• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020 Lesco & Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

Lawn is baked out at this point.  Even neighbors who water are struggling to keep things "green"
Plants, trees, shrubs are also showing the stress of lack of water.  
We've always had problems, but the lower section we put in couple years ago is gone. All weeds, grass non existent. Going to have to start over with more loam. Got estimate on irrigation system including well. . About $15K. That's not happening. I am going to buy an aerator though for entire property with the hope it helpsc5b5054bc8825e92225480e7ce663fa9.jpg

On 8/6/2020 at 12:11 PM, tamarack said:

We've occasionally had paper wasps in underground nests here - once did a partial striptease in my driveway (sometimes being at the end of a dead-end road is good) when those critters flew into my clothing on my 4th lawnmower pass by their hole in the ground.  They have kind of a reverse yellowjacket pattern, skinny yellowish stripes on a black background.

I had pest control over (I don't want the 2 year old wandering nearby) and what luck, some animal came along and dug out the nest between my mowing and his arrival. My guess is the Raid I used to knock down the swarm enticed some critter in to clean up the dead ones. What workers were left buzzing around looked like bald-faced hornets to him, but that surprised me given I saw no documentation of nesting underground. Either way they hurt, and I'm glad they're gone.

1 hour ago, HunterMT said:

Anyone here have native mt laurel?  Mine are experiencing leaf loss for several years.  These are very old specimens that used to bloom nicely.

I've been looking to get some for the yard myself, so I don't know much besides what I've researched. Any signs of fungus or pests?

Just now, Chrisrotary12 said:

What is the good fall window for this? Is it calendar based or temperature based?

Temps. Warm days, cool nights, less favorable time of year for weeds as well. Up here that's typically late August to early September, but as you push south it moves deeper into September. 

27 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Temps. Warm days, cool nights, less favorable time of year for weeds as well. Up here that's typically late August to early September, but as you push south it moves deeper into September. 

Its definitely better to be a little earlier than later. Couple factors are temps like you said,  and also increasing shade as the sun angle lowers. Last year I had to do an emergency seeding of an area like 20 x 20 that was an old garden bed that we were relocating. It was sometime late in mid/late Sept I want to say I did it which is way late in this area, which i knew but tried it anyway. It all came up ok, but never grew much as soil temps got chilly into OCT.   The biggest factor in not being totally successful was that area went from getting 10 hours of sun to 2 hours by OCT, so it had shade and soil temps dropping too fast.. If had started in AUG prob no issues.

Im starting an overseed right now in a small section to give it time to establish.

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Swamp maple in my neighbors yard is already turning red and throwing leaves. :o

Pretty much on schedule.  The wetland red maples seem to turn according to the calendar, while their upland relatives (and other species) react to both photoperiod and temperature.

Some 3/4-size acorns under the large (22" by 85') red oak behind the house.

Last week I worked on the neighbor's lawn a bit with a thatching rake after the storm. Lots of dead/dormant grass. Pretty impressed with how it is filling in and greening up in 5-6 days. Just goes to show how grass keeps growing in this heat with little rain if you get that crap out of it.

8 hours ago, amarshall said:

Has anyone ever tried sand to to level off a lawn?  I have a lot of bumps in my front yard that leads to scalping on my tractor.   Makes sense its what golf courses use on greens

I tried it for some low areas, it leveled it out fine but I didn’t use the right kind of sand, make sure you get the right sand. that area tends to dry out in the summer because the sand was too fine and gets hard packed. I have fine fescue and keep it long , I just raked it in the level it out, that part worked ok

• Thanks 1