper 80’s and a very slight breeze. We went out around 9ish this morning and we actually had to look for a spot on the beach to sit down. It’s not exactly packed but we had to look around for a spot that was 6 foot or so away from people. Here’s a pic I took and the majority of the time the beaches were about 50% more crowded than this pic. aa79dbd50e5c07d2c3673f5ac4735e70.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you @PowellVolz  for the recon. That's great we also stayed at Bearfoot on the golf course, though I don't golf in summer there. It's nice rentals and near good restaurants. Not quite as touristy as the heart of MB. South Carolina was smart to put in that express way so one can get to other parts of MB quickly.

We'd probably go to the Gulf Coast in fall. Always playing games with the tropics that time of year. However I love the weather. It's not as hot. Sun is lower so less sunburn. Still warm enough and the ocean is plenty warm. Years past fall is not as crowded as summer. We'll see if everyone else is thinking the same thing.

Only trouble is fall is past spout season. I'll pass on tropical. Just give me general thunderstorms, lol!

• Like 2

Throwing this pic in here of me and my son who had a great time. I wasn’t really fired up about coming here with everything that’s going on in our upside down world but I just couldn’t tell him we wasn’t going to the beach. We just did carry out most nights when we didn’t eat in. We did go to the outlets one day but they were not all that crowded and we obviously had on masks. I’d say 90% of the people we saw in public had on masks.

d5450ba0a55ccf396e02d2a4ea2bc36a.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you [mention=14393]PowellVolz[/mention]  for the recon. That's great we also stayed at Bearfoot on the golf course, though I don't golf in summer there. It's nice rentals and near good restaurants. Not quite as touristy as the heart of MB. South Carolina was smart to put in that express way so one can get to other parts of MB quickly.
We'd probably go to the Gulf Coast in fall. Always playing games with the tropics that time of year. However I love the weather. It's not as hot. Sun is lower so less sunburn. Still warm enough and the ocean is plenty warm. Years past fall is not as crowded as summer. We'll see if everyone else is thinking the same thing.
Only trouble is fall is past spout season. I'll pass on tropical. Just give me general thunderstorms, lol!

Our neighbors have their own house on Cape San Blas and we usually do fall break there. There it’s very easy to social distance because it’s not crowded at all. I love that place. They were very lucky that hurricane Michael didn’t destroy that whole peninsula, considering it protects parts of Mexico Beach.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 6:25 PM, PowellVolz said:

This is a beautiful pic. Did you use an iPhone? I have an iPhone 11 Pro but I haven’t figured out all the camera options yet.

I used the panoramic mode on an iPhone 10.  Most of the "skill" involved was just luck in timing with the sunset shining on the upper level clouds.  Funny thing is...the storm never made it to me.  It fell apart and ended up as a light drizzle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow that's beautiful! We hiked a short stretch of the Cumberland Trail with rock houses and water in which to wade. Oh but I miss the Rockies!

Would love to go out there when the Aspens are glowing - never been that time. Maybe pull a fall Plains trip with Aspens on the down days. I don't know.

• Like 3