Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2020 disc/obs

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yup. It’s what some of the level minded folks have been saying all along. Point is, it’s not nude car washing fert applying full spring mode yet. 

This is where i strongly disagree. In fact, I could argue it's the opposite of level minded. When dealing with medium and long-range you can always find something and make a case for whatever it is you're trying to state. There have obviously been two camps these past two months and one of those camps have just been flat out wrong...but to ensure they can't be wrong they just add buffer sentences and statements which just say "but that doesn't mean it will happen" "it may not play out that way" etc. Every single time those who have posted against those EPS pattern signal changes they've been ridiculed. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This is where i strongly disagree. In fact, I could argue it's the opposite of level minded. When dealing with medium and long-range you can always find something and make a case for whatever it is you're trying to state. There have obviously been two camps these past two months and one of those camps have just been flat out wrong...but to ensure they can't be wrong they just add buffer sentences and statements which just say "but that doesn't mean it will happen" "it may not play out that way" etc. Every single time those who have posted against those EPS pattern signal changes they've been ridiculed. 

There have not been two camps at all...there have been like 5....some people are calling for no more accumulating snow and a repeat of March 2012....some are calling for continued somewhat crappy pattern but are not ruling out accumulating snow yet in a few pockets of more favorability....some have called for no relaxation at all in the AO and then got angry at posters who said it would fall.....some have called for a huge flip to colder and snowier....

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There have not been two camps at all...there have been like 5....some people are calling for no more accumulating snow and a repeat of March 2012....some are calling for continued somewhat crappy pattern but are not ruling out accumulating snow yet in a few pockets of more favorability....some have called for no relaxation at all in the AO and then got angry at posters who said it would fall.....some have called for a huge flip to colder and snowier....

Ok, this is a more fair assessment. but to say thinking along a certain way is being level headed is just not correct. Thinking that period could be above-average in terms of temperatures is just as level headed as thinking it could be cooler with a chance for some snow. Are there signals pointing more towards one direction than the other...sure but it's not like those signals are overly strong and a few minor adjustments can result in a pattern that is colder or one that is much warmer 

18 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Ok, this is a more fair assessment. but to say thinking along a certain way is being level headed is just not correct. Thinking that period could be above-average in terms of temperatures is just as level headed as thinking it could be cooler with a chance for some snow. Are there signals pointing more towards one direction than the other...sure but it's not like those signals are overly strong and a few minor adjustments can result in a pattern that is colder or one that is much warmer 

When will there be a level headed SVR discussion?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I think there is just too much hyperbole and people trying to force other posters into a certain "stance".....The large scale pattern isn't good for snow, but sometimes you get "less bad" periods within a crappy pattern that can support snowfall. It's why even in our crappiest stretches, we still usually pull off an event or two.

I'd rather try and point that out than keep posting "woe is me" on the winter....yeah, I get it for snow enthusiasts....an epically terrible stretch since December, but I don't know how many times it can be said before it becomes monotonously repetitive. 

Do I expect snow on 3/7 or 3/11? No I don't....but I also wouldn't be shocked if we got some in those windows. So I'm just here to communicate that so people aren't saying "I thought it was nothing but spring in the forecast!!!1!!1!" if a threat does pop up.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Set blasters on turbo... it is just choking dendrites all the sudden in town.

Wonder if I can clear 10” at home from this event.  8.4” so far and leaving for work.  Will find out later this evening. 

813FD3FD-D605-4F7C-ABF7-FA91E39C5ADB.thumb.jpeg.fbfa029aaa0625b61ff04cb2e13ee611.jpeg

Man I got to tell you again  I have been watching the Euro 7h humidity stream nail you run after run, just an ideal setup for you.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I think there is just too much hyperbole and people trying to force other posters into a certain "stance".....The large scale pattern isn't good for snow, but sometimes you get "less bad" periods within a crappy pattern that can support snowfall. It's why even in our crappiest stretches, we still usually pull off an event or two.

I'd rather try and point that out than keep posting "woe is me" on the winter....yeah, I get it for snow enthusiasts....an epically terrible stretch since December, but I don't know how many times it can be said before it becomes monotonously repetitive. 

Do I expect snow on 3/7 or 3/11? No I don't....but I also wouldn't be shocked if we got some in those windows. So I'm just here to communicate that so people aren't saying "I thought it was nothing but spring in the forecast!!!1!!1!" if a threat does pop up.

I totally agree with this...especially with your first sentence. Part of what's happened too is the winter has just been so bad everyone's emotions are running high and things get a bit chaotic in terms of posting...it's always been that way. Once we usually get a serious threat or are within a favorable regime the tone becomes much different. I have been quite tongue-in-cheek with posting (which is not good) but not sure why really. 

In all honesty I wouldn't discount any more chances for snow and like you said...you don't have to be in a long-term favorable pattern for snow. All you need is a brief stint where the pattern is favorable and hope something works out. Sure it hasn't this winter but even though we're moving towards the spring perhaps some of the changes that occur with wavelengths and responses could end up favoring us. 

We just need something good to pop and change the mood here 

3 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Warm Kevin is my favorite. I used to like waking up in the morning and running to my computer to reads Kevin warm posts during the warm season...was the best part of the day. I would do that before anything else and then I would feel all warm and fuzzy inside and walk around the rest of the day with a big smile on my face. 

I'm legit terrified after this post. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That’s all some of us have been saying. Thanks for clearing the air although it will still fall on deaf ears with a select few. 

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Man I got to tell you again  I have been watching the Euro 7h humidity stream nail you run after run, just an ideal setup for you.

Yeah we’ve been in that moisture plume since yesterday afternoon, just west flow from Ontario. 

This band though is legit.  Might pass 10” within the hour.  20-25+ dbz in lake effect is some pretty nice snowfall.  Snow growth is as you’d expect.  I bet it’s 30:1 ratio stuff right now at 1”+ per hour.

3 hours ago, jbenedet said:

This winter has been most remarkable in its lack of cold air. Numerous significant  “cold” fronts immediately followed by AN temps. This morning I was shocked to see the car therm read 28F at 6a.m. in late February after ~12 hrs of gusty northwesterly winds. 

We've had some very cold mornings this month, but only because our frost pocket site radiates well.  But our coldest afternoon has been around 10° and most winters have some close to or below zero.  OUr longest run of days with max 32 or lower is 7 while most winters have streaks of 10-20+.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Gfs definitely more enthused about the event potential next weekend. Not there obviously... but much better look than 6z

I'll be in N. Maine, so that has a chance at verifying lol.  I actually missed the January 18th event to cuz I was up north.  Not that 3.9" is missing out, but it'll be fitting that I missed both meager events if this one next week works out.  

It was 10 F here a couple weeks ago one morning... I dunno - seems like an impressive cold shot to me. 

In fact, there's no lack of cold air ...it's just not being delivered and/or sustained around or geography.  Just look at the polarity in the Euro at D10... While not a testament as to it's probability of occurrence by any stretch, there is still a vast pooling of sub -20 C 850 mb layout over the Canadian archipelago of the N. 

Nah issues has been the super-structure of the hemispheric flow won't align into a delivery/sustaining scenario - and hasn't really not once all year since mid December, for whatever reason.  

Not all all times..I mean, he have been side-swiped by impressive cold, setting up a couple a good radiational cooling morning ... and those single digit anomalies too place. But, the lack of sustaining is certainly true.