• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
The 2020 Lesco & Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

Their form is like those of the maples but smaller, and no doubles - often there are a few twins that make it to the ground attached.  The asymmetrical shape is like seeds that once were part of a pair, however.  Single samaras like ash have the seed in the middle.  Boxelder?  One of the understory maples, striped/mountain?  What's growing near where you find them?  Those types of seeds usually wind up within 100' or less of the parent unless there are strong winds.  The Dec 1992 monster was just wind in Gardiner, where we lived at the time, and the abundant white ash seeds were everywhere.

Amazing how much thatch can come out of a 2000 square foot lawn that was straight dirt this time last year. Been cutting shorter and shorter, down to less than 1". After detatching last night I have a 40' long pile 12-18" high of debris....and cannot feel my shoulders or back.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Their form is like those of the maples but smaller, and no doubles - often there are a few twins that make it to the ground attached.  The asymmetrical shape is like seeds that once were part of a pair, however.  Single samaras like ash have the seed in the middle.  Boxelder?  One of the understory maples, striped/mountain?  What's growing near where you find them?  Those types of seeds usually wind up within 100' or less of the parent unless there are strong winds.  The Dec 1992 monster was just wind in Gardiner, where we lived at the time, and the abundant white ash seeds were everywhere.

Yeah I’ll have to do some digging on samaras from more obscure acer trees. I’ve seen striped maple seeds (have one in the back woods) and they don’t look like this. Other than striped, boxelder, and mountain maple I’m not really familiar with any other of the less common maples. 

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I’ll have to do some digging on samaras from more obscure acer trees. I’ve seen striped maple seeds (have one in the back woods) and they don’t look like this. Other than striped, boxelder, and mountain maple I’m not really familiar with any other of the less common maples. 

Those plus red and sugar complete the eastern natives (and some taxonomists break the latter into sugar and black maples.)  Whether any of the exotics look like that I don't know - the dendrology class didn't get into those.

On 8/29/2020 at 9:02 AM, tamarack said:

Those plus red and sugar complete the eastern natives (and some taxonomists break the latter into sugar and black maples.)  Whether any of the exotics look like that I don't know - the dendrology class didn't get into those.

heh...figured this one out today. They’re white pine seeds. I’ve never seen so many of them before. It looks like the red maples in the late spring.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Heavy Sept lawn..been dry even up here though. Less then .50" for the month and nothing in the pipeline precip wise it seems..hopefully the cool weather keeps it green.

20200911_173032_compress32.thumb.jpg.172ef5e2f2eb31bb4e32c23ea5aff56f.jpg

Man.. how are you green like that? You must have rained well this summer I miss those days... . This just kills me 

aOxw4Tg.jpg

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Man.. how are you green like that? You must have rained well this summer I miss those days... . This just kills me 

aOxw4Tg.jpg

Yea l, I saw your pics, that is really brutal man. Summer rain was probably close to average here, maybe a smidge below.  There were some dry spells in summer where there was some browning, but nothing like that.  5 years here lawn has never really gone fully dormant. Always seems to be enough timely rain. We get those hudson valley tornado alley cells that die out and just rain here..lol

5 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea l, I saw your pics, that is really brutal man. Summer rain was probably close to average here, maybe a smidge below.  There were some dry spells in summer where there was some browning, but nothing like that.  5 years here lawn has never really gone fully dormant. Always seems to be enough timely rain. We get those hudson valley tornado alley cells that die out and just rain here..lol

The early leaf change and drop is crazy. Even my Oaks started dropping some leaves this week. I’ve been here 15 years and in town for 20. Never have I seen anything close to this. The pond( good size) at bottom of my hill on 74 is 3/4 dry. It’s mainly just Lily pads and muck 

@OceanStWx

I'm not sure what might work specifically for lace bugs, but if it's possible, don't kill off any wasp nests as they're natural predators.

We've let wasps "be" this summer, as well as spiders and yellow jackets, and have had fewer bug issues than any past year.  It's hard to do when you have kids running around, but as long as the nest isn't on or in their play area, the wasps keep to themselves.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tunafish said:

@OceanStWx

I'm not sure what might work specifically for lace bugs, but if it's possible, don't kill off any wasp nests as they're natural predators.

We've let wasps "be" this summer, as well as spiders and yellow jackets, and have had fewer bug issues than any past year.  It's hard to do when you have kids running around, but as long as the nest isn't on or in their play area, the wasps keep to themselves.   

I got a root soak with imidacloprid for long term control. I don't like going with something that can affect pollinators, but I'm also not willing to lose hundreds of dollars in shrubs. Given that I'm not spraying it that should mitigate any collateral damage.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 8:47 PM, OceanStWx said:

Anyone have any tips for lacebug infestations? They've found all of my azaleas and both lily of the valleys. It's bad enough that I don't think a simple horticultural oil to control the eggs is going to be enough.

Looking into this a bit more... are they eating your plants?  Are they a green color? Apparently the green guys are beneficial.

Just now, tunafish said:

Looking into this a bit more... are they eating your plants?  Are they a green color? Apparently the green guys are beneficial.

They are not eating the leaves, but sucking the sap out. So they are turning white (and leaving eggs and poop on the undersides). They are not green in color but very light with brown spots. Definitely lacebugs.

Stephanitis_takeyai_(Tingidae_sp.),_Mook

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make sure you treat them again in the spring because they can put out a few generations in a season and multiply quickly. I’ve gotten some pure neem oil off of amazon and mixed it with mild soaps (like those dr bronners castille ones) and water and sprayed some plants with it with some success. That should protect the pollinators since neem only kills when it is eaten. The problem is you really have to saturate the leaves. The systemic non-organic insecticidal soaps work well too, but they probably harm the bees. The systemic ones allow you to just spray the tops of the leaves and then it works its way through the plant. Neem you would have to spray on both sides...kind of a PITA.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

Make sure you treat them again in the spring because they can put out a few generations in a season and multiply quickly. I’ve gotten some pure neem oil off of amazon and mixed it with mild soaps (like those dr bronners castille ones) and water and sprayed some plants with it with some success. That should protect the pollinators since neem only kills when it is eaten. The problem is you really have to saturate the leaves. The systemic non-organic insecticidal soaps work well too, but they probably harm the bees. The systemic ones allow you to just spray the tops of the leaves and then it works its way through the plant. Neem you would have to spray on both sides...kind of a PITA.

Yeah I just bought 100% neem oil and a gallon sized pump sprayer so I can maneuver the nozzle around to the underside of the leaves. My plan is to use neem solution the rest of this year, root soak early next spring, and then keep treating with the neem solution through the rest of the year. If that doesn't work I'll probably move to the systemic stuff.

But I have 3 azalea now and 2 Japanese Andromeda and they are all suffering from varying degrees of infestation.