Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2020 disc/obs

Torch Tiger

57 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

When I look at my top 10 warmest March's, 2012 is on top of course but the next 4 aren't even 2002.  2010, 2000, 2016 and 1991 all come next.  This week has had a few warm days but things look more normal by this weekend.

Number 2 here since moving in May 1998; as March 2010 was 0.64° milder. At Farmington 2012 is #6, but trails only 2010 (0.98° milder) since the obs site was moved out of the built-up area of town in 1966. 

Snow at the stake down to 13" this morning as yesterday's dry and mostly cloudy 40s couldn't touch the armorplate.  We'll have a snowy lawn at the equinox, but barring some cold and/or snow this month will be the 7th March of 22 in which continuous snow cover failed to last into April. 

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

They laughed when we said #2. Sister of 2012. They aren’t laughing anymore. Or posting 

Wait, you actually still believe this? I figured you would’ve dropped the comparison by now since it’s becoming even less likely mathematically. 

Just now, WinterWolf said:

BS in Tolland still trying to twist and Spin lol.

I mean, I get that it’s a torch month...but it’s not 2012 and probably won’t be even close. Something like a +6 like 2016 would actually not quite make the top 10. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I have greening, weeds, and flowers coming up. Earliest I’ve seen since moving here in 2013. 

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

My water lilies broke through,  only thing up so far.

Crocus have been blooming by my back door all week.  Daffodils in my yard have buds and there are some blooming in Norwich already.  Have also seen frogs hopping across the road during a couple of the recent, warm, rainy evenings.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yes. This will be 2nd or maybe 3rd warmest Morch on record in SNE. I’m not sure how one could even debate that ?

Probably because of mathematics? I don’t think you actually understand how hard it is to maintain +10 or something close to it. We barely just achieved that in the first 10 days with some epic torch days.

We’re gonna be pretty meh for a large chunk of this weekend and next week...that’s gonna erode the departures back and then it gets harder to make them up the deeper you get into the month. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Probably because of mathematics? I don’t think you actually understand how hard it is to maintain +10 or something close to it. We barely just achieved that in the first 10 days with some epic torch days.

We’re gonna be pretty meh for a large chunk of this weekend and next week...that’s gonna erode the departures back and then it gets harder to make them up the deeper you get into the month. 

From mid week into weekend it’s 65-70 next week. Even if Sunday and Monday come out normal. We’ll add to it next week 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I tried to explain this ... 

Altho I'm inclined to replace "meh for a large chunk of this weekend' with annoyingly cold and a big piece of shit... but that's cause I hate futility chill in spring with a particularly fervency. 

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

From mid week into weekend it’s 65-70 next week. Even if Sunday and Monday come out normal. We’ll add to it next week 

dude, you just made his logical case! 

Normals is like mid 40s tops... how the f are you gonna through mid 40s into the paint without tainting it toward cooler colors...   

wow

In any case... it'll come down to offsets - naturally ... 

Whatever cold there is needs to have double the hot in terms of absolute magnitude or you don't total/n-terms...  and Will's right, that's going to be harder if we dilute this weekend... 

Heh ...not that +5 to +7 is any less repulsive to the cold weather enthusiasts..

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

dude, you just made his logical case! 

Normals is like mid 40s tops... how the f are you gonna through mid 40s into the paint without tainting it toward cooler colors...   

wow

You are going to come down. Who said differently? You’ll come right back up next week. Try and follow along please. I know your’re emotional with the corona scare, but man up here 

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Why would you think that they are cumulative?

Let's say you have 10 days that are +10 departure.  That's an average of +10.  If the next 5 are 0, you now have 15 days or 100/15 which is now +6.  If you have another 10 days of +10 you now have 25 days or 200/25 which is 8.  Add in another 5 days at 0 and you have 30 days or 200/30 and an average temp of +6.6.  So even if most of the month is +10 which as Will stated is hard to maintain, you're not averaging +10 for the month to make it warmer than 2012.

I don’t think you’ll get through to Kevin on the math/statistics of it. 

How about this...friendly wager Kevin...if we finish top 3 at BDL (I assume this is what you are using since ORH and BOS do not have 2012 as their warmest), I’ll pick up your tab at next GTG we both attend. If not, you pick up mine. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with Kevin this ends up being too 3. Next week we’re going to add on to the departures...not just from highs but lows. Looks like much of next week could feature lows that are at least +5 to +10 and perhaps as much as +15. 

I guess we’ll have to see what happens during the second half of the month but I see ridging holding firm 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don’t think you’ll get through to Kevin on the math/statistics of it. 

How about this...friendly wager Kevin...if we finish top 3 at BDL (I assume this is what you are using since ORH and BOS do not have 2012 as their warmest), I’ll pick up your tab at next GTG we both attend. If not, you pick up mine. 

Done 

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I mean, I get that it’s a torch month...but it’s not 2012 and probably won’t be even close. Something like a +6 like 2016 would actually not quite make the top 10. 

Would not mind another 2012 near as much as repeating 2010, which I see as the more likely (though still low) outcome here.  At least 2012 was interesting - 5.5" snow on the 1st and 85% of avg March snow, -10 on the 6th, a week of record-smashing summer right after the Ides,  accum snow end of month including the month's 5th day staying under 32, 11 days with BN temps.  In contrast, 2010 never got past mid 60s, never got down to 10 much less subzero, had 0.6" total snow in 4 "events" and only 3 BN-temp days.  Also very wet, 3.5 times as much precip as 3/12.  I'd take warm sun over wet meh any time.