• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Leap Days Clipper Parade: February 26th-29th 2020

John1122

Looking upstream I don't see anything to be enthusiastic about the rest of the evening for my area.

Winter 2019-20 wasn't as bad as 2018-19 for my area and not as bad as 2017-18 either. But those two are basically the gold standard for the worst winters in my life.  

It's either bound to bounce back at some point or I'm going to have to move to the Tughill Plateau for year or two.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Its wild to watch the rain leave Kentucky and change to snow on the Plateau, and leave the Plateau and change to rain in the southern Eastern areas. 

You are higher than most people.I looked at some spots just now east and seen the winds were blowing more from the SW,seems odd,The 925's to the south per HRRR would be tough to support snow anyways other than higher elevations per HRRR that far south

Ended up getting several decent bands to rotate through over the last few hours.  One was as odd as any situation I've seen during heavier snow.  It was 32, a band of very heavy snow rotated in the from the NW and the temperature went up to 34 during the band. I don't remember ever seeing the temperature rise while heavy snow was falling. 

29 now, 3/4ths of an inch once again.  So modeling that showed my area getting about 1.5 total from the clippers was about right. I-75 got pretty slick from Caryville to Jellico but the salt brigade is out now. 

• Like 2

My family in southeast Kentucky had about 1.5" overnight, and I had enough to turn the ground white here after recording .19" in the last 24 hours.  Considering meteorological winter ends today, I'll take it. 

In any event, it's a beautiful late winter day, and I'm spending it cleaning up all the tree debris after this winter, and I'm ready to burn it tomorrow before another round of heavy rain moves in next week. 

• Like 4

My guess is some convergence in the wake misses you to the northwest. Have you ever checked up 27? Hypothesis is based on trajectory exactly parallel to the mountains.

If from the west or northwest, I figure everybody gets killed by downslope. We know a lot about that in Chattanooga off the Plateau, lol!

On 2/28/2020 at 7:43 PM, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Man I think the Crab Orchard mts just kill me with SW - NE moving precip. They don't look like much on a map (for those not on the plateau, I'm sure you are familiar Shcoker,) but I am in their shadow (sorry weird symbol is my area):

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 7.38.43 PM

In other news, Friday evening I'm so glad I missed MRX updating for the Chattanooga area. Never even saw that update. Watched Netflix when it became obvious KCHA temps would hang up as usual. 

Good for those who got snow OK with the system. Despite the wonderful Feb. 8 surprise, KCHA has adjusted back to just being the cheering section. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2020 at 7:43 PM, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Man I think the Crab Orchard mts just kill me with SW - NE moving precip. They don't look like much on a map (for those not on the plateau, I'm sure you are familiar Shcoker,) but I am in their shadow (sorry weird symbol is my area):

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 7.38.43 PM

Here's how they look from I-40

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 7.41.29 PM

You wouldn't be a true member of the forum if topography couldn't screw you out of snow(by usually more than one scenario).    "Downsloping FTW" should be the subform motto.  Unless of course there is a flooding threat, then it enhances the rainfall.  LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic