• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Leap Days Clipper Parade: February 26th-29th 2020

John1122

Just thinking about tonight..... it’s 23 at New Found Gap, 31 at Ober Gatlinburg and 37 at my house 1k feet. I’m not sure how much rain we will actually get out of round 2 with temp at 0c down to 3800ft. Not expecting a issue in Knoxville but even in the N knox co areas there could be “back roads” problems, especially in the shaded areas. I’d say the county roads are all in the 30’s by now.

• Like 1

From MRX at 3:15PM....

Showers across the northern half of the area will continue to taper off through the rest of the afternoon. With steep lapse rates, we have been seeing snow with temperatures in the mid and upper 30s, which is preventing accumulations at lower elevations. That should continue through the rest of the day. As the midlevel shortwave trough departs, we should see a brief lull this evening before a stronger trough approaches tonight. This disturbance will bring a surge of cold air aloft that will steepen lapse rates once again, and shift low level winds to the NW while increasing them to 30-40 kts. This will be favorable for convective snow showers in the northern half, with orographic enhancement squeezing out additional moisture across the higher terrain. This second round is expected to arrive in the Plateau between 02-04Z, with peak snowfall in the 04-08Z time frame. The upslope flow will maintain accumulating snow in the mountains until around 12-15Z. The Winter Weather Advisory will be expanded slightly to include all of SW VA, with the emphasis on higher elevations above 2500 ft. The Advisory area can expect a half inch up to 3 inches in higher elevations. The mountains from Monroe to Cocke couties will be upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning, emphasizing elevations above 3500 ft where 3-7 inches are expected overnight.

30 minutes ago, Vol Man said:

Sorry...Indian Springs area...east Kingsport.

I am on the west end of Kingsport and we had thunder snow here...one of the hardest times I have seen it snow in a long time.  It thundered and lightning probably 3 or 4 times.  The ground and side roads here were covered in a matter of ten minutes.  Only lasted about fifteen but man if it had lasted at least an hour we would have had an inch or two possibly.

• Like 3

I was working in Sneedville today, it snowed off and on there, but when I got back to Bean Station I noticed the ground was white in spots. Sure enough, just as I came back into Morristown, I caught up with the tail end of the line and man it was Awesome!! Heavy snow! Just got home and looks like I have about 1/3in on the grass and picnic table. 

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic