• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2020 Discussion

madwx

Yea.  This system really lacked instability, even down south.  Previous ridge scoured out moisture along the GOM.  First thunder will probably be after the 16th.  The western GOM is progged to have more juice when next LW trough finally lifts out.  The ensambles are showing SW flow developing by then.  The southern plains will definitely light up, but thunder could spread further north and east if a stronger low develops and brings the warm sector up.  Could also end up being a snowstorm for the GL given the uncertainty this time of year though.  Until then it looks like a boring week.

• Weenie 1

0.81" of rain in my yard.

I was looking forward to the first solid rain event since December, but so much of this rain was so light that it was barely noticeable from inside.  It took about twenty hours to get 0.81".  I'd like to skip forward a month or two when heavy rates, with lightning/thunder, are much more common.

• Weenie 2

22 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

0.81" of rain in my yard.

I was looking forward to the first solid rain event since December, but so much of this rain was so light that it was barely noticeable from inside.  It took about twenty hours to get 0.81".  I'd like to skip forward a month or two when heavy rates, with lightning/thunder, are much more common.

Yeah wish we could just skip to May or June.  The fail of 19/20 winter is done.  March is a dud.  Prob gonna have another cold/wussy April like per usual.  Let's just skip to May and June and hope the 2% tor prob days pay off in Iowa like they have in the past 3 yrs.

• Haha 1

After 61 on Sunday was our 1st 60+ since October 29th, we hit 63 yesterday and then stayed in the 50s overnight with high dew points. I have a shaded part of the side of my wide driveway, which gets no sun, and has had some form of a snow pile since November 11th (with exception of a few days after Christmas). It with huge just a week ago, it now completely melted overnight. 

Euro is snowless through Mar. 20. Safe to say winter is over. Sucks that it practically ended as soon as the month began but after yesterday's 62F, I am looking forward to Spring now. :sun:

~53" this winter at YYZ, which is 8" above avg, so no complaints there. 

Pretty much all of our snow is gone at this point. The 62 on Sunday was so nice after a winter that seemed to stretch forever and was very quick at the same time. Yesterday's rain was also pretty nice, well as nice as 40's rain can be. I can notice in some of the sunnier and warmer spots that there is some green in the grass. Helps that thanks to the "heatwave" around christmas grass wasn't that brown to begin with. I am so ready for spring.

• Like 1

Despite what the Euro and GFS are teasing us with temperature-wise, several areas across the region that has reached up into the 60s as the highest temperature so far this year may very well be punting until next month to see the first 70-degree readings. For instance, the last time both Indianapolis and Dayton waited until April for their first 70-degree day of the year was in 2014 while Cincinnati's last time to wait until April for the first 70-degree day was in 2013.

Going to be a second one of those weeks sunshine is hard to come by. This past week would have resulted with a crappy weekend if it weren't for any late morning sunshine, and hopefully the upcoming weekend does not end up worse than last weekend. According to TWC, we may very well be repeating this past January's overcast stretch starting in the final workweek of this month, only that it features days with highs in the 50s and precipitation than during the final January week.

The NWS unfortunately does not count days with a trace as measurable precipitation. The record highest number of days with measurable precipitation in a March is 20 days in 1993 for DAY and CVG, while 2004 for CMH. I think this March's springtime warmth is pretty much a waste that it doesn't deserve to be considered a Morch.

2 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

So it's been snowing pretty much all morning here. We have probably an inch or two on the ground now. We were supposed to get a dusting :angry:. At least the snow is now transtioning to rain so it should all be gone in a few hours.

My reaction exactly. Did not need it to start looking like winter again with this pandemic misery going on. It'll be gone in tomorrow's 59 with rain; but then it will get even colder than it is now for Friday-Sunday.

I know the winter wonderland is some posters' cuppa; but not mine, at least not before Thanksgiving or after about March 10th.