Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2020 Short/Medium Range Severe Thread

Hoosier

30 minutes ago, madwx said:

Definitely a chance of tornadoes tomorrow in Wisconsin along the warm front 

Just came on to say that SPC upped us to 5%. Worth noting we just passed the 15th anniversary of 8/18/05, which was a fairly subtle warm front setup. Will see if the hurricane remnants to the south throw a wrench in things (big Gulf Coast hurricane was about 10 days away in 2005), but the juice should already be in place up here. Will definitely be keeping a close eye on things tomorrow afternoon.

12Z 3K NAM has a bow echo about to hit us at 00Z Saturday, HRRR has nothing. Gotta love the long-range CAMs.

23 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Perhaps someone more thoroughly versed in atmospheric physics can chime in: Why is Laura not getting yanked up by/merging with the midlatitude s/w trough that presumably is responsible for today and tomorrow's severe threat, the way Cristobal was in June?

Fairly large difference...

[GIF] GFSUS_500_spd_024.png.bfd77c82108c0fc0e0b92367d273869f.png

• Thanks 1

I like tomorrow for some gusty storms along the cold front. Strong mid level winds, seasonably steep lapse rates and well mixed/inverted V profiles below 700mb yield quite a bit of DCAPE and 15-20 degree spreads. Seems like a solid setup if you're looking for some strong downdrafts. Shear vectors relative to the cold front are quite good as well, and may allow for a few supercells with perhaps some hail despite meager SRH and fairly linear hodographs. Tornado threat may exist in Wisconsin where low level shear isn't god awful, but MCS overnight might take care of that.

nam_2020082800_021_42.74--92.68.png

I think we are hosed for later today, the way this line is moving in southern MN with some training/back-building in far northern IA it's not going to clear up here by noon unless it breaks up and dissipates. :sleepy:

*Ironically there are actually some breaks in the clouds now (which I wasn't expecting, as I was expecting the overnight line to be here right now or within the next hour) so maybe it can intensify some and be the main show. Still probably nothing worth chasing.

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Still doesn’t look good.

SPC looking to add to their list of failure.

I agree about there being drawbacks, but it would be helpful to the board if you could give a brief description of why instead of these one liners.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I agree about there being drawbacks, but it would be helpful to the board if you could give a brief description of why instead of these one liners.

rollin' alek style is much easier though.

since you have a gun to my back though... Whichever of the two potential scenarios for today ended up occurring, ENH wasn't gonna pan out around here. Scenario 1 was the overnight/morning MCS cleared out much earlier, allowing for development along the front, with a favored narrow corridor for decent severe in SE MN/SW WI/E IA/NW IL. Scenario 2 is what we are in now, where the morning MCS sustained long enough, with widespread debris and an altered environment across a large area ahead of the front. Either way ENH into the LOT CWA was comical and way too bullish, with it all along looking like a marginal worthy threat around here...and for much of the region as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

rollin' alek style is much easier though.

since you have a gun to my back though... Whichever of the two potential scenarios for today ended up occurring, ENH wasn't gonna pan out around here. Scenario 1 was the overnight/morning MCS cleared out much earlier, allowing for development along the front, with a favored narrow corridor for decent severe in SE MN/SW WI/E IA/NW IL. Scenario 2 is what we are in now, where the morning MCS sustained long enough, with widespread debris and an altered environment across a large area ahead of the front. Either way ENH into the LOT CWA was comical and way too bullish, with it all along looking like a marginal worthy threat around here...and for much of the region as well.

And they dropped the ENH

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

I think you're screwed for like 10 years now.  :(

I'd rather have a more general rain or garden variety light storm, anyway.  This afternoon's cells would probably have produced more wind/hail than the small amount of rain was worth.  I don't have my fence to shelter the plants anymore.

20 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Man, we just can't buy a decent storm around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

In all seriousness was hoping we could get a decent rain out of this event.  There is a cell heading this way, but the overall trend is naso good.

Yep, the cells are now petering out, so very few locations will get anything from this.