Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2020 disc/obs

Torch Tiger

22 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Forsythia are starting to come out. Unreal.

Hearing stuff like that makes me wish, strongly, for some spells of normal to slightly BN temps.  Another reason I despised 2010 was that the unrelenting run of AN temps resulted in plant phenology being a month-plus earlier than average.  Then it all crashed and burned on May 11 when the temp dropped to 23, with mid 20s on the 12th and 13th.  Apple blossoms, normally opening in late May, had been in full form and got totally smoked.  All shoots on ash and oak died and some on maples (1st frost-kill I've seen on maple), forcing those trees to re-set buds and start over, kind of like they'd been hammered by gypsy moth caterpillars.  For the fruit trees (and the local bumblebees that love apple blossoms) it was a barren season.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

? My brother lives in Reno own a farm in California,  they get thunderstorms all the time 

the mentioning of accumulating hail. 

I want to visit Reno one day. Perhaps b/c it's one of the locations I forecast for, but the weather there really fascinates me. I think it was last winter but I remember one day when they had a winter weather event there was like a several inch difference between what was measured at RNO and what was measured at the NWS. 

First measurable SN this month, 0.1".  :weenie:  
Cocorahs from Temple, next town NW from Farmington, reported 1.4".  That obs site is listed at 1,224' elev, mine's at 392'.   The "plateau" section of Mile Hill had Rt 27snow covered, at about 800' - looked slippery but I tried not to find out.

• Weenie 2

Has anyone ever been to this part of TX? 

I wonder if that would be awesome chase territory...rather small population, outside of I'm guessing views of mountains in the distance it's gotta be pretty flat and there must be like no traffic. I feel like dry line chasing is the way to go...like forget the chaster convergence in the Plains. 

image.thumb.png.1b594682f42df6ecfa4817d46511f119.png

26 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Has anyone ever been to this part of TX? 

I wonder if that would be awesome chase territory...rather small population, outside of I'm guessing views of mountains in the distance it's gotta be pretty flat and there must be like no traffic. I feel like dry line chasing is the way to go...like forget the chaster convergence in the Plains. 

image.thumb.png.1b594682f42df6ecfa4817d46511f119.png

Very open views there....esp up in the Midland to Lubbock area and you can extend it into Panhandle area around Amarillo. Once you get into that southern zone, it can be a bit hilly....like from San Angelo southwest toward Fort Stockton.

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Very open views there....esp up in the Midland to Lubbock area and you can extend it into Panhandle area around Amarillo. Once you get into that southern zone, it can be a bit hilly....like from San Angelo southwest toward Fort Stockton.

SWEET!!

I don't think I can make that happen this year but I think next year I'm going to schedule vacation earlier in the spring and catch the beginning dry line season.

That's going to be some blizzard in the Plains next week. Going to be quite the dynamic system. Actually too...very similar to the exact date last year in which there was a high impact system...widespread t'storms and severe wx in the south and the significant blizzard across CO/WY and central Plains. Large stretches of major highways closed for 2-3 days

Watching the news today I was noticing that the cherry trees are in bloom around the White House.  Nice 73F day down there.  The park service revised the cherry blossom bloom dates to March 21-24th.  That's quite early.   Hope the south doesn't get a late season cold wave that damages fruit trees that are all opening earlier than normal.

On another note the mud season around my area of NH doesn't seem too bad this year.  Have not been out today since the .80" of rain we just had but the lack of precipitation these past few weeks and warm temperatures have helped it seems.