• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2020 disc/obs

Torch Tiger

There's no green grass to be had in this Stamford. I list Heartwellville (a section of NW Readsboro) as my location since it's the closest CDP, but I'm technically in the town of Stamford just west of the town line with Readsboro. It's kind of weird since I have a Readsboro mailing address, zip code, and phone number, but my taxes go to Stamford. 

Anyway, there's still 15" at the stake. Some of the shady spots are about 20". The sunnier southern exposures are definitely thinner though and the rocks are now exposed there as they absorb and retain heat much better than the ground does. 

We are definitely about a full month ahead of schedule compared to last year and about a month and a half ahead of 2018. I may have totally bare ground by the 1st of April this year.

89035752_2595966147181392_5967279032503369728_o.jpg

89260052_2595966417181365_3368538821573476352_o.jpg

89352382_2595966430514697_5896444911439314944_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

There's no green grass to be had in this Stamford. I list Heartwellville (a section of NW Readsboro) as my location since it's the closest CDP, but I'm technically in the town of Stamford just west of the town line with Readsboro. It's kind of weird since I have a Readsboro mailing address, zip code, and phone number, but my taxes go to Stamford. 

Anyway, there's still 15" at the stake. Some of the shady spots are about 20". The sunnier southern exposures are definitely thinner though and the rocks are now exposed there as they absorb and retain heat much better than the ground does. 

We are definitely about a full month ahead of schedule compared to last year and about a month and a half ahead of 2018. I may have totally bare ground by the 1st of April this year.

89035752_2595966147181392_5967279032503369728_o.jpg

89260052_2595966417181365_3368538821573476352_o.jpg

89352382_2595966430514697_5896444911439314944_o.jpg

AEBGAYT

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It may be close to top 3 in BDL..but agree I don't know if that will happen. It has to be what, +6.9 to match the 3rd warmest?  I think we could if we get ridging at the end of the month, but it becomes harder as Will said. 

They’re acting like I’m nuts and there’s no chance . I think it’s 70/30

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It may be close to top 3 in BDL..but agree I don't know if that will happen. It has to be what, +6.9 to match the 3rd warmest?  I think we could if we get ridging at the end of the month, but it becomes harder as Will said. 

Need 45.7 to get 3rd place at BDL. That’s +9. 

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I see 37.8 on NOWDATA as avg temp for 81-10. Where did you see +9?

You’re right. I was looking at 36.7 for 2019. Not the mean. Departure was -1.2 so that’s 37.9. (37.8 if there’s a rounding figure in there)

Still, +7.8 to +7.9 is gonna be nearly impossible with the dent that gets put in next week. 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You’re right. I was looking at 36.7 for 2019. Not the mean. Departure was -1.2 so that’s 37.9. (37.8 if there’s a rounding figure in there)

Still, +7.8 to +7.9 is gonna be nearly impossible with the dent that gets put in next week. 

I had to edit earlier because I subtracted wrong, so that makes 7.9 awfully difficult to beat. Agree.

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

What I would watch for are the overnight lows. BDL could legit see 45 for lows all of next week 

I don’t see that at all with that Scooter high to start the week and then possible another traversing north of us later in the week. If anything, I see large diurnal swings on days like Monday and Tuesday where the lows might be below normal. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don’t see that at all with that Scooter high to start the week and then possible another traversing north of us later in the week. If anything, I see large diurnal swings on days like Monday and Tuesday where the lows might be below normal. 

I kinda forgot about that cold shot end of weekend...Sunday night actually could get quite cold. Monday night we’ll see how quickly clouds work in. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wanna double it up? No more accumulating snow ? Or did you finally admit defeat on that one?

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

In the last 10 years I've owned this property I've seen March 'sythia buds 7 times

It's interesting that your average bloom date is in March.  I was driving through one street and I was shocked to see one in the valley that had flowers yesterday.  The thing is that none of the others in the area did or even had bud swelling.  It's either an outlier or a different cultivar from everything else in the area.  My average bloom time since 2002 is 4/18 so I'm wondering if you have the same cultivar.  Do other forsythias in the area bloom at the same time?

31 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

It's interesting that your average bloom date is in March.  I was driving through one street and I was shocked to see one in the valley that had flowers yesterday.  The thing is that none of the others in the area did or even had bud swelling.  It's either an outlier or a different cultivar from everything else in the area.  My average bloom time since 2002 is 4/18 so I'm wondering if you have the same cultivar.  Do other forsythias in the area bloom at the same time?

I've wondered this too. Either that, or the fact that some of them are sun-kissed.

4 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Well... I didn't say 'average' in terms of total - but yeah, 10 years

38 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Well... I didn't say 'average' in terms of total - but yeah, 10 years

Correct, by you did say 7 out of 10 have been in March and my date is well into April which prompted my question wondering if the cultivar that you have is the same one I saw in bloom yesterday.  Nothing else is even close here so yeah, just wondering or making an interesting observation.