• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020 Short/Medium Range Severe Thread

Hoosier

SPC removed most of north IL from the day 2 threat.  Euro and RGEM both continue to develop some precip over the area, so I guess we'll have to see how things evolve.  
I'm completely baffled by that outlook. The ECMWF has had CI over northwest/north central IL every run since at least Friday. And SPC took general thunder out from that area. It makes no sense.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, geddyweather said:

That D2 outlook is one of the goofier updates I've seen lately. Went from localized in the OH Valley to almost 5 whole states completely covered in SLGT including basically all of the lower/mid Appalachians... 

yeah not sure why Northern Illinois was basically completely removed.  HREF probs look pretty good for storms in the area and there will be a front moving through at peak heating.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madwx said:

yeah not sure why Northern Illinois was basically completely removed.  HREF probs look pretty good for storms in the area and there will be a front moving through at peak heating.

I forgot to even touch on that lol. But definitely need *something* out that way. I was prepared to see some expansion of the risk area, but what they did was not what I (or really anyone apparently) had in mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

I'm completely baffled by that outlook. The ECMWF has had CI over northwest/north central IL every run since at least Friday. And SPC took general thunder out from that area. It makes no sense.

Good to know you guys are just as confused. I would love to know what Goss looked at because nearly none of the models look that way both in lack of storms for your area or a massive area deemed for a SLGT.

• Like 2

Good to know you guys are just as confused. I would love to know what Goss looked at because nearly none of the models look that way both in lack of storms for your area or a massive area deemed for a SLGT.
The thinking for our area is that the biggest concern is the strong capping that could potentially hold. However, the conditional threat is rather high given how steep the lapse rates are along with more than sufficient bulk shear. We routinely get marginal or even slight risks in this sort of scenario where strong EML capping is a concern. And then to go farther and remove the general thunder when that's always broad brushed while several models not just the Euro show CI in the area it was removed from is an even bigger head scratcher.

The Euro has had essentially the same scenario for 4 days in a row, which doesn't necessarily mean it's right, but it hasn't diverged as it's gotten closer to the event. Considering that the Euro typically does quite well with temperatures, dew points and thus instability in this area, I'm not sure why it was completely discounted by Goss. What makes it tough is that the outlook text doesn't even explain why the change was made, plus the fact that within marginal or slight risk categories the SPC never collaborates proactively with the WFOs. We have to chat them to get feedback about how the outlook may look.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Skilling mentioned this possible threat several days ago.   Was concerned about the system's amplitude.

I do wish we had better mid level lapse rates in the warm sector.  They sort of lag behind more in the post frontal regime.  That being said, could have enough favorable factors come together for at least some threat.

Surprise for April 25 here in sw IN

Time        Location    County    State    Lat    Lon    Comments
1825        5 NNW MOUNT VERNON    POSEY    IN    3800    8792    LATE REPORT. BRIEF TOUCHDOWN NORTHWEST OF MOUNT VERNON NEAR COPPERLINE ROAD AND BASE ROAD INTERSECTION. (PAH)

Tue looks like a marginal-slight worthy risk for areas near/south of I-80 in IA/IL/IN.

Beyond that, I had been mentioning elsewhere for a while now that severe chances would likely increase for the Plains/Midwest for first weekend of May into the first week of May...and we have now been consistently seeing signs on longer range guidance that will likely be the case. 

20 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Tue looks like a marginal-slight worthy risk for areas near/south of I-80 in IA/IL/IN.

Beyond that, I had been mentioning elsewhere for a while now that severe chances would likely increase for the Plains/Midwest for first weekend of May into the first week of May...and we have now been consistently seeing signs on longer range guidance that will likely be the case. 

ring of fire pattern....please?

2 hours ago, Indystorm said:

Hmm.....refcmp.us_mw.png

Sleeper setup that could be alright if moisture/thermos are there. Nothing high end and there's a ton of uncertainty regarding convective evolution, but these tight surface lows kind of have a hot hand in 2020. I'll be keeping a half eye on it for potentially a local chase Tuesday.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yoda said:

5% tor in IL/SE IA/NE MO in new day 2

...CENTRAL PLAINS/OZARKS INTO THE MID MISSISSIPPI VALLEY AND  
MIDWEST...  
LATEST GUIDANCE HAS COME INTO BETTER AGREEMENT WITH THE EVOLUTION OF  
THE SURFACE LOW AND POTENTIAL FOR MORE ROBUST INSTABILITY TO DEVELOP  
ACROSS PARTS OF THE MID MS VALLEY BY TUESDAY AFTERNOON. BOTH  
LOW-LEVEL FLOW AND SHEAR SHOULD BE SOMEWHAT STRONGER ACROSS THIS  
REGION COMPARED TO LOCATIONS FARTHER SOUTH. AT LEAST SEMI-DISCRETE  
SUPERCELLS APPEAR PROBABLE FROM PORTIONS OF SOUTHEASTERN IA INTO  
NORTHERN/CENTRAL MO AND IL. AT LEAST ISOLATED LARGE HAIL MAY OCCUR,  
ALONG WITH SOME DAMAGING WINDS IF STORMS CAN GROW UPSCALE INTO ONE  
OR MORE SMALL CLUSTERS. A FEW TORNADOES ALSO APPEAR POSSIBLE FROM  
LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY EVENING ALONG/SOUTH OF THE WARM  
FRONT GIVEN A FAVORABLE STORM MODE AND SUFFICIENT LOW-LEVEL SHEAR.  
BY LATE TUESDAY EVENING INTO THE OVERNIGHT HOURS, STORMS SHOULD  
WEAKEN AS THEY ENCOUNTER A LESS UNSTABLE AIRMASS OVER PARTS OF THE  
MID-SOUTH AND WESTERN KY/IN.  

swody2_categorical.png

swody2_tornadoprob.png

...Midwest...

Strong large-scale forcing for ascent will spread into the mid-MS
   Valley region Tuesday afternoon as exit region of upper jet shifts
   across IA. Diffluent high-level flow should overspread this region
   which should aid scattered thunderstorms ahead of the front from MO,
   north to near the surface low. Latest short-range model
   guidance/CAMs are fairly aggressive in developing scattered deep
   convection, possibly supercellular, within an increasingly sheared
   regime. While low-level moisture is initially a bit dry, rapid
   boundary-layer moistening is expected across MO into IL ahead of the
   wind shift. This should allow substantial buoyancy to evolve that
   would support potentially organized supercells. Large hail, damaging
   winds, and a few tornadoes are possible with pre-frontal supercells.