Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March Medium/Long Range Disco

CAPE

2 hours ago, Weather Will said:

WB 6Z GEFS still showing don’t give up hope during the second week of March.  To make myself aa clear as I can there is 0% chances of an event through next Thursday.   After that, we have a slight chance for about a week.  That is all that I think that is advertised.  Luck would help.  You have to understand that probability maps are a snapshot. There is no cumulative effect.  For example, whether I flip a coin once or a thousand times, there is a 50% of getting heads or tails each time.  The difference with the snow probability maps is that every six hours you get a little closer to the target period with updated weather data input.  So it will be interesting to see if the probs increase over the next week for the second week of March and whether other models also show it. I would only note that I am not remembering a period recently where GEFS has shown some signals, albeit weak for the same time period two days in a row.

38621165-AA13-40ED-BB3E-71EE429E0E7E.png

Let's just take p02 or p19 and be done with it!

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

31 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

My son was born in the middle of the March 3 2014 snowstorm. I will never give up until late March. emoji3.png

Yeah I was going to say you don't have to go back that far for good March snows. Our biggest event in 2018 was in March. 

...the first day of Spring. Even DCA had 4"

That being said, I'm very torn right now. As much as I would like to see something I'm tired of these false hopes, and I just want Spring at this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Let's just take p02 or p19 and be done with it!

If you look at those maps, there is a 100% chance that I will see at least 1/2” of snow during the period. Anybody think a 100% probability is reasonable or descriptive of anything weather related?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know the thread is a dumpster fire joke at this point but it can snow even into late March here, and some of the years it did were god awful seasons like this one.  

Now...does that mean it’s likely?  Hell no. It’s a long shot. And we’re not getting some 20” cold smoke HECS. A small slushy accumulation is more likely if anything at all. But some would be happy with that and would want to track it. So if you’re one of the people who has totally checked out (I’m mostly checked out) fine but leave those that want to track every lottery ticket chance to the bitter end alone. It’s no skin off your back. Posts whining about other people tracking low probability snow chances is more annoying than the posts tracking them. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

If you look at those maps, there is a 100% chance that I will see at least 1/2” of snow during the period. Anybody think a 100% probability is reasonable or descriptive of anything weather related?

Only that it'll be hot and uncomfortable for months on end starting a couple months from now.

7 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Nobody posted the Gfs for Wed night:ph34r: . Snow n+w area's 

In fairness you might be the only one of the 7 people in this sub effected by that still paying any attention.  I am at the point where I check in once a day and scan everything but not wasting any more time than that.  I don't really have that much time right now anyways.  

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I know the thread is a dumpster fire joke at this point but it can snow even into late March here, and some of the years it did were god awful seasons like this one.  

March 25, 2013 comes to mind.  Now, that wasn't as bad as this winter has been, but it was loaded with disappointment (especially when we got screwed earlier that month).

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Strictly speaking the maps give the percent of ensemble members showing at least a certain amount of snow/sleet. They are a tool not a forecast. 

3 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

Strictly speaking the maps give the percent of ensemble members showing at least a certain amount of snow/sleet. They are a tool not a forecast. 

Yes, I know this. But if you look at those maps, every single one of them “predict” (because that’s what an ensemble member is, a prediction of weather) that I will see at least 1/2” of snow (my location). That’s a 100 percent chance, or a probability of 1. Therefore, if there was a probability map that showed probability for snowfall of at least 1/2” I would be in a shaded portion of 100% chance. That would be completely ridiculous. And then that applies to any snowfall probability map, regardless of the accumulation.

1 minute ago, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z EURO for Friday next week.  Surface does not quite get it done....maybe experts could chime in on what they think.

ecmwf-deterministic-conus-z500_anom-3496000.png

Really confused on how that escapes out to sea given the 500mb look at 144. I was expecting a 980mb low over the Del Marva. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I was surprised too ..Yea...its really close verbatim to a nice hit . Maybe 6 or 12  hours in timing 

The airmass isn't cold to start, but we could probably get enough cold on the back end of it bombs. 

And yes it purely escapes due to the timing of the southern stream. The northern stream isn't configured to shred it. Pivotal weather is showing a right entrance region over us at 300mb.

• Like 1

Wrt the op euro the SS and NS missed the phase and a major storm by 6 hours. It was as close as you can get without a major amped solution. And it would have amplified perfectly for us location wise. It was a run that suggests there is a chance.  There have been enough runs with a similar look that it’s at least still a threat, if a long shot one. That’s all it’s worth. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Pretty nice front end event on the Gfs day 11 .

Ninjad by Jiiiiii

Yea each model keeps spitting out a snow solution here or there but it continues to be a random storm with no consistency. Until we see guidance converge on the same discreet event it all remains highly unlikely. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

• H2O unpinned this topic