• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2020 disc/obs

Torch Tiger

Why does everyone think this system will be different then the rest of the systems this winter season?  A progressive pattern stays that way until it finally fully breaks down.  The breakdown doesn't occur before this system does, so why the change?  Why do we expect different results with the same pattern?

• Weenie 7

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Why does everyone think this system will be different then the rest of the systems this winter season?  A progressive pattern stays that way until it finally fully breaks down.  The breakdown doesn't occur before this system does, so why the change?  Why do we expect different results with the same pattern?

How many cutters have we had this year? I'm pretty sure I had an inch of rain under a week ago. You can still get snowstorms in progressive patterns. Just don't expect anything long duration. And sometimes you get breaks in the progressiveness that allows for something more substantial...just like how we get thaws and cutters even in epic seasons.

If anyone has any question ...the reason the GFS isn't annihilating the upper MA up through eastern NE is purely a function of bi-passed phasing ...more probably owing to it's progressive bias.  But, does have some merit based upon two prognostic philosophies:

1 ... speed contamination is verifying all season and appears to also at minimum be vestigial in this and prior runs.  Trend is a checklist item

2 ... the other guidance' are also showing slip partiality with the capture slow down scenario. The 00z Euro was the most proficient run to date, but the 12z ( pun intended ) slipped toward less by a small measure,  but enough to limit the event to some sort of dubious looking Norlun with the unusual circumstance of having a closed low embedded inside - that's not likely and probably means the solution's in flux..

This run 18z run is ...well, the 18z run of the GFS for one so axe-head that,  but it simply outpaces the northern stream and slips the southern stream and it's associated surface wave partially passed, such that by the time the subsume really takes place the flow is stretched and the capture is way east. Meanwhile, the ridge axis being over the Dakotas during those shenanigans is a red flag that the whole baggage is indeed too stretched and likely to pan west . I'm also noticing there is a tendency across the board to pull the surface pressure contours west in ensemble means some, that usually means there some contention on the western side of the envelope pull the track cluster/mean.

17 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Because the first order of intelligentsia to Meteorologists and informed hobbyists that want to be taken seriously ... is to look at ever situation uniquely. 

Trend is important, but it doesn't dictate the script -

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If anyone has any question ...the reason the GFS isn't annihilating the upper MA up through eastern NE is purely a function of bi-passed phasing ...more probably owing to it's progressive bias.  But, does have some merit based upon two prognostic philosophies:

1 ... speed contamination is verifying all season and appears to also at minimum be vestigial in this and prior runs.  Trend is a checklist item

2 ... the other guidance' are also showing slip partiality with the capture slow down scenario. The 00z Euro was the most proficient run to date, but the 12z ( pun intended ) slipped toward less by a small measure,  but enough to limit the event to some sort of dubious looking Norlun with the unusual circumstance of having a closed low embedded inside - that's not likely and probably means the solution's in flux..

This run 18z run is ...well, the 18z run of the GFS for one so axe-head that,  but it simply outpaces the northern stream and slips the southern stream and it's associated surface wave partially passed, such that by the time the subsume really takes place the flow is stretched and the capture is way east. Meanwhile, the ridge axis being over the Dakotas during those shenanigans is a red flag that the whole baggage is indeed too stretched and likely to pan west . I'm also noticing there is a tendency across the board to pull the surface pressure contours west in ensemble means some, that usually means there some contention on the western side of the envelope pull the track cluster/mean.

John, the 12z euro OP trended away, but the ens mean is what is paramount at this range and that hedged more phased.. albeit still split.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

John, the 12z euro OP trended away, but the ens mean is what is paramount at this range and that hedged more phased.. albeit still split.

Yeah ... I was just helpin' the operational interpretation - word

My opinion hasn't deviate from this morning actually ... the ensemble mean of the EPS is buffer there.  Also, some individual GEF members approached extreme scenarios, while the mean only vaguely deviated - if another couple members add to that, we'll see that shift begin there too.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I like optimistic James better than the pessimistic version.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Too be specific a NORLUN trough is something you should never set your hopes on to bring you accumulating snow in New England.

It’s usually an interim solution too though. We’ll typically see a norlun depicted as a storm trends from OTS to a hit and vice versa.  Here, trend is our friend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, norluns and inverted troughs are usually provisional solutions as guidance attempts to reconcile current solutions with future commitments one way or another.

Yeah you can kind of think of norluns and IVTs as “knife’s edge” solutions. You rarely actually land on a knife’s edge so that’s why they don’t verify that often but we frequently see them on guidance as a trend passes through the knife’s edge solution on the way to a real solution whether it’s a whiff or a hit. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, norluns and inverted troughs are usually provisional solutions as guidance attempts to reconcile current solutions with future commitments one way or another.

It's all empirical, but it seems like the med/long range inverted troughs do tend to verify as a more tucked in closed low whereas the actual inverted troughs start to spring up in the short range. Will would recall better than me, but how many of our inverted troughs have been modeled out for 5-6 days?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's all empirical, but it seems like the med/long range inverted troughs do tend to verify as a more tucked in closed low whereas the actual inverted troughs start to spring up in the short range. Will would recall better than me, but how many of our inverted troughs have been modeled out for 5-6 days?

Yeah I’d agree. It fits in a bit with my post above. We typically see them as transitional solutions on the way to a real storm or a whiff.

Our inverted troughs that actually verify usually don’t show up until inside 3 days. Agreed. 

• Like 3