Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Medium/Long Range Disco

CAPE

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Look at this shit 

This actually goes against what many private mets think this coming April will be like,  but the weather will do its own thing.  Looking further ahead, some analogs suggest a cooler summer and others a furnace. 

5 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

As a poster in the forum just to your north & a long time lurker here, I thought that you guys would enjoy the 0z Canadian for the Wednesday coastal storm.

We are less than 100 hours out, but unfortunately the Canadian doesn’t have much support from the other models at this time.

FAF4CEFD-C854-4AA3-A96D-7154A28F9F3E.png

031CE3AD-8C0F-4B15-AD54-26FE2A3A3F35.png

4CF7F960-7604-4EFB-8046-858C5314818D.png

ECF46EEA-71A9-4E07-9A27-1A4407C3A834.png

April 10th 500's look more promising. 

• Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, stormy said:

The GEM capitulated to the GFS southern track and ots.  A continuation of a recent weeks pattern that finds much of Virginia/Maryland now beginning to suffer a soil moisture deficit.

both.gif

I can assure you fine people there is no soil moisture deficit in Warrenton!  I just tilled up my garden and the clay is saturated!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PCT_ATC said:

I can assure you fine people there is no soil moisture deficit in Warrenton!  I just tilled up my garden and the clay is saturated!

I can assure you that a topsoil moisture deficit is developing over much of central and northern Virginia. This has nothing to do with the subsoil clay moisture in your garden. Clay retains moisture long after topsoil is dry. During the first 29 days of March I received 38% of normal rainfall!

25 minutes ago, stormy said:

I can assure you that a topsoil moisture deficit is developing over much of central and northern Virginia. This has nothing to do with the subsoil clay moisture in your garden. Clay retains moisture long after topsoil is dry. During the first 29 days of March I received 38% of normal rainfall!

when i  get home I'll  take a picture of the shoes I used while tilling my garden.  I grew 3 inches from all the clay/soil stuck to the bottom of my shoes.  my entire yard is wet not just my garden.  I'm looking forward to things drying out

26 minutes ago, PCT_ATC said:

when i  get home I'll  take a picture of the shoes I used while tilling my garden.  I grew 3 inches from all the clay/soil stuck to the bottom of my shoes.  my entire yard is wet not just my garden.  I'm looking forward to things drying out

I am very happy for you with all that rain, but regional stats. don't lie. Congratulations!  But, you have probably ruined the soil in your garden by getting in it when it was far too wet!!  I made that mistake about 20 years ago. It took years to get the 'clay brick" soil reconditioned.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, stormy said:

I am very happy for you with all that rain, but regional stats. don't lie. Congratulations!  But, you have probably ruined the soil in your garden by getting in it when it was far too wet!!  I made that mistake about 20 years ago. It took years to get the 'clay brick" soil reconditioned.

you arent a very happy go lucky guy are you?  very hyper critcal of others.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stormy said:

Everywhere you go here it’s squish. Mowed today at 2 pm. Full sun for hours. Mower tires instantly wet when they started rolling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Everywhere you go here it’s squish. Mowed today at 2 pm. Full sun for hours. Mower tires instantly wet when they started rolling.

There is no longer a moisture deficit here, despite what any map shows. When the seasonal wetland on my property expands and drowns, the water table is charged. It took a while after the late summer/fall drought, but 4.3" this month has it exactly as it normally is. It fills when the water table has broken the surface, as it is low and there is no natural drainage there, so it sits until the trees become active and the longer, warmer days help to dry it up. I just hit it with larvicide, as I always do at the end of March. Normal.

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

There is no longer a moisture deficit here, despite what any map shows. When the seasonal wetland on my property expands and drowns, the water table is charged. It took a while after the late summer/fall drought, but 4.3" this month has it exactly as it normally is. It fills when the water table has broken the surface, as it is low and there is no natural drainage there, so it sits until the trees become active and the longer, warmer days help to dry it up. I just hit it with larvicide, as I always do at the end of March. Normal.

You speak with a reasonable tone. Thank you for that. As you may notice the date on the short term map is March 21. What some seem to be unaware of or defensive about  is that portions of extreme northern Virginia and Maryland received very beneficial rainfall yesterday. Cross Junction in Frederick County reported .50". Others without doubt received significantly more. If you travel south from this area rainfall was meager at best. I received .02".  You received 4.30" in March. That is close to what I have received this entire year to date.

Just now, stormy said:

You speak with a reasonable tone. Thank you for that. As you may notice the date on the short term map is March 21. What some seem to be unaware of or defensive about  is that portions of extreme northern Virginia and Maryland received very beneficial rainfall yesterday. Cross Junction in Frederick County reported .50". Others without doubt received significantly more. If you travel south from this area rainfall was meager at best. I received .02".  You received 4.30" in March. That is close to what I have received this entire year to date.

I don't doubt there are localized areas in our general region that are at a deficit. That map, however, needs an update.

31 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I don't doubt there are localized areas in our general region that are at a deficit. That map, however, needs an update.

That map only updates about once every two weeks. That is the latest.

During the past 7 - 10 days the latitude zone from  the bay through D.C. to Winchester has received various amounts of very beneficial rain. Much of central and northern Va. from Richmond, Charlottesville, Lexington, Staunton, Harrisonburg and New Market is very dry. These are several month deficits.  Southwest Va. between Roanoke and Bristol is wet.

• Like 1

• H2O unpinned this topic