Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2020 disc/obs

Torch Tiger

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What’s with all the sand they dump everywhere here? There’s sand ground blizzards today . Face a scar pelted numerous times. I didn’t think anyone used sand anymore due to the environment. It’s everywhere 

They use a sand/salt mix on 95, ME Tpke Authorithy is all salt,  Lew does the same, Sand/salt mix

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Only pack I saw was Dixmont . Would love to but heading to Goodfire Brewing now. Staying in Portland tonight 

Whattya the whole New England Regional Rep or something? Driving around kingdom come lately like N of Pike chasing milfs and a couple mountain flurries. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What’s with all the sand they dump everywhere here? There’s sand ground blizzards today . Face a scar pelted numerous times. I didn’t think anyone used sand anymore due to the environment. It’s everywhere 

Many of the new treatments are less or ineffective during very cold periods, which are common across NNE; sand allows for better traction when treatments would not be effective.   Even down here in SNE, some DPW crews have a reserve of sand to use if needed during very cold periods. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

CT stopped sand years ago. I forgot how much I hated it. It’s on every back road, every company ,every college I went to. Sand as far as eye can see

Not completely; maybe state DOT, but I have several DPW crews that have used it when bitter cold periods were in play; used quite a bit Jan/Feb 2015.

2 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Many of the new treatments are less or ineffective during very cold periods, which are common across NNE; sand allows for better traction when treatments would not be effective.   Even down here in SNE, some DPW crews have a reserve of sand to use if needed during very cold periods. 

I knew it helped.l with traction. But I thought most got away from sand due to the environment issues it causes. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

CT stopped sand years ago. I forgot how much I hated it. It’s on every back road, every company ,every college I went to. Sand as far as eye can see

Its because its cheap or free and we have a tons upon tons of it, Pittsfield is the capitol with Cianbro who started in the Sand & Gravel business.

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I knew it helped.l with traction. But I thought most got away from sand due to the environment issues it causes. 

Sodium Chloride (salt) is more environmentally unfriendly then sand, Calcium is next as it will eat your car frame as well as fuel and brake lines, Besides the fact that from about 5°F or below, Salt is useless on roadways hence the mix with sand.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Its because its cheap or free and we have a tons upon tons of it, Pittsfield is the capitol with Cianbro who started in the Sand & Gravel business.

The funny thing though when they used to use it in CT , it was red clay sand. And cars kicked it off to side I feuss and / or they’d be dumping it during storms and come along and plow it right off . I never understood that . And then there’s the whole street sweep cleanup of it in spring.

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The funny thing though when they used to use it in CT , it was red clay sand. And cars kicked it off to side I feuss and / or they’d be dumping it during storms and come along and plow it right off . I never understood that . And then there’s the whole street sweep cleanup of it in spring.

Sand products up here are not clay based but it will sandblast your vehicle's paint and windshields..........lol

Off topic of this exhilarating discussion about road treatment options, check out these Mount Washington obs from today so far. They obviously have a great reputation for strong winds but don't recall seeing winds of this magnitude for a bit. Blue Hill reporting gusts near 50kts.

KMWN 041947Z 28087G96KT 0000 -SHSN FZFG BLSN VV000 M11/M11 RMK PK WND 280105/26 VRY LGT ICG
KMWN 041851Z 28084G92KT 0000 -SHSN FZFG BLSN VV000 M11/M11 RMK PK WND 280105/00 VRY LGT ICG
KMWN 041747Z 28081G92KT 0000 -SHSN FZFG BLSN VV000 M11/M11 RMK PK WND 280106/08 LGT ICG 60017 4/020 931008 11084 21112
KMWN 041554Z 28088G101KT 0000 -SHSN FZFG BLSN VV000 M10/M10 RMK PK WND 280113/15 LGT ICG
KMWN 041452Z 27088G102KT 0SM -SHSN FZFG BLSN VV000 M09/M09 RMK PK WND 270116/09 LGT ICG
KMWN 041347Z 27085G102KT 0000 -SHSN FZFG BLSN VV000 M09/M09 RMK PK WND 280112/1256 LGT ICG

KMWN 041247Z 28089G100KT 0SM -SHSN FZFG BLSN VV000 M09/M09 RMK PK WND 270106/45 SNE20SHSNB20 LGT ICG
KMWN 041154Z 28084G100KT 0000 -SN FZFG BLSN VV000 M09/M09 RMK PK WND 260108/43 LGT ICG 60030 70047 4/020 931015 11015 21087

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Stafford still uses it...I think Union too.  With this winter there hasn't been much need for it but I know this past spring they still sweep the sand off the side of the road.

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Only pack I saw was Dixmont . Would love to but heading to Goodfire Brewing now. Staying in Portland tonight 

You can tell them you know where to get maple syrup if they are looking to make some maple brews...lol

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Sodium Chloride (salt) is more environmentally unfriendly then sand, Calcium is next as it will eat your car frame as well as fuel and brake lines, Besides the fact that from about 5°F or below, Salt is useless on roadways hence the mix with sand.

It’s non haz, recognized as a GRAS substance, but becomes corrosive to metal when wet. And though it is not EPA regulated, it does possess dangers if water supplies are contaminated. Sand is safer and friendlier, agree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s non haz, recognized as a GRAS substance, but becomes corrosive to metal when wet. And though it is not EPA regulated, it does possess dangers if water supplies are contaminated. Sand is safer and friendlier, agree.

And usually any overpasses near brooks/streams etc. very limited salt if any, only sand(most states if not all now, OKAY back to next threat! (lmao)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

At Unity College. Came from Husson. Was on 202 west. I can guarantee Dixmont does well based on the topography and orientation . Gotta be a weenie spot 

Dixmont hills are indeed snow catchers, and other things as well.  In March 1984 the communications towers atop the hill collected 4-6" of ice and many didn't survive.  I think that area also affects the 160s section of I-95 where so many crashes occur.

As for sand vs all salt, if I'm driving during the storm I prefer sand - the liquid salt just makes things more slippery.  If I'm coming 12+ hours after final flakes, the salted road is apt to be a lot nicer. 

In the fwiw department Kelly on NECN saying to stay tuned for later next week due to a "big ticket item" while Bouchard is saying we end up warm and raining most of next week.  To be fair to both they are speaking about two different forecasts. Necn is for New England and Bouchard is more interested in the Boston metro area but they both have their blind spots . Personally I'm in on a significant storm but short of that it's time to move on to the spring projects.