Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2020 disc/obs

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s hands down the worst winter ORH to BOS and south since 88-89. And locally here. Worse 

I mean, temperatures from one station at that level and it might be an outlier...but top #1 and #2 warmest so far in 2020 at the big 4, that’s unanimous. 

Warm winter.  It has felt like it.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I hate this time of year. But there was next to zero chance that front was staying over CAR.

guidance had been toying with the notion for days leading ... 

my experience in New England over the last 35 years is if that is ever the case, the boundary ends up in Miami with 10 feet of cold mist as punishment for the impertinent muse of wondering if it might stay warm...

How about that D10 on the Euro for warm weather enthusiasts... 

The model ( like the GGEM...) is/are both playing into their respective tendencies to bias on the side of curved flow structures in that range (likely), blazing full on spring+ ... having negated any cold evolution off the foreground -EPO.

This was hinted yesterday and I mentioned it... and the 00z guidance really went double down.  

Man, several days ago I back peddled on the ides of March as having a shot but it just seems the -EPO will came and go and the pattern may just decay without ever seeing it modulate into even a transient +PNAP which is more typically what happens post a neggie EPO loading in winter.  Only ...it's not winter ...hm.   

I think those GFS cold shots are an artifice of progressive flow causing too much confluence in Canada ...and is thus also playing into its own bias to be stretched in the farther ranges.  probably need to pull the Euro back and the GFS and we end up annoying which is what is typical of Asspril

18 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

56° F for the high today. The melt continues. :cry:

Meanwhile it's a glorious 22° F in Fort Kent, ME with a WWA for 2-4" of snow and some freezing rain. Wish we were there. 

What's up in the crown of Maine as I've heard it called? Never been up in "The County" so I've always wondered about it. Some utopian Oz-like metropolis? I've been as far up as Baxter State Park area.

Aroostook (The County" is 6,400 square miles, larger than CT+RI, and any area of that size will have many characteristics.  My impressions, from living there 10 years and many subsequent work visits:

South, basically S and E of I-95:  Resembles Downeast Maine - soils, topography, timber types - more than it does the rest of Aroostook.

East, the US 1 corridor and nearby:  Midwest vibe, due the high proportion of farmland.  Potatoes are no longer king (still crown prince) with increasing acres in broccoli and other crucifers, and small grains.  Best place in Maine, perhaps the Northeast, to experience ground blizzard whiteouts.

North/Northeast, the St. John Valley:  Francophone country, with many/most having French (North American version, sneered at by Parisians) as their first language.  Allagash Village is the exception, as it was settled by Scotch/Irish folks who had previously emigrated to Nova Scotia.  Very picturesque mix of farms and forest.

West/Northwest:  4 million acres of commercial forest and unspoiled lakes/streams, probably the largest private (mostly) tract of forest land w/o public roads in the lower 48.  One of very few places in the L-48 which can host a 250-mile dogsled race.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Next week is going to be pretty wild across a large part of the country...should see a fairly high impact storm with significant snows in the west and severe weather in the south. 

And more boring sh*t here lol.  Although yesterday was just stellar..I'll take more of that please.