Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2020 disc/obs

Torch Tiger

12 minutes ago, radarman said:

My healthy 45 y/o cousin also got babeseosis from a tick bite on the cape maybe 4 years ago? 

I had Babeseois way back in the early 90s , spent a week in the hospital,  had to have an IV port with treatment for 90 days. A 105 fever in the hospital, literally slept in a fetal position for 72 hours. 2 kids died from tick bites that weekend I was admitted at South County hospital. My coworker was given last rites until a Doctor correctly diagnosed Babesiosis.  I am not surprised the Doctor said he had never seen it in the USA. There was a major suppression of Lyme by the CDC and AMA. Many Doctors were ostracized in the 90s .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

It gon snow

Maybe. Up here, I could be 50’s and sunny with surface high over head... First look is —NAO appears significant (not marginal) so snow chances may be more in the areas that are most challenged with climo right now—northern mid Atlantic and   Southern portions of SNE. 

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I honestly had no idea they were out already in the northern Vermont hills.  Fukkin’ crazy.  

I've attracted ticks in mid-late November while deer hunting, though usually with no snow on the ground, and it was last Oct 30 at the midcoast when I briefly hosted 26 of the little horrors including 3 of the tiny nymphs discovered that evening.  Fortunately I've yet to provide a good drink for one of them, unlike yours which looked pretty engorged.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Its possible.  They can have ticks on the fur but they won't bite. We are extra careful because 2 of our dogs are allergic to the Lyme preventative shot. My yard being fenced in helps as other critters like deer can't come prancing in. I know tics hide in leaf matter but I do wonder if the lack of snow this year was in our favor.  Next door neighbor has Guinea hens too and that's gotta help some.

Fine for deer but small rodents (mice/voles)may be even more important as vectors and the spray may not be able to de-tick them.  I've read that one can put "traps" around one's yard - edge of woods preferable.  Those traps are homemade, using cotton batting (or dryer lint, cheaper) with permethrin mixed in, then stuffed into cardboard tubes - TP centers work well, or paper towel cores cut in 2-3 pieces.  Placed under a board so not ruined by rain, the material is eagerly collected by the tiny furbies as tick-killer nest material.  Need to place them at about 10-ft intervals, and check weekly to see if they've been emptied.  

Interior folks hitting their season averages. 

Would need another 20"+, not impossible but very unlikely.

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

Big -NAO incoming. Just in time for spring... :gun_bandana:

Hopefully confluence is significant enough to send the doors down to ACY/Maryland —can make for pretty nice weather up here, if this pattern wants to lock in, in early April. 

I was a few weeks too early with it...ugh. Will probably cost me seasonal snowfall verification south of NNE.

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

Standard of care with a tic bite.  Smowman21 mentioned the same treatment when he had it.

I’m lucky my father is a retired Emergency Room physician from Albany Med and can still prescribe.  Sent him that photo and now have two weeks of Doxycycline to take.  Like you, he said that’s the standard practice, a 10-14 day regimen of antibiotic.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Fine for deer but small rodents (mice/voles)may be even more important as vectors and the spray may not be able to de-tick them.  I've read that one can put "traps" around one's yard - edge of woods preferable.  Those traps are homemade, using cotton batting (or dryer lint, cheaper) with permethrin mixed in, then stuffed into cardboard tubes - TP centers work well, or paper towel cores cut in 2-3 pieces.  Placed under a board so not ruined by rain, the material is eagerly collected by the tiny furbies as tick-killer nest material.  Need to place them at about 10-ft intervals, and check weekly to see if they've been emptied.  

http://jobs.isirc.gie.net/newsletter/click?pubId=1&hyperlinkId=199440&productSendId=E1E98D8.

Interesting article above.  One may be able to find a certified tick-box installer to help with the small rodents which are often carriers.  

44 minutes ago, tamarack said:

My yard is surrounded by tall grass and plants between the edge of the mowed are and the edge of the woods.   We rarely have tick issues and one of the reasons that I've speculated is the job our cat does on the rodent population.  There are a couple of other cats that roam the area as well.  We don't have mice and I don't even see a lot of them in my shed.   

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I honestly had no idea they were out already in the northern Vermont hills.  Fukkin’ crazy.  

Wow...I didn't think ticks existed in the N VT hills. Global warming FTL? 

I was under the assumption that they were pretty much a SNE problem except for maybe the warmer valleys like the Champlain and CT River along with the ME and NH coastlines. I haven't gotten one yet here...

9 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

I was under the assumption that they were pretty much a SNE problem except for maybe the warmer valleys like the Champlain and CT River along with the ME and NH coastlines. I haven't gotten one yet here...

I've found them in Central NH, but I've never found one on me when I've been way up in Pittsburg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

They've been here every summer in the past decade I've lived up here.  I do remember the vet telling me that we need to give the dog the anti-tick medication straight through December and start up again in March.  I always thought it seemed excessive but don't believe that anymore for sure.

I mean there's still patchy snow/ice cover in the woods around here even in the valley (aside from the now 3-5" that's still left from the last storm).  It's 100% snow cover from like 1,200ft and higher too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

My yard is surrounded by tall grass and plants between the edge of the mowed are and the edge of the woods.   We rarely have tick issues and one of the reasons that I've speculated is the job our cat does on the rodent population.  There are a couple of other cats that roam the area as well.  We don't have mice and I don't even see a lot of them in my shed.   

We haven't had mice in a couple of years. Fisher cats,red tail hawks, foxes galore.

5 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

http://jobs.isirc.gie.net/newsletter/click?pubId=1&hyperlinkId=199440&productSendId=E1E98D8.

Interesting article above.  One may be able to find a certified tick-box installer to help with the small rodents which are often carriers.  

Thanks.  Read the article and it didn't change my thinking that there is no silver bullet.  I mentioned the tube method mainly because of its DIY potential; I've made no attempt to employ it at my place in the woods.  The small rodent population is massive here.   Also, I wonder if results would've been different in our area, where chipmunks are present but not abundant and red-backed voles are much the most abundant small rodent.  We also have several mouse species.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

We haven't had mice in a couple of years. Fisher cats,red tail hawks, foxes galore.

We've got lots of coyotes plus a few foxes, several species of owl, broadwing and other hawks, two types of weasel and some bobcats and fisher.  However, about 99% of the acreage around here is excellent small rodent habitat with lots of shelter areas, so I think the predators eat well but don't have much impact on overall prey numbers.  A cold and (near) snowless winter might change that temporarily, but I'd rather not see one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

We've got lots of coyotes plus a few foxes, several species of owl, broadwing and other hawks, two types of weasel and some bobcats and fisher.  However, about 99% of the acreage around here is excellent small rodent habitat with lots of shelter areas, so I think the predators eat well but don't have much impact on overall prey numbers.  A cold and (near) snowless winter might change that temporarily, but I'd rather not see one.

It is weird how wildlife comes and goes in cycles.  
Lots of hawks, owls, fishers, foxes.    Chipmunks are hard to find lately.  Rabbits ebb and flow.  I have never seen a bobcat but my wife and daughter saw two in our yard around a year ago. 
coyotes used to be pretty routine but rare here now it seems. 

we had a bear rip off a light fixture off the back of our house a week or so ago trying to get to a bird feeder. 

42 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It is weird how wildlife comes and goes in cycles.  
Lots of hawks, owls, fishers, foxes.    Chipmunks are hard to find lately.  Rabbits ebb and flow.  I have never seen a bobcat but my wife and daughter saw two in our yard around a year ago. 
coyotes used to be pretty routine but rare here now it seems. 

we had a bear rip off a light fixture off the back of our house a week or so ago trying to get to a bird feeder. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timescall.com/2020/03/24/officials-unsure-of-coronavirus-sheltering-effects-on-boulder-county-wildlife/amp/

• Haha 1